Buses Pulled Out Of Firth Park (Evenings) Anti Social Behaviour.

Guest busdriver1

Locals in Firth park been playing again? 

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/news-and-service-updates/current-issues/firth-park-service-diversions-due-anti

Both First and Stagecoach affected.

stagecoach info 

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-29/09/2020-13:06:29:368

Edited by busdriver1

was on a stagecoach bus yesterday that had eggs thrown at it during the middle of the day. think its time the gloves came off and the police clampdown on the area hard. i was on a bus last week and a group of 20 older schoolchildren caught the bus in town and the majority made no attempt to wear a mask there seems to be a belief that they are untouchable both from the virus and the police. its about time  they were shown they are not .

Very worrying, even the most progressive locals are becoming concerned.

14 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

Very worrying, even the most progressive locals are becoming concerned.

The locals are quite rightly concerned but theres silence from above  there are laws and guidelines in place but no one seems to want to enforce them and the local politicians are not or dont seem to be interested or certainly  there lack of communication suggest that.  The last time there was a serious politician in the area he predicted Page Hall and surrounding districts were a tinderbox  waiting to explode David Blunkett you was right. 

Edited by Tigerfan

South Yorkshire Police have tweeted:

Two teenagers have been arrested after a series of incidents in Firth Park, Sheffield, in which bus drivers have been threatened-

2 boys aged 15 and 13 have been arrested

https://www.southyorks.police.uk/find-out/news-and-appeals/2020/october-2020/two-arrested-after-bus-incidents-in-firth-park/

Edited by Hopman
too much white space

4 hours ago, Hopman said:

South Yorkshire Police have tweeted:

And they will get a slap on the wrist and told they're very naughty boys then released to do it all over again. 

and there lies the problem  I really feel sorry for the police. The youths have been arrested and out on bail but there is no deterrent.  No willingness it seems from local or national politicians to back the police with real sentencing.  I read the  other day a group of contractors did not follow Covid guidelines in the  Isle of Man no messing about they got 14 days in prison . The police must be fed up underresourced and unsupported come on people wake up . 

Tigerfan  Watch any of the police programmes on C5 like police Interceptors/Traffic police/'Police Code Zero and the like and you will have a vivid idea of just what a joke our justice system has become

Around 18 years ago, for several weeks, I had to catch a late/last bus that would run through Firth Park and on into the city centre. There were about 3 to choose from iirc. 

One of them would never stop, no matter what I did, even after I put my hand out for it and walked out into the road to make sure the driver could see me, it still wouldn't stop. Eventually I called SYPTE to complain. They told me that drivers were so afraid of violence on the late services, some of them simply refused to stop between certain points on a route - Firth Park being one of them. And there was nothing SYPTE could do about it.

This isn't a recent problem.

Does sort of indicate that if it's still going on, the authorities have been doing sod all about it though.

46 minutes ago, Fougasse said:

Around 18 years ago, for several weeks, I had to catch a late/last bus that would run through Firth Park and on into the city centre. There were about 3 to choose from iirc. 

One of them would never stop, no matter what I did, even after I put my hand out for it and walked out into the road to make sure the driver could see me, it still wouldn't stop. Eventually I called SYPTE to complain. They told me that drivers were so afraid of violence on the late services, some of them simply refused to stop between certain points on a route - Firth Park being one of them. And there was nothing SYPTE could do about it.

This isn't a recent problem.

Does sort of indicate that if it's still going on, the authorities have been doing sod all about it though.

You are absolutely right about time frame. This is certainly not a new phenomenon.

The trouble is there is no easy solution. I note already there are several people on this thread who have gone full Daily Mail and chanting the "...lock them up and throw away the key..."mantra however is there any real evidence that that is an effective deterrent. Nor would it be particularly favourable to the public purse. Prisoners cost time and money to be dealt with and that cost only ever increases the longer they serve.  Add on the fact that our prison population is already overburdened and that is hardly a great punishment.

Magistrates and Judges dont apply penalty on a whim.  The courts are bound to what the sentencing guidelines say - so they can hardly be at fault when, on paper,  they are dealing with what is are classed as minor offences and petty vandalism.  Whether we like it or not that offence comes with a certain limitations on what punishment can be applied.

Some say that Community Service may be given as punishment whilst others dismiss it as not enough arguing the criminals just treat it as a jolly get together with their friends.

Perhaps parents should more heavily involved into the punishments, after all its their offspring that's causing this disruption or maybe teachers and community services should be doing more at an education level......... The list is endless.  What is clear is there no binary answer.

People are far too quick to jump all over the transport companies and government demanding to know what they're doing about it without stopping to think what the potential answer is themselves or even if there is an answer.  It's an unfortunate fact that in every generation there are always, thankfully limited numbers, of moronic criminal element spoiling it for the rest of us. Petty crime, begging, vandalism, disruptive horseplay goes back to the  horse and carriage era. For all the the crackdowns, harsh punishments, initiatives and deterrents crime will never fully go away.   

Is it worse now than it was back in the 'good old days'??    Maybe. Who knows.  Is there more crime or do we just get know about it more and faster? 

The only thing I can hope about the current position is perhaps if locals are unhappy about the disruption to their bus services and locals also clearly know who the culprits are, a strong message will get delivered firmly and quickly.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

The only thing I can hope about the current position is perhaps if locals are unhappy about the disruption to their bus services and locals also clearly know who the culprits are, a strong message will get delivered firmly and quickly.  

That would appear to be the case here. Arrests have been made and I believe the buses are back on route. For now.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

You are absolutely right about time frame. This is certainly not a new phenomenon.

There has been however an escalation in the type of attacks. This series involved the use of BB guns and they have far greater capability to injure than what happened years ago.

18 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The trouble is there is no easy solution. I note already there are several people on this thread who have gone full Daily Mail and chanting the "...lock them up and throw away the key..."mantra however is there any real evidence that that is an effective deterrent.

Yes plenty if they are locked up then they can not commit crime whilst they are locked up

I DO NOT read the daily mail and never have far too left wing for me