Sign in to follow this  

Council election results

Originally posted by "maxt"

No Michael_t, I don't disagree with your statement about dissatisfaction with the Labour Party. I agree with you and I keep on at my MP in an effort to do something about it. Yes, pensioners should get more of my taxes than go towards asylum seekers. In my opinion, asylum seekers should be processed, housed and in society earning money and paying taxes to take the strain off my meagre contributions.

Without efforts from people who make their opinions known through the media, demonstrations, strikes, letters to their representatives and, dare I say it through the ballot box, we would still be living in a society run by the ruling classes with we peasants living in tied houses on feudal estates.

My point in this thread, and others, was that too many people complain in generalities thereby avoiding debate. It has cheered me no end to see you and Moon Maiden coming up with genuine concerns. Now, if I can persuade any councillors and MPs to visit this forum they can respond directly.

PS re the daffodils, you can't eat daffodils and we're not Welsh so what was the point??

Keep smiling.

:D:D:D

What would you do if the Asylum seekers were housed instead of you and earning money by doing a job that you could do but instead you was the one unemployed?

It seems to me that political dogma and common sense are mutually exclusive. Maybe we should keep politics out of local issues and vote for people according to their own merits and proposals. Now there's a novel idea, a local representative with a mind of her/his own.

Originally posted by "Jess"

It seems to me that political dogma and common sense are mutually exclusive. Maybe we should keep politics out of local issues and vote for people according to their own merits and proposals. Now there's a novel idea, a local representative with a mind of her/his own.

Mansfield's present situation is closest to that, I guess - an independent majority. Though quite how that works in practice I'm not sure - the parties with seats in Mansfield could still hijack a vote by deliberately voting one way (as is always the case here irrespective I'm sure of what each councillor believes). Shame we're so far away from having an independent majority in Sheffield - the only 'independent' is our Tory councillor!

Originally posted by "Michael_W"

I agree, the biggest problem I have with the Labour party and the Sheffield council is the Leftie, politically correct, 'do gooders' harbouring inside the party that traditionally represented the working class people of this country !

I am inclined to agree.

I am totoally resentful of Labours standing on Asylum, Europe, Minimum Wage and more.

Econmoic Advice from Gordon (2+2 = whatever I damn well choose) Brown

Leadership Advice on how to aggrivate the populous more from Tony (No, really George is a well balanced man) Blair

Reading Tips from David Blunkett

A Huge amount of money or promise of free trips (did someone mention Cherie Blair?)