Intelligent Rats And How To Exterminate

We are pulling our hair out here. Our neighbour has a delapidated shed at the bottom of her garden and rats are breeding in it. We told her over 6 months ago about it to which she didn't appreciate it but called out pest control. She never got them back to see if the treatment worked, however they are still a problem. It's costing us a fortune in bait and the traps we set they just seem to take the bait and somehow manage to not spring the trap! Should we pay for pest control when they are coming from her garden? Help!

just report it to Environmental Health at the Council - I'm pretty sure they will go round and tell her and sort it

She thinks we're getting at her cos of her hut which with one push will fall down but she blames us cos we feed the birds. I'll get enviromental health out

It may be hard but I would stop feeding the birds the food does attract them.

Maybe you could persuade her to set your traps in her she'd & kill everything at source?

Surely if you're got a problem with them, so had she & the other neighbours? 

Just a few Suggestions:

Borrow, then let loose several local stray hungry cats / dogs (e.g. Jack Russell's) round to yours...but don't feed them.

Not sure if you can still utilise a poachers fine bore shot gun on rats.. Or Air Rifles like you used to be able too, maybe it's classed as too in humane now?

yes they hate being near any cats,so attract or borrow a few cats,put them near the area,remove the poison though,that should sort it

Then what do you do? Let them free again?

14 hours ago, cherriepie said:

She thinks we're getting at her cos of her hut which with one push will fall down but she blames us cos we feed the birds. I'll get enviromental health out

I'd guess environmental health will also tell you to stop feeding the birds for a short time. They're in your garden because of food. Take that away, they won't visit.

2 hours ago, cherriepie said:

Great thanks I'll get one, anything is worth a try 👍

They're a bit fiddly to set up and there aren't any instructions. When you've folded the entrance back, there's a thin loop on it which has to hook over the bent end of a metal rod which runs the length of the cage. There's a loop in the middle of the rod which projects above the top of the cage and you have to wiggle it about so the bottom of the rod is on the right hand side of the metal plate where the bait goes. Once it's in position it ensures that the bent end of the rod at the entrance end holds firm and the thin loop will stay hooked over it. Try not to touch the cage with your hands but wear gloves or you may leave a human odour on the cage which frightens the rats away. I put leaves and branches over it to disguise it then release the rats into a woodland about half a mile away.