Individualism Vs Collectivism

Individualism stresses individual goals and the rights of the individual person. Collectivism focuses on group goals, what is best for the collective group, and personal relationships.

I see myself as being altruistic, but others often are just looking out for themselves. That may lead to more wealth, but is it good for society?

Where would you put yourself on the scale of individualism vs collectivism?

20 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I see myself as being altruistic, but others often are just looking out for themselves.

This is quite interesting in itself...

Do you think you are truly altruistic, or could it be a subconscious device to make you feel better about yourself (better than other people etc)?

I don't mean to sound hostile by the way. I'm sure I'm just as capable of subconscious self-flattery as the next chap!

Anyhow, as to the rest of your question, I think I'm more towards the self-interested end of the spectrum.

Probably a lot depends on context though; a person who has less means and resources will naturally be more self-interested (out of necessity), while a more affluent person may tend towards being altruistic because they like the way that makes them feel about themselves (and they like to be viewed positively by others); in both cases of course, one could argue it ultimately boils down to acting out of self interest.

Another consideration though, is that it may well be in our own personal best interests, for those around us to be doing well. I'm convinced that's true in fact. There may be cases where that's not true of course, but I think in most instances, general day to day life etc; we do better ourselves when those around us are also doing well, are prosperous and happy etc.

Edited by Waldo

I'd consider myself to be an individualist and I genuinely believe that it makes you more altruistic than being a collectivist. 

Reason being that an individualist quickly works out that it's better to be owed favours in return, than to think the world owes you a favour regardless of what you do.

Good topic @El Cid, so I fear it won't get much traction. ;) 

When copy and pasting, please also provide a link to the source. 

Thank you.

Edited by nikki-red

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

Individualism stresses individual goals and the rights of the individual person. Collectivism focuses on group goals, what is best for the collective group, and personal relationships.

I see myself as being altruistic, but others often are just looking out for themselves. That may lead to more wealth, but is it good for society?

Where would you put yourself on the scale of individualism vs collectivism?

Excellent question El Cid. 

I truly believe that if individuals can not develop and deploy themselves than that works against the collective good. As long as those that succeed remember that not everybody will be as successful than you have a recipe for success by developing individuals. 

1 hour ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

Has to be on the individual to look after himself, his family and then of course to be charitable to people who are struggling.

Collectivism just breeds idleness. It's human nature whereas some will stand back and let others take the burden, it's more than evident today. Way too many willing to take what's on offer and think they're entitled to it without the slightest willingness to contribute.

I sometimes pick up litter in my local area. I have sometimes organised a group litterpick. I concider that to be both collectivism and altruistic. In no way does it lead to idleness.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I'd consider myself to be an individualist and I genuinely believe that it makes you more altruistic than being a collectivist.  Reason being that an individualist quickly works out that it's better to be owed favours in return, than to think the world owes you a favour regardless of what you do.

Good topic @El Cid, so I fear it won't get much traction. ;) 

I believe that I am more introvert than the average, so makes be more altruistic, as some dont think enough about anything other than their own desires.

17 hours ago, El Cid said:

I sometimes pick up litter in my local area. I have sometimes organised a group litterpick. I concider that to be both collectivism and altruistic. In no way does it lead to idleness.

If you were altruistic you'd do your litter picking in somebody else's area.

You're acting for your own interests AND getting other people to do it for you.  Some would say that's pretty selfish. ;) 

(Answer kindly meant, not picking on you :) )

(Or your litter)

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you were altruistic you'd do your litter picking in somebody else's area.

You're acting for your own interests AND getting other people to do it for you.  Some would say that's pretty selfish. ;) 

(Answer kindly meant, not picking on you :) )

(Or your litter)

Just like Mps who occasionally don a high viz vest and pick up litter for the cameras. In fact, that's not like El Cid at all, it's far more individualsitic.

@tinfoilhat of course! The outcome is coincidentally good for the collective, but the motivation is individual. 

There are so very few truly altruistic people, maybe none. That's especially so for those who want to create a better world through the politics of forcing other people to do stuff different as a collective. Funnily enough those people always seem to see themselves in charge and giving orders that they approve of. Keep a beady eye on anyone who seeks power over others, especially if they want to change the world.

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

@tinfoilhat of course! The outcome is coincidentally good for the collective, but the motivation is individual. 

There are so very few truly altruistic people, maybe none. That's especially so for those who want to create a better world through the politics of forcing other people to do stuff different as a collective. Funnily enough those people always seem to see themselves in charge and giving orders that they approve of. Keep a beady eye on anyone who seeks power over others, especially if they want to change the world.

There are no altruistic politicians, anywhere.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

There are no altruistic politicians, anywhere.

Thanks to my opening post on this thread I couldn't possibly disagree with you :)