Parking At The Northern General During The Pandemic

On 02/10/2020 at 10:57, busdriver1 said:

I think we are looking at transport snobbery here, the bus is perfectly adequate and runs from most directions to the hospital without causing major disruption to other road users and being a drain on local finances.

Living in Stannington using public transport to the NGH is problematic given the number of missing buses on the 81 route. I decided to use the H1 and pick it up behind Morrisons' car park, where I left the car. I was there in plenty of time, time enough in fact to have another bus pull up at the stop and the H1 to sail past as the driver could not see me frantically waving.

Needless to say, that is not something I'm willing to try again.

3 hours ago, max said:

Living in Stannington using public transport to the NGH is problematic given the number of missing buses on the 81 route. I decided to use the H1 and pick it up behind Morrisons' car park, where I left the car. I was there in plenty of time, time enough in fact to have another bus pull up at the stop and the H1 to sail past as the driver could not see me frantically waving.

Needless to say, that is not something I'm willing to try again.

H1 is for NHS staff only now after Covid and runs non-stop from Hallamshire/NGH as far as I'm aware.

Thanks everyone - in the end there was plenty of parking so a bit of a change from earlier in the year. Going by bus just wasn't an option for me as it's far quicker to drive especially with limited time between finishing work and the appointment time. 

I was searching for advice hence why I've tagged onto this older post.

Can anyone recommend parking at or around the Northern General?

I had an appointment this week and found the parking a little challenging. I'm likely to have further appointments there and looking for recommendations.

As the Hallamshire is closer to me I was planning to park near there and take the H1 bus but as I found later it's only for staff at the moment and even they struggle with the limited seating.

Fortunately, I set off early not being familiar with the site. I arrived an hour before my appointment and made it to the department with 10 mins to spare. It's a bit of maze and I must have tried every car park in the place and all were full, in some people were sat waiting in the hope a space would free up.  In the end I found a really tight space between cars on Herries Road. I noticed that mine and a few others were parked on a yellow line and further up there were no road markings. As I was running out of time I took the chance I'd get a ticket, which I didn't.

On 29/04/2021 at 18:09, chipfork said:

I was searching for advice hence why I've tagged onto this older post.

Can anyone recommend parking at or around the Northern General?

I had an appointment this week and found the parking a little challenging. I'm likely to have further appointments there and looking for recommendations.

As the Hallamshire is closer to me I was planning to park near there and take the H1 bus but as I found later it's only for staff at the moment and even they struggle with the limited seating.

Fortunately, I set off early not being familiar with the site. I arrived an hour before my appointment and made it to the department with 10 mins to spare. It's a bit of maze and I must have tried every car park in the place and all were full, in some people were sat waiting in the hope a space would free up.  In the end I found a really tight space between cars on Herries Road. I noticed that mine and a few others were parked on a yellow line and further up there were no road markings. As I was running out of time I took the chance I'd get a ticket, which I didn't.

I have to go to both  NGH  and Hallamshire from time to time  and have found NGH  100% better parking  you will allways find a spot to park in at NGH  if i get an appointment for Hallamshire i try to swap it for NGH  not allways  lucky

5 hours ago, rodbender said:

I have to go to both  NGH  and Hallamshire from time to time  and have found NGH  100% better parking  you will allways find a spot to park in at NGH  if i get an appointment for Hallamshire i try to swap it for NGH  not allways  lucky

Over the years all my appointments have been at the Hallamshire but now some services have moved to the NGH. I can certainly relate to challenges to parking at the Hallamshire, timing is critical if you want to make the main car park, failing that there is now the QPark which has made a difference. I often park in the Wetherspoons close by and use their pay and display. I've always found somewhere to park. If I get the option I will be choosing the Hallamshire in future. 

I imagine timing is a big factor at the NGH, my appointment was late morning and I was among many cars circling round the many car parks without success. Where's best to first try and find a space? Failing that are there any streets worth a try? I don't mind a walk if it means I'm not spending 40 mins driving round hunting spaces.

On 02/05/2021 at 19:04, chipfork said:

Over the years all my appointments have been at the Hallamshire but now some services have moved to the NGH. I can certainly relate to challenges to parking at the Hallamshire, timing is critical if you want to make the main car park, failing that there is now the QPark which has made a difference. I often park in the Wetherspoons close by and use their pay and display. I've always found somewhere to park. If I get the option I will be choosing the Hallamshire in future. 

I imagine timing is a big factor at the NGH, my appointment was late morning and I was among many cars circling round the many car parks without success. Where's best to first try and find a space? Failing that are there any streets worth a try? I don't mind a walk if it means I'm not spending 40 mins driving round hunting spaces.

Sorry for the late reply Chipfork  i forgot to say that i am a blue badge holder maybe that is why i find it quite easy to find a parking spot