Sign in to follow this  

Having A Go At Figs From Cuttings.

I've been planting some fig cuttings. Not tried this before, but have heard it is easy to get them to root.

If anyone is interested in gathering some cuttings and having a go,  there is a row of these trees opposite the part- demolished Guest & Chrimes building adjacent to the police station. The trees have had fruit on them, so are suited to the climate.

Edited by Janus

Was the fruit ripe? Being near the water I would think that it would be a bit chilly for them .

South facing and a sheltered position would be the best bet  for getting ripe figs.

Tomatoes and figs were quite common when the steel industry was thriving due to the warm water draining into the don.

When I first saw the trees 10th Oct, the figs that remained on the tree were green. I don't know if that is the colour of ripe figs. They looked large enough though to justify picking. Can figs be ripened at home:huh:

Regardless of the location  of the parent trees, there is always the opportunity to take cuttings, and  plant in an appropiate final growing position when large enough. 

I  read that throwing rubble etc in to the planting hole is helpful. Apparently this restricts root growth and results in  good crops of the figs. Seems strange but true. 

Edited by Janus
Additional info