The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

'Under New Management'

Hello everyone, thank you for your patience as we finalise the administrative side of the forum sale.

We are super excited about being the custodians of this amazing platform and community and are really looking forward to making it the premier online destination for everything Sheffield! 

Our reason for taking on the forum? We have a clear cause to ensure that Sheffield realises it’s true potential, is proud of the humble brilliant people that are here and that we create a future right here for our children and our children’s children. 

We want people to come and visit and study here and then be able to stay here because of the opportunities that the city has to offer.

We want to fly the flag for the friendly, green “little” city in the north. Sheffield is a beacon of humble brilliance of the North. Friendly folk, who have the grit to climb the hills and achieve great things but don’t always shout about it and we want to shout with you.

We want to grow the online community to help us realise this vision. If we can engage with more people, help more people and highlight the great people here in the community everyone can benefit.

Will things be changing? Only for the better and we want to hear from you on what we can do to make it happen! We're open to all ideas, and will publish our medium and long-term plans once we've collected feedback from the community. 

So who are we then? We're a company called Bulldozer, a tech incubator founded by the team at Razor, a leading tech business forged right here in Sheffield. Razor has a clear cause to give digital the same reputation as Steel has in Sheffield and to ensure we all have a future right here in our city. 

We're excited about the road ahead, and hope you are too. Please do get in touch directly or via this thread with your feedback and ideas for how we can help improve the member experience - we'd love to hear from you.

All the best,

Rob

Welcome and good luck Rob,will the main focus of the forum be business or Sheffield news ? I’ve been concerned about how little the stabbing shootings and robberies in this friendly little city don’t get an airing on here.

One thing Rob, and I think I speak on behalf of several users. The Classifieds isn't all that user friendly and could do with better catagories. I've linked the active thread on people's 'voices' on it:

21 hours ago, Groose said:

One thing Rob, and I think I speak on behalf of several users. The Classifieds isn't all that user friendly and could do with better catagories. I've linked the active thread on people's 'voices' on it:

Classifieds used to be pretty good. Now it is simply unusable.  

ROB

Please tell us:

a. what difference users will initially find under new management;

b. what you're thinking of changing; and

c. how you envisage making the changes without annoying users- you already know that many (most?) Sheffielders tend not to like their routines being disturbed by anything new!

15 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

ROB

Please tell us:

a. what difference users will initially find under new management;

b. what you're thinking of changing; and

c. how you envisage making the changes without annoying users- you already know that many (most?) Sheffielders tend not to like their routines being disturbed by anything new!

We fear change.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In other words, it's not change we fear, but change for no good reason. I think SF is  pretty good as it is.

The biggest challenge to overcome is to address the way so many are moving to social media to post their opinions.

SF always has been the place to discuss and debate without your post being lost in a sea of others.   Social media makes discussions far more "throwaway" nowadays.

Take the thread about the 39 storey building.  I'm sure that will remain active for some time to come on here as people drop in and post.  But the same subject on a Sheffield Facebook group has been and gone.  A case of if you didn't see it at the time, you've missed it.

Sadly, this isn't just a problem on this forum, its happening on so many others.

I remember a time when all of page 1 of Sheffield News & Discussions on here were active topics all being discussed with posts minutes or hours old.

Now you look at page 1 and some of the topics haven't been touched in weeks. 

Posted (edited)

its the classifieds for me, they were the best anywhere, bought loads, and you know seller will be reliable

I suspect business will be more the focus

atm, no ads on computers or mobile phones, there used to be tens a week

Edited by gamezone07

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

The biggest challenge to overcome is to address the way so many are moving to social media to post their opinions.

SF always has been the place to discuss and debate without your post being lost in a sea of others.   Social media makes discussions far more "throwaway" nowadays.

Take the thread about the 39 storey building.  I'm sure that will remain active for some time to come on here as people drop in and post.  But the same subject on a Sheffield Facebook group has been and gone.  A case of if you didn't see it at the time, you've missed it.

Sadly, this isn't just a problem on this forum, its happening on so many others.

I remember a time when all of page 1 of Sheffield News & Discussions on here were active topics all being discussed with posts minutes or hours old.

Now you look at page 1 and some of the topics haven't been touched in weeks. 

The problem is that on the whole, forums are dead.  Faceache and the like have killed them.

None of the ones I used to use are busy anymore, and Photobucket deciding to change it's hosting policies hasn't helped either.

A lot of people end up having to re-host or not bother. Lots of useful information lost.

Even this forum isn't as popular as it once was.  Still the same amount of argumentative trolls though.

I would also like to see 'wanted  included in respective categories, at least tech ones, computers, mobile, etc, i suspect most tech sellers don't look in wanted, its a bit of a dustbin option tbh, in other words, allow,wanted ads on the for sale category

I think SF is perfect as it is.