Parking In Bakewell

The signs on this side street clearly prohibits vehicles except for necessary access, but the blue sign could be interpreted as "you can park as long as you don't go into town".  I would think the circled sign would've been sufficient.  Any comments?

KusUxI8.jpg

It isn't clear at all - perhaps it means you can park there if you want to go to the Rec over the road - but how on earth they could enforce it is beyond me.

Pretty sure it can't all be residents of Holywell parked on the rhs of the google earth pic.

for this to be enforced ,i would of thought a permit scheme would be the answer,if they didnt want visitors to bakewell to clutter up there street.

However the signs are interpreted take great care, I spend a lot of time in Bakewell and the wardens are like vultures, any little misdemeanour and they'll have you.

I found this on a pepipoo site  http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=50710

"I know this is an old post but my reply is for future readers...

Basically, this driver has past a legal road sign ‘Motor Vehicles Prohibited - Except for Access’

Once a motor vehicle enters this zone, the driver must be a resident of the street, a delivery vehicle with proof of access in the form of a delivery note, etc, refuse collectors, road/utility maintenance or trades persons working on a residents property with written verifiable evidence clearly displayed on dashboard, etc.

Ignorance of the signs or not seeing them is no mitigation in Court.

These signs are placed by the local council to address parking issues in the area that causes residents inconvenience. Examples are: train users using surrounding street as daily or long term parking, shoppers saving money by not using pay and display car parks, drivers attending major events such as football matches or concerts not wishing to use car parks to save money.

It is a ‘moving traffic offence’ which con stables in uniform can issue FPNs which is basically a Report for Summons to Magistrates Court is penalty not paid or driver wishes to dispute the ticket at Court. The police officer would know if the vehicle had been driven to the area as the vehicle can only have gotten there by passing the signage.

There’s no point in disputing the ticket as it is a proven offence, and the court will increase the fine to take into account admin costs and police wasted time should he/she be asked to attend. |"

Interesting. The sign itself is at one point on the road; but I assume it refers to a specific area of road (or roads)? Where does that area begin and end? I would assume it begins were the sign itself is (but maybe that's wrong), but for how far down the road does rule apply? 20 meters? Just under the sign itself? 20 miles? Seems rather vague to me, unless it's a cul-de-sac or there is another sign which defines the end of the zone?

Any thoughts?

There are two similar entry points from the main Bakewell road, this being one of them, and each one has this sign along with "ACCESS ONLY" painted on the road entrance. Both entry points lead into a network of cul-de-sacs.

I've never really understood how legally binding those signs can be.  What if you're visiting a resident, or perhaps going to drive past a house for sale?

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

I've never really understood how legally binding those signs can be.  What if you're visiting a resident, or perhaps going to drive past a house for sale?

Presumably you would fall within the definitions of legitimate access to the properties on the road.

Leaving a car there whilst one pops into town for a couple of hours I suspect would be a trickier argument.  

I have noticed they're re-worded it to say "access to premises". 

They usually just say "except for access" - which you could argue you wanted to access a parking space on a street using your taxed, tested and insured vehicle!  I think those signs are used more on rat-runs as I pass one on the way to work.

Edited by alchresearch

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I think that could be seen as legitimate access, but the blue sign confuses, not properly worded.

Yes, I have been stung on a Bakewell side road, along with plenty of others, where there was unclear signage.  The local parking enforcers must rake it in.  It feels very off-putting and has often made me think twice about spending my hard earned there.  I do love Bakewell but I tend to go in the evenings now to enjoy it, when it's a lot quieter and saves me a fortune!