39 Storey Building For City Centre?

38 minutes ago, Wazzock said:

and the comments on here perfectly demonstrate the small town backwater mentality that pervades this forum...

Or that many of us, as Bigal1 has pointed out, we've seen it all before. 

Personally if you look at my original posting, I've nothing derogatory to say about it.  I actually like it & investment in this area of the city is sadly needed, especially now as the majority of retailer is moving towards The Moor / Barkers Pool area. 

I've no objection to it, providing it is built as the developers state

What do you think of it Wazzock?  You've not offered an opinion on it only criticism of those posting. 

Over to you? 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Wazzock said:

and the comments on here perfectly demonstrate the small town backwater mentality that pervades this forum...

Not just this forum.  Sheffield Online had the same moans - "its too tall", "it looks out of place", "why more student apartments" (even though it isn't for students)

Have to say that I like it, and I doubt there are many developers queueing up to build in what is an area of the city on its uppers. 

2 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Standard practice with developers. Make a lot of promises to the planners when seeking approval and then go back on your word - we will build x number of affordable houses and so on

what happens nothing whatsoever the council roll over and continue to grant the company further work

What powers do you think the council legally has in such a situation? Not saying I agree with it, but does the council have the powers to enforce strict adherence to the original scheme?

19 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Developers have submitted plans for a 39 storey building on the site of the old Primark site, just down from the High Street. 

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2020/09/29/plans-in-for-39-storey-sheffield-tower/

Looks very distinctive & the developers state, "The building will be clad in white brick-slips at the lower levels, with portland stone fluted columns for the higher floors." 

All well & good but the developers of the City Limits / Conran Tower at the Peace Gardens was supposed to be clad in metal plating that would slowly change to burnished bronze & gold in colour.  Until of course the developers stated that they could no longer afford this type of building material & they were prepared to walk away from a half built building, unless SCC agreed to them changing the specifications & allowing them to use a cheaper, plastic cladding. 

Where do they get 'Castlegate area' from ?

no no, no and no... will look so out of place, such an eyesore there.... will take way from the Cathedral area etc

17 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

Perfect location for popping for a pint in The Bankers Draft or The Hen and Chickens.

Or Dove and Rainbow..... 

4 hours ago, Wazzock said:

Have you lived and grown up in Sheffield? have you watched it turn from a vibrant, fun place to a total crap hole in the past 25 years or so?

Don't agree, city centre is much improved.

After a long pause after the last recession nice to see cranes popping up again.

I think the pandemic reccesion will kill a lot of construction.working from home will lead to less office space needed.

21 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Have to say that I like it, and I doubt there are many developers queueing up to build in what is an area of the city on its uppers. 

What powers do you think the council legally has in such a situation? Not saying I agree with it, but does the council have the powers to enforce strict adherence to the original scheme?

Don't know whether they can enforce  adherence to the original scheme or not but, there is no point having a planning department and going through all that red tape if they can't.

I think modern Sheffield is a mess with a hotch potch of totally different designs stood side by side.  No long term planning has ever taken place at all.

In any case, it would have made much more sense if the new Market had been built there which is where Sheffield's Fitzalan Market originally was (hence the name, Market Square) before the move to Castle Gate.

After the terrible tragedy of  Grenfell Tower, I'm surprised that anyone would want to build up to 39 storeys.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Don't know whether they can enforce  adherence to the original scheme or not but, there is no point having a planning department and going through all that red tape if they can't.

I think modern Sheffield is a mess with a hotch potch of totally different designs stood side by side.  No long term planning has ever taken place at all.

In any case, it would have made much more sense if the new Market had been built there which is where Sheffield's Fitzalan Market originally was (hence the name, Market Square) before the move to Castle Gate.

After the terrible tragedy of  Grenfell Tower, I'm surprised that anyone would want to build up to 39 storeys.

Thank you I was going to say the same - what is the point of applying for planing permission if you don't have to adhere to it.  I think that the council do have powers to enforce it just that they often do not bother and are manipulated by the developers

On 30/09/2020 at 12:13, Baron99 said:

Or that many of us, as Bigal1 has pointed out, we've seen it all before. 

Personally if you look at my original posting, I've nothing derogatory to say about it.  I actually like it & investment in this area of the city is sadly needed, especially now as the majority of retailer is moving towards The Moor / Barkers Pool area. 

I've no objection to it, providing it is built as the developers state

What do you think of it Wazzock?  You've not offered an opinion on it only criticism of those posting. 

Over to you? 

I like the curved frontage, the back not so much.

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

Thank you I was going to say the same - what is the point of applying for planing permission if you don't have to adhere to it.  I think that the council do have powers to enforce it just that they often do not bother and are manipulated by the developers

The planning system is heavily weighted in favour of the developer. That's the way the government want it and they've set up a planning system which reflects that.

Developers know very well how to manipulate the system and what they can and can't get away with.

Councils have limited resources and have to pick their fights carefully. They also have to think whether, if they want to impose too onerous conditions, the developer will just walk away and build somewhere else. That's a real problem for areas which struggle to attract development. Developers are of course well aware of this and use it to their advantage.

On 30/09/2020 at 11:34, Wazzock said:

Agreed. Left 10 years ago, good to see the same negativity is STILL holding Sheffield back.