Rolls Royce  In Major Financial Trouble.

On 03/10/2020 at 21:40, Janus said:

What a mess eh?

There must be a massive hole in the revenue that the government is receiving now from income tax & vat.

Big businesses going bust  may well have an effect on private and workplace pensions. What next? A reduced state pension  and also unemployment benefits? 

They are barely enough to live on as it is. Amongst the smallest in Europe. I don't see how they can be reduced any more.

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

They are barely enough to live on as it is. Amongst the smallest in Europe. I don't see how they can be reduced any more.

Just you watch!

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Just you watch!

Yes you may well be right. So after years of austerity when the poorest suffered mightily, they are about to get clobbered yet again.

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's not barely enough. No-one can live on £90 a week. Most (all?) peoples rent will be more than £360 a month, as would their mortgage. Then they have to pay council tax and bills on top.

19 hours ago, Mossway said:

I’m no Ace investor, but I had 332 RR shares in my SIPP and RR had, pre Covid, a big problem with the Trent 1000 engine. I baled out in Aug 2019 and sold at £7-67. per share.  If I’d held on to them they would be worth a total of c £405 today. I wouldn’t touch them now.

When RR initiates the 'rights issue' that is planned, all their shares are diluted and are then worth even less.

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

I doubt it will be reduced, it just wont be increased by as much as it might have been otherwise

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes you may well be right. So after years of austerity when the poorest suffered mightily, they are about to get clobbered yet again.

The swing in votes to Tories mostly came from those same poorest voting them in due to Brexit.

Play with fire, get burned.

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

It's not barely enough. No-one can live on £90 a week. Most (all?) peoples rent will be more than £360 a month, as would their mortgage. Then they have to pay council tax and bills on top.

Where you getting £90 a week from?   Basic state pension for a full contribution is over £175 a week.  On top of that, for those who need further support there are still potential discounts on council tax, heating allowances, housing support and pension credits. 

Of course for those who didn't pay in full get a lesser amount but that was only to be expected and should be planned for. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

51 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

I doubt it will be reduced, it just wont be increased by as much as it might have been otherwise

I read somewhere that those on benefits will be £1000 worse off next year.

18 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Where you getting £90 a week from?   Basic state pension for a full contribution is over £175 a week.  On top of that, for those who need further support there are still potential discounts on council tax, heating allowances, housing support and pension credits. 

Of course for those who didn't pay in full get a lesser amount but that was only to be expected and should be planned for. 

I was referring to unemployment benefits. UC is around £90 a week isn't it?

Even if there is no reducton in benefits, it would not surprise me if the government put a freeze on the usual increase.

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

I was referring to unemployment benefits. UC is around £90 a week isn't it?

Is UC the umbrella term for a multitude of benefits?-For example ESA in all it's variations and amounts  that differ depending on the group a claiment is in?

Edited by Janus
Typo

On 03/10/2020 at 19:30, tzijlstra said:

Rolls Royce, Bombardier, Airbus, British Airways, Ryanair, EasyJet, Thomas Cook (RIP), TUI, Royal Shell, BP, the airports, ferry companies, SME pubs/restaurants/hotels, small shops... they're all about to collapse. 

It has been reported that it is the first time in the company's 25 year history   that Easyjet has not  made a profit. 

Apparently they are facing losses of more than £800 million.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54454202

Edited by Janus