39 Storey Building For City Centre?

12 hours ago, sedith said:

Tourist attraction ... what tourism?

They are moving to the countryside, simply no need to live in a city anymore! More and more people are moving to the peak district, south west, south coast,  east coast, north wales etc.

Source?

I am certainly not seeing some mass exodus to the coast, countryside and Peak District.

Where are all these thousands of ex city dwellers suddenly living? I don't recall the Peak District being known for its mass housing developments for example.

Are you sure you are not applying the downturn in populous in London to mistakenly assume that this applies to every other city.....That is certain not the case.

In fact it could be reasonably argued that the decline in demand for office and retail units is allowing people to  reclaim their city centre a somewhere to live again.

Mixed use is the big buzzword in the architectural world at the moment and I don't believe that just because people are not travelling to the office automatically means that they want to live in the middle of nowhere. People still like amenities. People still like urban environments.

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Source?

I am certainly not seeing some mass exodus to the coast, countryside and Peak District.

Where are all these thousands of ex city dwellers suddenly living? I don't recall the Peak District being known for its mass housing developments for example.

Are you sure you are not applying the downturn in populous in London to mistakenly assume that this applies to every other city.....That is certainly not the case.

I was under the impression that City living was the growing trend

13 hours ago, sedith said:

They are moving to the countryside, simply no need to live in a city anymore! More and more people are moving to the peak district, south west, south coast,  east coast, north wales etc.

Think someone has been reading too much into articles like this.

Covid exodus begins: One in ten city dwellers plan to move to the country or coast, new ONS figures reveal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8773399/Covid-exodus-begins-One-ten-city-dwellers-plan-country-coast.html

Lockdown house-swapping trend sees the wealthy make their country boltholes 'home' while city properties become somewhere to stay near work

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-8714091/Lockdown-trend-sees-wealthy-make-country-boltholes-home.html

On 20/12/2020 at 22:40, sedith said:

Park Hill, Kelvin, Norfolk Park ... what could possibly go wrong?

Why are you naming places that no longer exist?

I went into the city centre yesterday for the first time since June and it was interesting to see some of the new developments taking place.

I think the new block next to the Jurys hotel on Arundel gate looks really good, also the development next to the new HSBC offices is several floors high now.

I’d also never noticed the development on the corner of Milton street and Fitzwilliam street, several towers looking close to completion.

It’s good to see the work continuing despite Covid, as I remember during the financial crisis lots of work ground to a halt which doesn’t seem to be happening this time.

The 39 storey building gets another mention but this link provides a list of ambitious development projects that are due to commence or re-started, (due to COVID), in 2021.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/looking-brighter-future-new-developments-coming-sheffield-2021-3092074

There are some major developments here, not least the closure of Sheaf St, (think that's been mentioned before), more student flats for Pond St / Flat St, opposite the Penny Black, (that makes sense given the Hallam Uni as neighbours) but also a large scale development in the Queens Rd area. 

Does anyone know if this is another deal between Sheffield Council and Chinese developers?

4 hours ago, Kay9 said:

Does anyone know if this is another deal between Sheffield Council and Chinese developers?

Its not.

Do you know who it is then, Bargepole?

1 hour ago, Kay9 said:

Do you know who it is then, Bargepole?

SFGE Properties. Registered in Ashford, England. Mentioned in the news link in the OP.