Parking At The Northern General During The Pandemic

Guest busdriver1
8 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Plenty of buses run to the NGH from most parts of Sheffield. Use the public transport that is already provided maybe...

Can use the Park and Ride at Meadowhall Interchange and catch the 95/95A buses that drop you off at the Barnsley Road entrance every 10 mins during the daytime.

I think we are looking at transport snobbery here, the bus is perfectly adequate and runs from most directions to the hospital without causing major disruption to other road users and being a drain on local finances.

@Becky B

Are both carparks at Morrisons currently being used for NHS staff only?  I've not been this year. 

@Michael_N

Probably ok if living in Sheffield.  From Rothetham I understand it would be 6 buses including the return, and the time factor to consider.

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, Janus said:

@Becky B

Are both carparks at Morrisons currently being used for NHS staff only?  I've not been this year. 

@Michael_N

Probably ok if living in Sheffield.  From Rothetham I understand it would be 6 buses including the return, and the time factor to consider.

I live in Rotherham and can do it with 2 buses, but there again I can use a timetable and route map. I dont, I use my car as I want to spend as little time as possible in that area.

31 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I live in Rotherham and can do it with 2 buses, but there again I can use a timetable and route map. I dont, I use my car as I want to spend as little time as possible in that area.

😂

4 hours ago, Bilge said:

We need the tram extending to cover all the hospitals, NGH especially. With Park and Ride areas at the outer stops.

If Sheffield City Region fully 'takes back control' of transport services (like they've always been able to do in London) then this is the sort of thing we can build.

SCR wouldn't be able to build tram extensions without government funding, even in the devolved funding scenario that comes with having a mayor.

The control they have in London is about franchising of routes and having a unified fares structure and one brand. That is now possible outside London in regions with a mayor, but no-one has done it so far. There are good reasons for that, as have been debated in other threads.

Obviously all major transport infrastructure projects require central govt funding. London has got a huge slice of the cake for decades, but 'oop North' we always get next to nowt. SCR  is at least now starting to ask for a bigger share. Franchises and branding etc is all part of the package.

4 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Plenty of buses run to the NGH from most parts of Sheffield. Use the public transport that is already provided maybe...

Can use the Park and Ride at Meadowhall Interchange and catch the 95/95A buses that drop you off at the Barnsley Road entrance every 10 mins during the daytime.

If the bus services were even adequate then far less people would drive or use taxis. Buses are great but often get stuck in traffic, have  long routes with loads of stops, are infrequent at night and at weekends etc etc. Not surprisingly they are unattractive to many travellers for at least some journeys. From my house it's 15 mins drive to NGH or over an hour on 2 buses.

5 hours ago, Janus said:

@Becky B

@Michael_N

It’s the H1 bus that’s NHS staff only, not Morrisons car parks...

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Bilge said:

Obviously all major transport infrastructure projects require central govt funding. London has got a huge slice of the cake for decades, but 'oop North' we always get next to nowt. SCR  is at least now starting to ask for a bigger share. Franchises and branding etc is all part of the package.

London also has approx 5 times the population chipping in for the transport services they get. To have a similar setup here would require a proportional increase in local funding. Then remember the London model is losing money hand over fist. Come on Turkeys, lets vote for Christmas.

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Bilge said:

If the bus services were even adequate then far less people would drive or use taxis. Buses are great but often get stuck in traffic, have  long routes with loads of stops, are infrequent at night and at weekends etc etc. Not surprisingly they are unattractive to many travellers for at least some journeys. From my house it's 15 mins drive to NGH or over an hour on 2 buses.

That is the definition of a bus service. Bus - comes from Omnibus - FOR ALL

As a result they rarely offer a tailor made service door to door but are a compromise. They are also the victims of snobbery where people would not be seen on the "peasant wagon" as they get described so often on this forum.

From my house by bus it is over an hour to central Sheffield. There is no faster option as the one that was tried, failed in a big way as people just dont want to go there in numbers. Thats fine by Me. I dont go there unless I have to and drive when I do to ensure my personal safety.

Went about a month ago, maybe 11am, can't remember which car park letter it was but the car park machines were out of action and it was free. Can't complain.

On 02/10/2020 at 04:07, alexander874 said:

Yes it's NHS staff only at the moment.

Cheers for that, glad I re-visited this thread as I've an appointment next month and was planning on catching it.