Mass Homelessness Soon?

The magic money tree has been shaken by Rishi very hard for the money to support businesses providing jobs to survive during the last full lockdown, and recent announcements for support during regional lockdowns, I can't see that the tree can drop any more leaves to build social housing just now or in the near future.  Businesses and jobs keep people alive and fed, and are what we should be looking after right now for the future.

8 hours ago, Def Cougar said:

The magic money tree has been shaken by Rishi very hard for the money to support businesses providing jobs to survive during the last full lockdown, and recent announcements for support during regional lockdowns, I can't see that the tree can drop any more leaves to build social housing just now or in the near future.  Businesses and jobs keep people alive and fed, and are what we should be looking after right now for the future.

Maybe they could use the billions we're owed for a refund for the Serco test and trace shambles, as a start.

the torys wont build social housing as ,when cameron wanted to do it was told it only builds more labour votes

Recent news re efforts to tackle homelessness. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/funding-allocated-for-3-300-new-homes-for-rough-sleepers

“More than 3,300 new long-term homes for rough sleepers and other vulnerable people have been approved, the Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick MP has announced today (29 October 2020).

Backed by government investment of more than £150 million the new homes will be made available in every region of England. This will enable people who sleep rough, or at risk of sleeping rough, to be rehoused in secure, long-term accommodation, providing some of the most vulnerable in society with a permanent place to live and help to rebuild their lives.” 

On 03/10/2020 at 20:21, nightrider said:

Well have noticed a lot of properties coming on the market for sale in recent weeks, others being reduced in price. As far as I know in general house sales season ends around now, so I wonder if the flux is people trying to sell before they lose their jobs?

I was reading an article  regarding the current housing activity. Reference to the 'stamp duty holiday'  not having much time left before it ends.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54746225

need to build lots of social housing/create jobs and get the jobless sorted,this is what england did after the war,in big debt,but created jobs,built housing,this returns taxes ect and lowers unemployment and starts to re-pay the debts,it worked before and can again.

The Government would rather let building companies build properties with the proviso that a certain amount of the properties are affordable housing. From what I have read a number of the builders have then gone back saying they cannot meet the number of affordable properties for one reason or another, after they have started building and been allowed to cut the number of affordable houses.

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

The Government would rather let building companies build properties with the proviso that a certain amount of the properties are affordable housing. From what I have read a number of the builders have then gone back saying they cannot meet the number of affordable properties for one reason or another, after they have started building and been allowed to cut the number of affordable houses.

The simple fact is: There are affordable properties (for sale) - they are just not necessarily where people 'want to live'. You can buy a two-up, two-down in Goldthorpe for around 50k (mortgage of around £200 a month... try and rent for that) and be in the city in  under 40 minutes by train. 

So what is required is that local/regional governments work hard to make these 'undesirable areas' more interesting for people to live. Start investing in local amenities, transport links and employment opportunities, that is what will unlock the housing market, not just continuing to build in desirable areas for inflated prices.

Just to pre-empt the question: Yes, I would live in Goldthorpe or other 'downtrodden' places if my budget asked that of me. If I made 14k a year? I'd rather start on the property ladder in a 50k property than throw £500 (that I can't miss!) at a rental property.

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

The simple fact is: There are affordable properties (for sale) - they are just not necessarily where people 'want to live'. You can buy a two-up, two-down in Goldthorpe for around 50k (mortgage of around £200 a month... try and rent for that) and be in the city in  under 40 minutes by train. 

So what is required is that local/regional governments work hard to make these 'undesirable areas' more interesting for people to live. Start investing in local amenities, transport links and employment opportunities, that is what will unlock the housing market, not just continuing to build in desirable areas for inflated prices.

Just to pre-empt the question: Yes, I would live in Goldthorpe or other 'downtrodden' places if my budget asked that of me. If I made 14k a year? I'd rather start on the property ladder in a 50k property than throw £500 (that I can't miss!) at a rental property.

This is what a lot of people used to do back in the 70's/80's. Seems to be out of fashion nowadays though.

2 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

34 minutes ago, nightrider said:

This is what a lot of people used to do back in the 70's/80's. Seems to be out of fashion nowadays though.

I don't think it's out of fashion so much as not always feasable. Can a person on a 0 hours contract get a mortgage? (genuine question.) Even on £14,000 I'm not sure mortgage companies would be keen. I don't think it's snobbery that makes people think twice about bad areas, but crime, drugs, poor schools, horrendous neighbours with mental health issues. etc. I don't think these problems were  rife in the 70s/80s. And I do know that most people in these areas are fine, but it's a bit of a lottery. If I had young children, particularly boys I'd be concerned.

Edited by Anna B

On 30/10/2020 at 11:16, Robin-H said:

Recent news re efforts to tackle homelessness. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/funding-allocated-for-3-300-new-homes-for-rough-sleepers

“More than 3,300 new long-term homes for rough sleepers and other vulnerable people have been approved, the Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick MP has announced today (29 October 2020).

Backed by government investment of more than £150 million the new homes will be made available in every region of England. This will enable people who sleep rough, or at risk of sleeping rough, to be rehoused in secure, long-term accommodation, providing some of the most vulnerable in society with a permanent place to live and help to rebuild their lives.” 

This is good news, but they'd better get a move on. I shall follow it's progress with interest

Trouble is this is just an announcement of intent, and with the Tories, what they promise and what they do are two different things....

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I don't think it's out of fashion so much as not always feasable. Can a person on a 0 hours contract get a mortgage? (genuine question.) Even on £14,000 I'm not sure mortgage companies would be keen. I don't think it's snobbery that makes people think twice about bad areas, but crime, drugs, poor schools, horrendous neighbours with mental health issues. etc. I don't think these problems were  rife in the 70s/80s. And I do know that most people in these areas are fine, but it's a bit of a lottery. If I had young children, particularly boys I'd be concerned.

People in low income jobs have never been able to get mortgages have they? Home ownership has never been above 73% in the UK. I can remember riots and all sorts in the 80's, not convinced these sorts of areas have ever been nice places to live.