Blades - Cover For Joc

Now the transfer windows is closed, one major issue for us is cover for the expected season-long absence of Jack O'Connell.  We apparently tried for the guy from Huddersfield, but he is still injured, and we didn't bring anybody else in as cover.  We can still borrow someone from a lower league, and a couple are being linked with us, particularly Ben Davis at Preston.

Personally, I'd rather we moved, and move quickly, for Craig Dawson at Watford.  I've always admired his defending at West Brom and Watford, and he kept cropping up with goals from corners at the other end as well.  No mug with the ball at his feet, and never looked out of his depth in moving forward either.  Sure to be on good money, and a relegated team may well be glad to get (presumably most of) his wages off the payroll as they settle in to the financial reality of the Championship.

We'd have to move quickly though, as West Ham are reportedly interested since Tomori let them down in their bid to take him on loan from Chelsea late last night.

Dawson would be a decent short term replacement agreed,  but why all the panic when we have Jagielka, Robinson, Ampadu, Bryan & Rodwell, yes remember him?. If non of these are suitable why are we employing them, I think Jags is CW's mate on a retirement pension at 38 tbh, and what are we paying him in wages that could be put towards a new signing(s),  I know he's been a legend at bdtbl but come on.Bryan & Rodwell same, why are they still at the club?. I here Danny Welbeck has left Watford, is he now a target?. Wilder has done miracles for is but he's trying to polish a brick into a gold nugget too often 

JOC is not only the joint tallest (at 6'3" with Basham), but is probably  the best in the air of our defenders.  We were again caught short in the air against Leeds, and the combative Dawson I think would be a good fit.  The only negative is that I think Chris wants a left-footer.

Of the others you mention, Jags and Rodwell are not fully match-fit, Bryan is out on a season-long loan, and I can't see the others facing the likes of Mitrovic in the air.  I thought Rodwell would go out in this window, but he hasn't.  I heard Jags is doing his badges with us, so perhaps he's being readied for a coaching role.  I don't think we'll be looking to bring another striker in, especially when we're trying to find some cash to pay a loan defender.

Watford want £4m for Dawson apparently 

Well worth it if Chris thinks it will help keep us up while JOC is out of action.