Win10 Iso, Same As Win10pro?

Hope the question makes sense?

I have a Win10 ISO on DVD and used it to move my old laptop from Win7 to Win 10 - it was Win 7 Home device and upgrade worked fine

I have an old desktop with Win7Pro on it - if I used the same ISO will it keep the "Pro" bit?

FWIW the ISO was  downloaded from Microsoft a few days ago, so it is the most recent (afaik) MS website tells me I will just  move to Win10 - almost like there is no Win10Pro, so slightly confused

I seem to remember you get the choice when you install from the ISO which version it is.

An ISO is just a disc image which you burn to DVD or USB (FWIW using a USB stick will be much faster than installing from a DVD), it has nothing to do with Pro, Home etc.

As far as I'm aware, Windows used to have different ISO's (or DVD's, CD's, etc) for different versions of the operating system but these days they're all bundled into one ISO so whatever version Windows 7 you have, it should detect and upgrade accordingly.

In my experience, but I stand to be corrected on this, there were different ISO's available with differing download areas, plus differing product Keys for the free upgrading route or the (pro to pro - like for like route) plus you could also download  one ISO for both 32bit plus 64bit versions? Or go the USB Stick route.

I confess I've not downloaded any of the more recent versions within the last month.

56 minutes ago, DeZeus said:

In my experience, but I stand to be corrected on this, there were different ISO's available with differing download areas, plus differing product Keys for the free upgrading route or the (pro to pro - like for like route) plus you could also download  one ISO for both 32bit plus 64bit versions? Or go the USB Stick route.

I confess I've not downloaded any of the more recent versions within the last month.

It definately used to be like that. Just checked on https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and it says :

"After downloading and installing, the tool will walk you through how to set up Windows 10 on your PC. All Windows 10 editions are available when you select Windows 10, except for Enterprise edition. For more information on Enterprise edition, go to the Volume Licensing Service Center."

They must have gotten fed up having to create multiple copies every time they tweaked things 😂

Just make sure it's a recent version of the Windows 10 ISO - download available from link above 👆

thanks folks, sounds like I got out of date - there used to be multiple versions, now consolidated. Will  proceed with the upgrade over the weekend, fingers crossed

I guess USB might be quicker, DVD is an old habit of mine having suffered multiple USB corruptions over the years (but no DVD)

just download the latest creation tool and update. no need for external media to load it onto first.  ( theres always a risk with major updates but MS have got a lot better in that area of updating )

also once updated and everything running well, run the disk cleanup tool as an administrator and remove the old version of windows ( will free up 20gb or so) with the caveat that you cant roll it back once you do.

Edited by stimpy