We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

'Under New Management'

Welcome!  You've got some boots to fill!  I love the forum and commend Geoff and the moderators for their efforts that have brought the forum to what it is and for providing this awesome platform.

The moderation team do a fantastic job without which the forum wouldn't exist as it does but there is room for some subtle changes to be made.

I do find that users are sometimes treated like petulant children and talked down to by some members of the moderation team, which has put me off from posting as much as I used to.  (A classic example of this is can be found in this thread.) I find it very disrespectful.  I get no pleasure out of being talked down to, and don't like to see fellow forummers being talked to in this way either.  I honestly do appreciate that the moderation team have a tough and often thankless job but there needs to be a minimum level of respect that users should expect.

I do think that respectful, constructive criticism of a moderator's actions should be allowed, as a matter of democracy.  I can already hear the old trotted out response we've become used to;  this is not a democracy, this is a privately owned forum etc but no one is 100% right all the time and there is always room for growth and learning on the job.  

I would also like to see ways of supporting the moderators, which the like button, I mention later, might facilitate.

I find it disrespectful, when someone has made an effort to post and that post is removed without a reason.  Then, when you ask why, you get the 'get to helpdesk' response, which takes days and sometimes weeks.  It not only smacks of an unwillingness to be transparent but also makes users feel they are not valued or wanted.

I appreciate there's a legal angle, and you have to cover yourself, in some instances but to just shut down debate without providing users with a reason just isn't as well tolerated by users anymore.

The same for threads of a sensitive nature, like the local child grooming scandal, to name one, are closed for weeks, or simply disappear.  Of course, racist posts should be removed, and I do appreciate that such threads, because of this, require intensive moderation but when posters have invested lots of time in a thread, it's disheartening and leads people to look to other platforms.  At the same time, it is vital for our community that such crucial, albeit sensitive, issues can be debated here.

I also am weary of the 'get to the helpdesk' response anyone gets who raises a genuine issue with moderation decisions, or posts, or is the least bit critical of the forum, even if it's helpful and valid.  It stifles valuable constructive criticism.

I would like to see the option to browse the classifieds as a whole.  

I would love the option of being able to like or dislike a post, at the touch of a button.

I'd also like to see users ranked for their contributions, and rewarded in some way, maybe given more forum privileges?  Or more goes in giveaways/competitions, etc - HotUKDeals is a great example for this.

We used to have some wonderful characters on here, that many would visit the forum to hear, but sadly, the forum appeared to undergo a sense of humour bypass a few years ago and light-hearted contributions to a thread disappeared and the wonderfully witty and brilliant authors were sadly directed to the I'm bored... section by the moderation team.  The forum has suffered greatly since this happened.  The forum needs to get it's sense of humour back.  If we can't laugh about what's going on, globally and locally, and sometimes go off on a little tangent for diversion, then it makes for very boring and stale reading, and it's not conducive to good mental health.   People need to feel they can read any thread, knowing that someone will add a dust of traditional Northern sarcasm, and make them feel better about the circumstances they find themselves in, now more than ever.

Previously, I asked for a dedicated deaths/memorial section.  I think this would be of value to local people, especially when the price of announcements in local publications is prohibitive.

The forum is a wonderful place, full of wonderful, helpful, charitable people.  You've only got to look at the Cv-19 help section to witness this.  You have a fantastic asset here, and I look forward to seeing the forum thrive under your ownership.

@Lex LuthorThank you for articulating all my thoughts about the forum (with the possible exception of the deaths /memorial section).

I have often had thoughts on certain topics, but because they could be shouted down by certain members/cliques, I have refrained from posting, and now rarely bother, unless my comment is 100% factual and not open to misinterpretation/argument.

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Lex LuthorThank you for articulating all my thoughts about the forum (with the possible exception of the deaths /memorial section).

I have often had thoughts on certain topics, but because they could be shouted down by certain members/cliques, I have refrained from posting, and now rarely bother, unless my comment is 100% factual and not open to misinterpretation/argument.

It's good to know that others have similar thoughts.  Thank you for that.

Yes, it can sometimes feel a bit daunting to post.  I think the rankings might help there because more patience and support would be expected for users that did not post on a regular basis.

Edited by Lex Luthor

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Fully agree with you and Lex.

I wish I had a quid for each time I've started a reply and just deleted it due to the above.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Also the same, pretty much spot on, though i'm not sure about the memorial section either... 😕

RE post 61, 100% agree Lex Luther other than a memorials section.

2 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

It's good to know that others have similar thoughts.  Thank you for that.

Yes, it can sometimes feel a bit daunting to post.  I think the rankings might help there because more patience and support would be expected for users that did not post on a regular basis.

I'm not feeling daunted about posting, just can't be bothered with the childish behaviour.  I've been using the internet since its infancy and the days when all you had were newsgroups. I've also been on many forums  - usually related to my interests, although I also use a couple of general interest/local forums and to be honest I don't think any of them are as one-sided as SF appears to be (in General Discussions or the equivalent at least).