Parking At The Northern General During The Pandemic

I was wondering if anyone could comment on what parking is like at the Northern General at the moment. I nearly missed an appointment at the beginning of the year as it took me so long to find a space, and I understand that my experience then was not uncommon. 

I have another appointment tomorrow and need to decide how early to start off. I wonder if Covid visiting restrictions have improved the situation, although I understand that parking is free at the moment so that might have increased demand. 

Edited by nikki-red

Earlier this year I got so frustrated trying to park for a series of outpatient appointments at the NGI that I gave up altogether and used taxis at some cost every time until outpatient flow decreased rapidly with the COVID19 situation. Recently however I was invited back into the NGI for my first appointment in months. With trepidation I took my car and was amazed, not only at the number of free spaces at 8.30 on a Wednesday a fortnight ago, but parking was also FREE, with the payment machines covered  up. I gather the current reduction in demand for spaces is due to (a) many staff being furloughed (b) many fewer outpatient appointments and (c) probably fewer visitors for a reduced number of in patients.

Good luck for tomorrow, I obviously can't guarantee your experience will be the same as mine, but fingers crossed it will be 🤞😊

Edited by silverglade5

Point of order - I'm not sure any staff at NGH are being furloughed...

As for the parking, it has looked quite empty this week, but as I go on my bike it's hard to be specific!

Went at 8.30  last mon on a blue badge they were queing to get in but its always same blue badge car park to small but you can find some were if you can walk okay for a hosp they blue badge holders 

pathetic

If I have to attend NGH, I park outside and walk in.

If you want to know where then pm me.

11 hours ago, Runningman said:

If I have to attend NGH, I park outside and walk in.

If you want to know where then pm me.

I always park on Herries Rd, if you can't get a spot above the entrance then there's always space on the road opposite the ambulance entrance just above where Sheffield Windows used to be.

On one occasion in 2017 I drove from Rotherham and parked at Firth Park. Then got a taxi from there up to the hospital, as I knew what the hospital parking was like. Taxi back to car after appointment.

I reckon it is maybe a mile each way. Not having to pay for parking offsets part of the taxi fee. Not expensive, and is stress free.

Alternatively, if you're mobile and coming from the right direction, park in the car park at Hillsborough Morrisons, and walk down to the bus stop outside B&Q, where the H1 passes every half hour.
It's the ferry service bus between RHH  &  NGH; stops at the clock tower at NGH.

Edited by peak4

1 hour ago, peak4 said:

Alternatively, if you're mobile and coming from the right direction, park in the car park at Hillsborough Morrisons, and walk down to the bus stop outside B&Q, where the H1 passes every half hour.
It's the ferry service bus between RHH  &  NGH; stops at the clock tower at NGH.

I'm not sure that's open for the public at the moment.  I saw one of them today that had a sign in the windscreen saying "NHS staff only"...

6 hours ago, Becky B said:

I'm not sure that's open for the public at the moment.  I saw one of them today that had a sign in the windscreen saying "NHS staff only"...

Yes it's NHS staff only at the moment.

We need the tram extending to cover all the hospitals, NGH especially. With Park and Ride areas at the outer stops.

If Sheffield City Region fully 'takes back control' of transport services (like they've always been able to do in London) then this is the sort of thing we can build.

48 minutes ago, Bilge said:

We need the tram extending to cover all the hospitals, NGH especially. With Park and Ride areas at the outer stops.

If Sheffield City Region fully 'takes back control' of transport services (like they've always been able to do in London) then this is the sort of thing we can build.

Plenty of buses run to the NGH from most parts of Sheffield. Use the public transport that is already provided maybe...

Can use the Park and Ride at Meadowhall Interchange and catch the 95/95A buses that drop you off at the Barnsley Road entrance every 10 mins during the daytime.