Old Indian Restaurant On London Road

2 hours ago, Yorkyhells said:

I lived just below the Pheasant Inn 1942-1961 on the spare land was a cobblers shop named Coombes they had several shops in Sheffield.

Hello Yorky.

Youv'e set us another task.

I was still in Scotland in 61 but worked just down from there in the mid part of the1960's and can't remember anything on that land at all.

I'm sure we have solved the mystery over the Restaurant which ties in with the fire in the building popposite the Pheasant in the 1980's.

If there was a cobblers on the spare land the property must have been built sometime after the 1890's when the property that had been next to the Pheasant was pulled down.

You say you lived 'just below' the Pheasant everything below the Pheasant and the gap are shop premises as far as I know.

Keep safe.

Hillsbrou.

Help us out - I've only a 1972 Kellys and again can't find anything on the internet for Coombes on London Rd

anything earlier circa  42 - 61 with Coombes Cobblers on that site? 

Up date 1972 Kelly's

Branches of Coombes on,

Pinstone St,

Ecclesall Rd,

Firth Park Rd,

Main St,

Sharrowvale Rd

and Middlewood Rd.

No mention of London Rd.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Some of the shops on London Rd. 1957 No.56 Denniffs Butcher 64 Bowers Cafe 66 Garfitts Factory 68-72 Curtis Radios

Court 2 76 Edley Watch repairer 78 Dickenson Cafe 80 Savage Butcher 82 Butcher Florist 84 Edley Ladie's Outfitters 

86 Goodwin Shopkeeper 88 Hibbert Pork Butcher Club Garden Walk 90 Coombes Boot Repairer 92-94 G Swallow Draper

96-98 Pheasant Inn 100-104 Romney Dry Cleaner. The land between Denniff's Butcher and Bower's Cafe was a cleared bomb

site and still is i lived at Court 2.

3 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

I have sent Hillsbro a message

requesting his assistance

I'm afraid I can't help - the last Kelly's to be published was the 1974 edition (compiled in mid-1973) and it shows nothing between Hibbert's pork butchers at No. 88 and the Pheasant at 96/98. So it seems that Nos. 90-94 (shown in directories up to the mid-1960s) were demolished, and if a restaurant was later there, the building presumably had a short life.

A1.jpg

14 hours ago, Yorkyhells said:

Some of the shops on London Rd. 1957 No.56 Denniffs Butcher 64 Bowers Cafe 66 Garfitts Factory 68-72 Curtis Radios

Court 2 76 Edley Watch repairer 78 Dickenson Cafe 80 Savage Butcher 82 Butcher Florist 84 Edley Ladie's Outfitters 

86 Goodwin Shopkeeper 88 Hibbert Pork Butcher Club Garden Walk 90 Coombes Boot Repairer 92-94 G Swallow Draper

96-98 Pheasant Inn 100-104 Romney Dry Cleaner. The land between Denniff's Butcher and Bower's Cafe was a cleared bomb

10 hours ago, hillsbro said:

I'm afraid I can't help - the last Kelly's to be published was the 1974 edition (compiled in mid-1973) and it shows nothing between Hibbert's pork butchers at No. 88 and the Pheasant at 96/98. So it seems that Nos. 90-94 (shown in directories up to the mid-1960s) were demolished, and if a restaurant was later there, the building presumably had a short life.

A1.jpg

Thank you both.

I'm confident the 'restaurant' and subsequent fire in 1985 were across the road from the Pheasant rather than next to it.

The question of the spare piece of land becomes more interesting every day.

What ever was there in 1880 wasn't there in 1890 so with the later entries and Yorky's memory's we know Coombes were there in 1942 - to at least 1961 & is confirmed by Hilsbro's 1957 Kelly's so we do know the land had been built on. By the 1970's, the place is spare land yet again and with no proof that we can find it was built on after that.

The entries from 1957 and subsequent entries are all interesting in that for a smallish piece of land there appears to be two business's on it taking up three plots.

No 90 Coombes & 92-94 the drapery G Swallow before we get to the Pheasant at 96 - 98.

Yorky as far as I knew none of the upstairs of the shops in that stretch were occupied not late on in 1960's anyway but had forgot about 'court 2 until you mentioned it.

Was the entrance next to Edleys on the main Rd or around the back of Hibberts? and what type of housing was it?

Yet again thank you both.

All good stuff and just the right thing for Sheffield Forum.  

Keep safe. 

Hi R R

The entrance to our court yard was next to Edley's it contained ten houses back to back and only six toilets plus three toilets for the shops.

Keep safe.

1 hour ago, Yorkyhells said:

Hi R R

The entrance to our court yard was next to Edley's it contained ten houses back to back and only six toilets plus three toilets for the shops.

Keep safe.

Through the mist's of time I can just visualise the entrance which by looking at recent pictures must have been incorporated into the shop at some point.

I always thought the flat area behind that block of shops looked strange as if there had been houses there.

I worked at the Disk Jocky cafe many years ago and while the kitchen was upstairs there was some sort of (heavy) industry on the floor above.

There is no mention of who occupied any of the upstairs part of the building that included the cafe, factory archway and car spares.

Happy daze, out side toilets and tin baths.

Thanks for the additional information Yorky.

Keep safe.

16 hours ago, Yorkyhells said:

HI Yorky

do you know why they where demolished

in such a relative short time?

Hello Mick the area where the houses were or the back of where they were is the area where the 'Turtle' was.

I've a photo of the 'Turtle some where but I would have to delve into the attic for it. (scarey) 

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Mick the area where the houses were or the back of where they were is the area where the 'Turtle' was.

I've a photo of the 'Turtle some where but I would have to delve into the attic for it. (scarey) 

yes I can see it in my minds eye now.

I cant believe there was room for 3 retail units No 90, 92, 94 on that spare land at the side of the pheasant

Hi Mick

They began demolishing the houses round about 1963 we were rehoused November 1961.

Keep safe

15 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

...I cant believe there was room for 3 retail units No 90, 92, 94 on that spare land at the side of the pheasant.

This is certainly how it looks on this 1953 map - there are two properties (presumably Nos. 90 and 92/94) between the Pheasant (shown as a public house 'PH' on the map) and Club Garden Walk.

01.jpg