39 Storey Building For City Centre?

On 30/09/2020 at 16:22, butlers said:

Don't agree, city centre is much improved.

After a long pause after the last recession nice to see cranes popping up again.

Cranes have been 'popping up' or have been a pretty much constant view of the city skyline for at LEAST the last 20 years... and the city center has been a building site for pretty much the past 15 years or so.....

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

Cranes have been 'popping up' or have been a pretty much constant view of the city skyline for at LEAST the last 20 years... and the city center has been a building site for pretty much the past 15 years or so.....

I like several of the additions in the past years, I am not sure this is one of those, but as mentioned, that whole area around the old market needs investment right now. It is easy to sit in an armchair and reminisce how everything was better, the difficulty is sitting in that same chair and remember all the bad stuff from 'back in't day'.  I still hear people go on about 'the hole in the road' - same effect, remembering how unique it was and conveniently forgetting that for years it was full of druggies and alcos; most definitely not a place you'd happily walk your family to go shopping. 

I can't wait till it's built and residents are moved in. 

Then I'll wait for the flood of noise complaints because of buses and taxis.... 

You know it'll happen, just like the plebs that complain about noise from nearby race tracks and try to get them closed even though their house is 5 year old and the track has existed since the 1950s.....

39 minutes ago, Resident said:

I can't wait till it's built and residents are moved in. 

Then I'll wait for the flood of noise complaints because of buses and taxis.... 

You know it'll happen, just like the plebs that complain about noise from nearby race tracks and try to get them closed even though their house is 5 year old and the track has existed since the 1950s.....

You've forgotten to mention the rumble of the trams as they pass. 

Its never going to happen is it? People are moving out of cities in the UK in droves.

6 hours ago, sedith said:

Its never going to happen is it? People are moving out of cities in the UK in droves.

Are they???    Where they are moving to live then?

With multiple retail units lingering empty the hospitality industry about to take one hell of a bashing, residential development seems to be only thing that is progressing.

It could be argued that the the increasing environmental awareness, obvious discouraging of car use and trend of people seeking to living much closer to their work/study....... city centre living may well be on the increase.

Edited by ECCOnoob

41 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

With multiple retail units lingering empty the hospitality industry about to take one hell of a bashing, residential development seems to be only thing that is progressing.

It could be argued that the the increasing environmental awareness, obvious discouraging of car use and trend of people seeking to living much closer to their work/study....... city centre living may well be on the increase.

I'm sure I read a report in The Star a while back on the increase in population in Sheffield & the biggest increase was in city centre living, primarily it was down to all the student accommodation that's sprung up but you've also got a number or residential apartments as well. 

I wonder where they designate the city centre to be?  Within the ring road which partly surrounds the city?  This new 39 storey development would certainly fall within that, although it's one thing putting up the buildings, another thing filling them. 

On 12/12/2020 at 10:10, Baron99 said:

You've forgotten to mention the rumble of the trams as they pass. 

Quite right. I had. 

22 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I'm sure I read a report in The Star a while back on the increase in population in Sheffield & the biggest increase was in city centre living, primarily it was down to all the student accommodation that's sprung up but you've also got a number or residential apartments as well. 

I wonder where they designate the city centre to be?  Within the ring road which partly surrounds the city?  This new 39 storey development would certainly fall within that, although it's one thing putting up the buildings, another thing filling them. 

Lots of it is student living but the permanent non-student increase in the city centre population is just as healthy in Sheffield and most other big UK cities. Certainly nothing like 'people leaving in their droves', so I'm not sure where sedith is getting that from...

On 30/09/2020 at 09:47, Rockers rule said:

Instant tourist attraction - job's a good un.

Tourist attraction ... what tourism?

On 12/12/2020 at 21:17, ECCOnoob said:

They are moving to the countryside, simply no need to live in a city anymore! More and more people are moving to the peak district, south west, south coast,  east coast, north wales etc.

On 30/09/2020 at 09:47, Rockers rule said:

Instant tourist attraction - job's a good un.

Tourist attraction ... what tourism?

Park Hill, Kelvin, Norfolk Park ... what could possibly go wrong?