We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

'Under New Management'

6 minutes ago, medusa said:

There was a season with a Sheffield Forum FC too, with a strip that was half blue and white stripes and half red and white stripes!

Did not know that Medusa. Very interesting !

The problem with Sheffield Forum is that it seems  to be dominated by a small clique of opinionated and in some cases rude and agressive people.  These people seem to have amassed a large number of posts and I think try to dominate discussion.  This is the reason I rarely visit now.  Why not limit the number of posts individuals can make or introduce a word count,  maybe a monthly allowance, I'm sure you could work something out to make the forum a more pleasant place.

On 18/10/2020 at 04:40, Elmambo said:

The problem with Sheffield Forum is that it seems  to be dominated by a small clique of opinionated and in some cases rude and agressive people.  These people seem to have amassed a large number of posts and I think try to dominate discussion.  This is the reason I rarely visit now.  Why not limit the number of posts individuals can make or introduce a word count,  maybe a monthly allowance, I'm sure you could work something out to make the forum a more pleasant place.

the SF teflon gang, we all know who the leader is don't we ,they  never get banned 

but expert at getting other people banned . we've lost  some brilliant posters over         

the years but because  of that lot ,people just can't be bothered anymore           

SF used to be great little debating forum  for all kinds of subjects, we had  some                                                                                                                      

very  humourous   posters as well interlectual on this forum, 

but by not  doing anything about that little group  they've  actually  let that       

them    ruin what was one of the best forums around ,very sad

Edited by frigate

To my mind, a large part of the SF user experience relates to moderation style.

I suspect there may be a conflict between what's expedient for moderators and admin team (i.e. to make the forum more manageable, less demanding on their time etc), and, the user experience. What's good for one, isn't necessarily good for the other; but for SF to thrive, I would expect a positive user experience is the thing that's going to keep people coming back.

I know historically, comments on moderation are met with a 'help desk that a way' kind of response; but as the OP is the new owner, and asks for feedback on user experience, I'm going out on a limb!...

A few issues concerning moderation, off the top of my head, include:

• Threads being merged in to mega-threads. Sometimes a topic is multi-faceted, and it would be nice to explore a particular facet of a topic, without it getting lost in a mega-thread where it's hard to keep track of.
  • No notification when posts are subject to removal or moderation. When a post is subject to moderation, it would make for a better user experience for the poster to receive feedback to their inbox, what they did wrong etc. Can't this be automated?
  • I feel moderators are sometimes too quick to respond to any disagreement between users, and shut things down, so users don't have the opportunity to explore their differences in a constructive manner.

Please don't take this in any way as 'having a pop'. I'm not at all interested in doing so; the only thing on my mind is what can we do to create a more positive environment here, where people can freely exchange ideas and information, without everything going off the rails, becoming aggressive with personal attacks between users, or debate being stifled by way of overbearing moderation.

2 hours ago, frigate said:

the SF teflon gang, we all know who the leader is don't we ,they  never get banned 

but expert at getting other people banned . we've lost  some brilliant posters over         

SF used to be great little debating forum  for all kinds of subjects, we had  some                                                                                                                      

You're sounding like a conspiracy theorist there. Nobody can go to the mods and say 'can you ban this person'. If some posters are capable of moderating their posts to fit within the forum rules[1] and others aren't capable of doing that then the latter have only themselves to blame for the results.

[1] Or at least close enough to them to only warrant a forum holiday.

One quick and simple solution..

Allow the original poster / thread creator to moderate their own threads...
Allow deletion (but not editing obviously) of replies to a thread, so  the creator can remove posts they feel are inappropriate or don't contribute to the original subject etc..

if they are too erratic and keep deleting a certain type of post, or certain users posts, then that user, or everyone in general, will learn who's threads to avoid, as things are always deleted...    Simply avoid them, and not reply or post on them...

You could then have a 'reduced' moderation teem, that can resolve any conflicts, and general queries.... but I think that would take a LOT of the work away from the moderation team, and allow a little more freedom of expression in the threads..

Obviously there would still BE a moderator team, as users may need to be banned, whole threads removed, certain things dealt with etc, but I really think it would solve a lot of the problems people have surrounding moderation.

Edited by Ghozer

Interesting idea Ghozer. Would the forum software would allow for users to delete posts in threads for which they are the OP though? Interesting idea though, wonder if it's been tried elsewhere?

How moderators spent their time, and what can be done to automate tasks and minimise time requirement for moderation, is a consideration for sure. I wonder if there is a way to optimise the moderation process, and at the same time, improve user experience?

Edited by Waldo

3 hours ago, frigate said:

the SF teflon gang, we all know who the leader is don't we ,they  never get banned but expert at getting other people banned . we've lost  some brilliant posters over the years but because  of that lot ,people just can't be bothered anymore SF used to be great little debating forum  for all kinds of subjects, we had  some very  humourous   posters as well interlectual on this forum, but by not  doing anything about that little group  they've  actually  let that them ruin what was one of the best forums around ,very sad.                                                                                                                       

We look into the reports that we receive. Despite our own feelings etc, if it doesn't break the forum rules, then there isn't a great deal we can do.  If you feel we haven't looked into something there is the Helpdesk.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I suspect there may be a conflict between what's expedient for moderators and admin team (i.e. to make the forum more manageable, less demanding on their time etc), and, the user experience. What's good for one, isn't necessarily good for the other; but for SF to thrive, I would expect a positive user experience is the thing that's going to keep people coming back.

I know historically, comments on moderation are met with a 'help desk that a way' kind of response; but as the OP is the new owner, and asks for feedback on user experience, I'm going out on a limb!...

• Threads being merged in to mega-threads. Sometimes a topic is multi-faceted, and it would be nice to explore a particular facet of a topic, without it getting lost in a mega-thread where it's hard to keep track of.
  • No notification when posts are subject to removal or moderation. When a post is subject to moderation, it would make for a better user experience for the poster to receive feedback to their inbox, what they did wrong etc. Can't this be automated?
  • I feel moderators are sometimes too quick to respond to any disagreement between users, and shut things down, so users don't have the opportunity to explore their differences in a constructive manner.

Please don't take this in any way as 'having a pop'. I'm not at all interested in doing so; the only thing on my mind is what can we do to create a more positive environment here, where people can freely exchange ideas and information, without everything going off the rails, becoming aggressive with personal attacks between users, or debate being stifled by way of overbearing moderation.

And this is how you give feedback, even though it is somewhat negative against the us, mod team.  It has suggestions as to how mods can do better. Regarding threads going into multi threads. I think Medusa covered this recently in a thread. If we have multi threads on a subject they can and do cross over. We have had countless accusations that we have removed a post, when we did nothing of the sort and it was just sitting in another thread on a similar subject.

I've long since wanted something automated to advise users that this post has been removed for x reason. We don't have the time to message users to say what they've done wrong. Although, as you mentioned, they contact the Helpdesk. If a post is removed, you can more or less gurantee it (and usually a post chain after) has broken the forum rules.

We respond to reports, if a user reports something and we usually have a gut intiution how it's going, we stop it there. It isn't going to be everyone's taste and we can't please everyone.

56 minutes ago, altus said:

You're sounding like a conspiracy theorist there. Nobody can go to the mods and say 'can you ban this person'. If some posters are capable of moderating their posts to fit within the forum rules[1] and others aren't capable of doing that then the latter have only themselves to blame for the results. [1] Or at least close enough to them to only warrant a forum holiday.

We have had instances where that has happened. And no it didn't result in the banning of the person. Ironically it went the otherway when we looked further into it.

34 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

One quick and simple solution..

Allow the original poster / thread creator to moderate their own threads...
Allow deletion (but not editing obviously) of replies to a thread, so  the creator can remove posts they feel are inappropriate or don't contribute to the original subject etc..

if they are too erratic and keep deleting a certain type of post, or certain users posts, then that user, or everyone in general, will learn who's threads to avoid, as things are always deleted...    Simply avoid them, and not reply or post on them...

You could then have a 'reduced' moderation teem, that can resolve any conflicts, and general queries.... but I think that would take a LOT of the work away from the moderation team, and allow a little more freedom of expression in the threads..

Obviously there would still BE a moderator team, as users may need to be banned, whole threads removed, certain things dealt with etc, but I really think it would solve a lot of the problems people have surrounding moderation.

Well....good thought on paper. However, some users would simply remove what they don't agree with aka there would be a BIG bias issue with this. With some of the reports we get, it would cause more conflict than it's worth.  It would increase the mod/admin work rather than reduce it. I think users can still edit their own posts? (im sure someone will confirm if that is not the case). Plus If the mod team end up not being able to see the removed post, can you imagine the choas? I can, and it's making me want to have a Gin!

On 17/10/2020 at 18:40, Elmambo said:

But people have a right to

express an opinion, don’t they?

Would you prefer it if everyone agreed with you?

9 hours ago, frigate said:

Says frigate. Member for ten years. Post count 46.

The forum is what you make it.

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

Agree with this.The site is over moderated now.No problem at all with moderated posts that are rude or aggressive but removing posts for minor things like being slightly off thread when someone has taken the time to post is way ott,Have been here 17 years and its nowhere near as widely used as it was but much of that is due to facebook and Twitter.You need to encourage people to post not delete them for petty reasons.

Are we sure Sheffield Forum is still going to be Sheffield Forum?  I'm not.  For all the buzzy hyperbole of the first post, I suspect a 'tech incubator' has about as much interest in a dusty, creaky, old-school internet forum as I have in whatever a tech incubator might be.  Great ready-made community though. 

A company called Bulldozer from a team at Razor?  Get ready for some slash and burn.

19 hours ago, Groose said:

Well....good thought on paper. However, some users would simply remove what they don't agree with aka there would be a BIG bias issue with this. With some of the reports we get, it would cause more conflict than it's worth.  It would increase the mod/admin work rather than reduce it. I think users can still edit their own posts? (im sure someone will confirm if that is not the case). Plus If the mod team end up not being able to see the removed post, can you imagine the choas? I can, and it's making me want to have a Gin!

Then those users threads (the ones that simply remove anything they dont agree with) will stop getting replies and then they just wont bother.. it will weed-out most of the useless crap as a result :D

But I agree with another above, there needs to be some message when a thread or post is deleted, telling you WHY... Especially if a rule was broken, so said user can avoid it in the future...

there used to be an SFBot that messaged you if your post was deleted, but that stopped when they changed software :(