Rishi Sunak Says, 'Retrain.'

Retrain ? What can a nurse retrain as ? Whoops, sorry we are in short supply of them aren’t we ?

I was reading that the government are recruiting  13,500  'Job Centre Plus work coaches' as part of this 'retraining' drive.

This brings back so many memories of the early 1980s of the job clubs, and the utter futility of unemployed welders retraining as brick layers and unemployed brick layers retraining as welders. Then you'd have ongoing lessons on how to 'upgrade your CV.' 

I do think that the situation is better this time around in that it's not just the people in places like the North East, North West, South Wales and much of Scotland that are suffering; it's people in the South East as well. So national journalists at least have some cognitive awareness that those made redundant aren't 'benefit scroungers' and 'work shy'. The blaming of the unemployed for being unemployed was vile.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

That took longer than I thought. 

In many cases the industry won't be there if things keep going the way they're going. You have companies trying to sell equipment for buttons that would have cost thousands 12 months back. Nobody will by it, why would they. It's not just musicians and actors not wanting to do something else (most did beforehand anyway) it's the entire industry behind them, venues, lighting etc. Once they go, they won't come back.

I assume that's yet another claim you cannot back up. 

Of course some won't go back, maybe they'll retrain and find a new career that they enjoy more, which is a good thing for them but to claim everyone who currently works in the arts will abandon it forever is pure fatuousness.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Retrain ? What can a nurse retrain as ? Whoops, sorry we are in short supply of them aren’t we ?

Given the level of academic acheivements needed to become a nurse I very much think that there would be an abundance of career options they could retrain for. However as you say we are in short supply therefore why would there be a need for them to do so?

26 minutes ago, Resident said:

I assume that's yet another claim you cannot back up. 

Of course some won't go back, maybe they'll retrain and find a new career that they enjoy more, which is a good thing for them but to claim everyone who currently works in the arts will abandon it forever is pure fatuousness.

Given the level of academic acheivements needed to become a nurse I very much think that there would be an abundance of career options they could retrain for. However as you say we are in short supply therefore why would there be a need for them to do so?

I didn’t claim everyone would. But there will be huge great gaps. 

But im not sure there are many companies who can trade after not making a penny in 12 months, or at best 10% of their usual turnover. I can’t prove it, we aren’t there yet, but if you explain how all these companies and venues will still be solvent by April - at best - with minimal income I’m all ears. Ditto for football leagues one and two. Entire season with no fans. They’ll be fine. Right?

On 10/10/2020 at 16:38, Mister M said:

This brings back so many memories of the early 1980s of the job clubs, and the utter futility of unemployed welders retraining as brick layers and unemployed brick layers retraining as welders. Then you'd have ongoing lessons on how to 'upgrade your CV.' 

Yep, me too, although in a more positive sense.

I was working in engineering in the 90s when we took on loads of ex-miners and retrained them to be machine operators and setters.  Most were happy to be working again and in a "hands-on" industry. 

I myself retrained not long after when the writing was on the wall for small engineering shops.

Edited by alchresearch

In other news, I’ve just seen a picture of rishi and he’s about 5 foot 6. I thought he was tall.

I think something needs to be done for older workers who have less of a chance of being re-employed, and may well be prevented from getting help on UC. Now that the pension age has been raised to 66 they may well find themselves having to support themselves for 5, even 10 years with no job. 

What a waste of experienced, skilled people, and what a way to end a lifetime's work.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

In other news, I’ve just seen a picture of rishi and he’s about 5 foot 6. I thought he was tall.

1.7 m according to the Internet or just a knat's eyebrow under 5' 7".

Funny I thought he was about 6 ft. He must always be standing, very, very far away on my tv?   Boris is just under 5' 9".

Edited by Baron99

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think something needs to be done for older workers who have less of a chance of being re-employed, and may well be prevented from getting help on UC. Now that the pension age has been raised to 66 they may well find themselves having to support themselves for 5, even 10 years with no job. 

What a waste of experienced, skilled people, and what a way to end a lifetime's work.

What evidence for that?    

If they allegedly have such prominent skills and experience that employers want they have as much opportunity as anyone else.   One could just as easily argue that younger workers have a hurdle to get jobs because they "lack experience".  It can work both ways. 

As for UC why may elders be prevented from getting help??   If a person is jobless the same criteria applies whether they are 25 or 55.   

If the concern is that elders dont get benefit because they have savings or assets built up -well unfortunately that's just tough.   I said on another thread that savings are there for spending on a rainy day.  Losing one's job is such a day.  Benefits should always be for those in genuine need not a couple with 20k in the Halifax account and a paid off £150k house.  

55 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

1.7 m according to the Internet or just a knat's eyebrow under 5' 7".

Funny I thought he was about 6 ft. He must always be standing, very, very far away on my 

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/britains-chancellor-of-the-exchequer-rishi-sunak-stands-news-photo/1206551116

Tiny!