The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

'Under New Management'

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Then those users threads (the ones that simply remove anything they dont agree with) will stop getting replies and then they just wont bother.. it will weed-out most of the useless crap as a result :D

They won't, they'll just turn into circle jerks of people with the same views reinforcing their own bubbles. Once you have enough threads for people with view X (that have banned people with view Y) they only have to post frequently enough to push the threads for people with view Y off the first couple of pages and those with view Y will get bored of the constant effort to bump their threads to the first page. You've then let people with view X drive others away by swamping the forum with their views and eventually even X supporters will get bored and leave too. This happened in a lot of usenet newsgroups even without the ability to ban people you don't like from your thread.

21 minutes ago, altus said:

They won't, they'll just turn into circle jerks of people with the same views reinforcing their own bubbles. Once you have enough threads for people with view X (that have banned people with view Y) they only have to post frequently enough to push the threads for people with view Y off the first couple of pages and those with view Y will get bored of the constant effort to bump their threads to the first page. You've then let people with view X drive others away by swamping the forum with their views and eventually even X supporters will get bored and leave too. This happened in a lot of usenet newsgroups even without the ability to ban people you don't like from your thread.

Then that's why you still have moderators, to step in if such things happen...

Honestly though, if I replied on a thread, and my reply kept getting deleted - i'd just stop following that thread... or if it was one specific user who was always deleting my posts, I just simply wouldn't bother reading their stuff anymore...

It's an idea I have been toying with for a few years now, no forum anywhere (that I know of) has anything even close to it...

It works (mostly) on FaceBook - think about it, you post something, someone replies - if you don't like it you can remove/hide the reply etc, it's just a similar idea...

On 17/10/2020 at 18:40, Elmambo said:

The problem with Sheffield Forum is that it seems  to be dominated by a small clique of opinionated and in some cases rude and agressive people.  These people seem to have amassed a large number of posts and I think try to dominate discussion.  This is the reason I rarely visit now.  Why not limit the number of posts individuals can make or introduce a word count,  maybe a monthly allowance, I'm sure you could work something out to make the forum a more pleasant place.

Its still better than most of the local facebook groups I am on - endless posts from people just trying to troll others, locals making racist comments etc.

On 21/10/2020 at 13:35, Hecate said:

Are we sure Sheffield Forum is still going to be Sheffield Forum?  I'm not.  For all the buzzy hyperbole of the first post, I suspect a 'tech incubator' has about as much interest in a dusty, creaky, old-school internet forum as I have in whatever a tech incubator might be.  Great ready-made community though. 

A company called Bulldozer from a team at Razor?  Get ready for some slash and burn.

I'm pretty sure actually, as I was involved in the choosing of potential owners and we wouldn't have agreed for the sale to go through with anybody who didn't want the spirit of the forum to keep going.

Put it this way, if you had just paid good cash money for a site, why would you trash it? 

We've already started discussing the small incremental changes and developments that are going to start happening around here, and none of them are earth shattering.  In fact, we're apparently going backwards on some things, like the return of the Christmas logo competition and that sort of thing.

4 minutes ago, medusa said:

I'm pretty sure actually, as I was involved in the choosing of potential owners and we wouldn't have agreed for the sale to go through with anybody who didn't want the spirit of the forum to keep going.

Put it this way, if you had just paid good cash money for a site, why would you trash it? 

We've already started discussing the small incremental changes and developments that are going to start happening around here, and none of them are earth shattering.  In fact, we're apparently going backwards on some things, like the return of the Christmas logo competition and that sort of thing.

Excellent news.  I'm genuinely astonished, and pleased,  that you've found a tech company happy to invest in a little bit of the internet and have it retain its pipe and slippers.  This might be the first time I've been pleasantly surprised in this godforsaken year.

I'm so excited, I'm so excited...

The Christmas logo competition is going to revive the forum to what it was in the good old days.

Brilliant mews.

15 hours ago, Hecate said:

Excellent news.  I'm genuinely astonished, and pleased,  that you've found a tech company happy to invest in a little bit of the internet and have it retain its pipe and slippers.  This might be the first time I've been pleasantly surprised in this godforsaken year.

Glad to hear it.  Geoff really was careful with his baby.

The forum WILL be changing, but hopefully all of the changes are going to complement the existing forum rather than change it out of all recognition. 

11 hours ago, Allen said:

I'm so excited, I'm so excited...

The Christmas logo competition is going to revive the forum to what it was in the good old days.

Brilliant mews.

I'm glad you're happy- this was on my list of feelgood things that we really could do with in this most stressful of years.  It didn't feel like Christmas last year without them!

On 05/10/2020 at 16:20, pattricia said:

Yes, I understand what you are saying. Jabberwocky is now on Facebook and he is still funny. However this is a family forum and we cannot post like we used to. I was banned a couple of times for posting unsuitable things, but I do respect the new owners and will abide by their rules.

I just can't imagine you posting anything unsuitable pattricia!

23 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I just can't imagine you posting anything unsuitable pattricia!

We have a section on SF  called  “Im Bored “ in which the Mods created for anyone who wanted to put jokes, limericks or quizzes on the forum. Sometimes we got a bit too cheeky so we’re banned for a few days. However, I now watch what I post and like Snow White Im as pure as the driven slush.! 

Very very very pleased to hear that we have new brooms that hopefully will sweep clean.  Several of my friends stopped posting on here because of the passive aggressive, and not so passive aggressive bullying by a certain clique few who thought they owned the forum.  Particularly those of a certain political persuasion.  You know the type, the ones who need to get a life because theirs has been a disaster, but who claim to know everything on every subject and have to comment on every post, with nothing better to do than sit alone at a computer night after night bullying older users of a different political persuasion to theirs, and stalking all their posts until they stop posting. That is how to lose members.

A balanced forum should be there for all to use, and intelligent folk should agree to disagree.  New moderators should moderate aggressive post stalking.

Welcome!  You've got some boots to fill!  I love the forum and commend Geoff and the moderators for their efforts that have brought the forum to what it is and for providing this awesome platform.

The moderation team do a fantastic job without which the forum wouldn't exist as it does but there is room for some subtle changes to be made.

I do find that users are sometimes treated like petulant children and talked down to by some members of the moderation team, which has put me off from posting as much as I used to.  (A classic example of this is can be found in this thread.) I find it very disrespectful.  I get no pleasure out of being talked down to, and don't like to see fellow forummers being talked to in this way either.  I honestly do appreciate that the moderation team have a tough and often thankless job but there needs to be a minimum level of respect that users should expect.

I do think that respectful, constructive criticism of a moderator's actions should be allowed, as a matter of democracy.  I can already hear the old trotted out response we've become used to;  this is not a democracy, this is a privately owned forum etc but no one is 100% right all the time and there is always room for growth and learning on the job.  

I would also like to see ways of supporting the moderators, which the like button, I mention later, might facilitate.

I find it disrespectful, when someone has made an effort to post and that post is removed without a reason.  Then, when you ask why, you get the 'get to helpdesk' response, which takes days and sometimes weeks.  It not only smacks of an unwillingness to be transparent but also makes users feel they are not valued or wanted.

I appreciate there's a legal angle, and you have to cover yourself, in some instances but to just shut down debate without providing users with a reason just isn't as well tolerated by users anymore.

The same for threads of a sensitive nature, like the local child grooming scandal, to name one, are closed for weeks, or simply disappear.  Of course, racist posts should be removed, and I do appreciate that such threads, because of this, require intensive moderation but when posters have invested lots of time in a thread, it's disheartening and leads people to look to other platforms.  At the same time, it is vital for our community that such crucial, albeit sensitive, issues can be debated here.

I also am weary of the 'get to the helpdesk' response anyone gets who raises a genuine issue with moderation decisions, or posts, or is the least bit critical of the forum, even if it's helpful and valid.  It stifles valuable constructive criticism.

I would like to see the option to browse the classifieds as a whole.  

I would love the option of being able to like or dislike a post, at the touch of a button.

I'd also like to see users ranked for their contributions, and rewarded in some way, maybe given more forum privileges?  Or more goes in giveaways/competitions, etc - HotUKDeals is a great example for this.

We used to have some wonderful characters on here, that many would visit the forum to hear, but sadly, the forum appeared to undergo a sense of humour bypass a few years ago and light-hearted contributions to a thread disappeared and the wonderfully witty and brilliant authors were sadly directed to the I'm bored... section by the moderation team.  The forum has suffered greatly since this happened.  The forum needs to get it's sense of humour back.  If we can't laugh about what's going on, globally and locally, and sometimes go off on a little tangent for diversion, then it makes for very boring and stale reading, and it's not conducive to good mental health.   People need to feel they can read any thread, knowing that someone will add a dust of traditional Northern sarcasm, and make them feel better about the circumstances they find themselves in, now more than ever.

Previously, I asked for a dedicated deaths/memorial section.  I think this would be of value to local people, especially when the price of announcements in local publications is prohibitive.

The forum is a wonderful place, full of wonderful, helpful, charitable people.  You've only got to look at the Cv-19 help section to witness this.  You have a fantastic asset here, and I look forward to seeing the forum thrive under your ownership.

@Lex LuthorThank you for articulating all my thoughts about the forum (with the possible exception of the deaths /memorial section).

I have often had thoughts on certain topics, but because they could be shouted down by certain members/cliques, I have refrained from posting, and now rarely bother, unless my comment is 100% factual and not open to misinterpretation/argument.