Jump to content

'Under New Management'

Recommended Posts

Hi sfrob, hopefully you get a warm welcome and a worthwhile investment.

 

A feature I miss which was once implemented on the forum was the live chat feature, basically a chat room that allowed instant chat, it was good and popular once but the feature was removed (I think the old owners were concerned instant chat couldn't be moderated and ceased the chatroom citing that reason). The forum generally is less busy nowadays but hopefully reintroducing the live chat will see a steady increase in participants.

 

Can I ask what your old/regular username is?  Give an insight into the new owners post history.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with some of the previous posters: if there was something going off in Sheffield, the forum used to be the place to come to find out what it was, and it was always more up to date than the Star. But now things happen and never even get a mention on here until days later, if at all. Now if I want Sheffield news that's up to date, I look at Sheffield Online on Facebook. The forum needs to try to get back that sense of being the go-to place for local stuff. And yes, the classifieds do need revitalising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, metalman said:

I agree with some of the previous posters: if there was something going off in Sheffield, the forum used to be the place to come to find out what it was, and it was always more up to date than the Star. But now things happen and never even get a mention on here until days later, if at all. Now if I want Sheffield news that's up to date, I look at Sheffield Online on Facebook. The forum needs to try to get back that sense of being the go-to place for local stuff. And yes, the classifieds do need revitalising.

That’s exactly what I do for info now but I don’t think it’s that things that happen in this city don’t get mentioned they get removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2020 at 14:53, soopah said:

Even this forum isn't as popular as it once was.  Still the same amount of argumentative trolls though.

It feels like there's only about two dozen regulars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2020 at 11:07, *Wallace* said:

Welcome and good luck Rob,will the main focus of the forum be business or Sheffield news ? I’ve been concerned about how little the stabbing shootings and robberies in this friendly little city don’t get an airing on here.

Hello! I'd hope we can cater for all everything Sheffield that falls within the forum's rules!

 

On 28/09/2020 at 12:04, Groose said:

One thing Rob, and I think I speak on behalf of several users. The Classifieds isn't all that user friendly and could do with better catagories. I've linked the active thread on people's 'voices' on it:

 

 

On 29/09/2020 at 09:47, wmoham001 said:

Classifieds used to be pretty good. Now it is simply unusable.  

 

Hey Groose & wmoham001, thanks for the link. It seems like the classifieds are an area we should look to rejuvenate. I'm going to collect some more information then we can look at prioritising making change in that area.

 

On 29/09/2020 at 17:48, Jeffrey Shaw said:

ROB

Please tell us:

a. what difference users will initially find under new management;

b. what you're thinking of changing; and

c. how you envisage making the changes without annoying users- you already know that many (most?) Sheffielders tend not to like their routines being disturbed by anything new!

Hi Jeffrey, 

A. I hope you'll find we're open to feedback and making positive gradual change.
B. We're currently assessing Classifieds and creating a unified Sheffield Calendar - two things that shouldn't be too invasive to the current forum experience. I'm also wondering if it's worth looking at an automatic save as draft feature if one doesn't already exist as I've lost this reply twice now by closing the tab! 

C. We've got the best interests of the community at heart and are taking on this challenge as a long-term project, with gradual changes. The ones we are planning are supplementary to rather than in place of the existing forum experience. 
 

On 01/10/2020 at 03:42, Anna B said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In other words, it's not change we fear, but change for no good reason. I think SF is  pretty good as it is.

Thanks Anna! I'm glad you enjoy the forum :) - we won't be making changes without a plan!

 

On 01/10/2020 at 12:40, alchresearch said:

The biggest challenge to overcome is to address the way so many are moving to social media to post their opinions.

 

SF always has been the place to discuss and debate without your post being lost in a sea of others.   Social media makes discussions far more "throwaway" nowadays.

 

Take the thread about the 39 storey building.  I'm sure that will remain active for some time to come on here as people drop in and post.  But the same subject on a Sheffield Facebook group has been and gone.  A case of if you didn't see it at the time, you've missed it.

 

Sadly, this isn't just a problem on this forum, its happening on so many others.

 

I remember a time when all of page 1 of Sheffield News & Discussions on here were active topics all being discussed with posts minutes or hours old.

 

Now you look at page 1 and some of the topics haven't been touched in weeks. 

 

That's a really interesting insight about how social media moves really fast and you can miss some interesting topics if you blink. Facebook certainly is a place where lots more people are communicating than in 2007, but I really think there's something special about a forum like this. I think there's enough distinction within the differing styles of communication on here and FB to be confident we can continue to have our corner of the internet and it be really useful for people. Something we can do better is marketing the forum on social networks, and other media sources to increase the conversation here.

 

On 01/10/2020 at 13:31, gamezone07 said:

its the classifieds for me, they were the best anywhere, bought loads, and you know seller will be reliable

 

I suspect business will be more the focus

 

atm, no ads on computers or mobile phones, there used to be tens a week

 

 

Hello gamezone07! We're not planning on business being a primary focus. I'm quite excited about the prospect of a 'good news' forum - really promoting the best of Sheffield. Is that something you'd like to see?

 

 

On 01/10/2020 at 14:53, soopah said:

The problem is that on the whole, forums are dead.  Faceache and the like have killed them.

None of the ones I used to use are busy anymore, and Photobucket deciding to change it's hosting policies hasn't helped either.

A lot of people end up having to re-host or not bother. Lots of useful information lost.

Even this forum isn't as popular as it once was.  Still the same amount of argumentative trolls though.

Hey soopah, obviously not to the scale of Facebook but this forum is still quite active. There's at least 54 individual people viewing the website now according to Google Analytics, and 400+ according to the Online Users tab on the main page (must use different methods of defining what an active user is!)

I'm confident we can improve that no end too, we need to invest in a few areas such as useful features (I love the Sheffield Calendar idea that has been proposed!), and inbound social media marketing of interesting topics/posts via social media (there's <1% of traffic arriving from socials at the moment because they are essentially dormant) and we'll get the conversations flowing.

 

On 02/10/2020 at 10:33, pattricia said:

I think SF is perfect as it is.

Hi pattricia, hopefully you'll be in for a nice surprise! :)

 

On 04/10/2020 at 00:12, muddywolf said:

Hi sfrob, hopefully you get a warm welcome and a worthwhile investment.

 

A feature I miss which was once implemented on the forum was the live chat feature, basically a chat room that allowed instant chat, it was good and popular once but the feature was removed (I think the old owners were concerned instant chat couldn't be moderated and ceased the chatroom citing that reason). The forum generally is less busy nowadays but hopefully reintroducing the live chat will see a steady increase in participants.

 

Can I ask what your old/regular username is?  Give an insight into the new owners post history.

 

 

Hi muddywolf, thanks - we're in it for the long haul and see it as a great opportunity to 'give back' and help improve a Sheffield institution! 

I've not been able to track down my old account - the last time I actively contributed was in the 2000s. Frequently visited to view posts on topics via Google since.
 

16 hours ago, metalman said:

I agree with some of the previous posters: if there was something going off in Sheffield, the forum used to be the place to come to find out what it was, and it was always more up to date than the Star. But now things happen and never even get a mention on here until days later, if at all. Now if I want Sheffield news that's up to date, I look at Sheffield Online on Facebook. The forum needs to try to get back that sense of being the go-to place for local stuff. And yes, the classifieds do need revitalising.

Thanks metalman! A common theme is emerging here :)

 

48 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

It feels like there's only about two dozen regulars.

Plan is definitely to increase that so everyone benefits from richer conversations, news, ideas, etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2020 at 10:33, pattricia said:

I think SF is perfect as it is.

I’m surprised at that Patricia you’ve been here a long time and must remember it’s heyday when Jabberwocky etc made it a fun and interesting place to view it’s not a patch on that anymore and the community spirit here seems to be long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I’m surprised at that Patricia you’ve been here a long time and must remember it’s heyday when Jabberwocky etc made it a fun and interesting place to view it’s not a patch on that anymore and the community spirit here seems to be long gone.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. Jabberwocky is now on Facebook and he is still funny. However this is a family forum and we cannot post like we used to. I was banned a couple of times for posting unsuitable things, but I do respect the new owners and will abide by their rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pattricia said:

Yes, I understand what you are saying. Jabberwocky is now on Facebook and he is still funny. However this is a family forum and we cannot post like we used to. I was banned a couple of times for posting unsuitable things, but I do respect the new owners and will abide by their rules.

I’m more concerned about facts that we can’t post on here things that happen in Page Hall the shootings and stabbing that are in the Star and on Sheffield Online that disappear from here things we all should be aware of if it’s a family forum people need to know what’s happening in this city.

Edited by *Wallace*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I’m more concerned about facts that we can’t post on here things that happen in Page Hall the shootings and stabbing that are in the Star and on Sheffield Online that disappear from here things we all should be aware of if it’s a family forum people need to know what’s happening in certain areas of the city.

If things are factual and not restricted by legal proceedings etc then there’s no problem posting them as long as it’s done in the right way.

Not offensive, not tarring whole societies with the same brush, not encouraging vigilantism, not steering other unrelated threads off topic etc etc.

Unfortunately we know certain subjects are really emotive, and although we try to allow the discussions they just end up going down routes that we just can’t allow.

Edited by nikki-red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2020 at 14:53, soopah said:

The problem is that on the whole, forums are dead.  Faceache and the like have killed them.

 

Funny thing is...people are now leaving facebook, nows the time to woo them back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as mentioned already, the classifieds need a proper sort out. 

 

i hated it when they was revamped and was split into sections. it was better when everything was all on one page instead of selecting what you want to look at. because when browsing the classifieds, i don't know what i want to look at and would browse down the list to see what would tickle my fancy.

 

so if the classifieds are going to be sorted, please merge all the adds in one page instead of splitting into categories on a drop down menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.