Laptop Wont Switch On.

I have a Toshiba laptop. It won't  switch on. Power is getting to it as little white light on. But nothing happens when I press the start button. HELP!

8 minutes ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

I have a Toshiba laptop. It won't  switch on. Power is getting to it as little white light on. But nothing happens when I press the start button. HELP!

Had exactly the same with my Satellite 3 weeks ago. Only 6 years old, no advance warning, no clues.

Bad sectors on hard disc, plus fault on main board. Which caused which, I don't know.

Had it checked out - pointless to repair according to PC repair shop.

Chose to buy a recon Toshiba plus newer half-tb drive, £300.

Thanks Riffraff, Where did you purchase replacement? I only need a simple laptop. Don't need state of the art or games etc. Its a minefield when I look at Currys site!

7 minutes ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Thanks Riffraff, Where did you purchase replacement? I only need a simple laptop. Don't need state of the art or games etc. Its a minefield when I look at Currys site!

Give us an idea of your budget and we can show you what we would buy. Although you don't play games, it might be worth mentioning it's main use too. It's also worth looking on John Lewis, they usually give a 2 year warranty at no extra cost.

Last time I spoke to Currys they recommended a HP 14 AMD Ryzen 3. At the time, ages ago it was 299. Just looked and cant see it now. The prices are now more than that but I was told it was sufficient for my needs.

2 hours ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Long shot but have you tried removing the battery and cleaning the contacts ?

1 hour ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Killer-Byte in Dronfield.

Mine was shot, but doesn't mean yours is, by the way! Worth taking in and letting them check it out...

most laptops have error codes within the lights.  what model is it? and do any lights flash when you power it on?

You haven't ascertained if it's broken yet.

hold down the power button for six seconds

Is it making any beeping sounds when you press the start button and, if so, how many beeps?

If when you remove the Battery, from the Toshiba does it still not respond when power lead applied?

Remove battery, unplug power - hold power button for 10-15 secs... plug in power (leave battery out) and hold power button for 2/3 secs to see if it comes on...

if it does, boot it up, shutdown, reinstall battery and try again..

If not, then likely other things to check :)