Old Indian Restaurant On London Road

I can remember an Indian restaurant which was were the gap is below Barry's bar (Old Pheasant pub) think there was a fire and got knocked down hence the gap, but cannot remember the name anyone ?

1 hour ago, Clydebank said:

I can remember an Indian restaurant which was were the gap is below Barry's bar (Old Pheasant pub) think there was a fire and got knocked down hence the gap, but cannot remember the name anyone ?

WOW Clydebank you nearly got me on this one and I wrote the following before finding something in the link below. 

and still stand by it.

I Iived and worked in the area in the 60's through to the late 80's & our lass lived there from birth and even

she can't remember what was next to the Pheasant apart from the lane that lead to the 'U boat' to the left or the 'Turtle' to the right 

If you look through the link below someone mentions the 'Paradise' bottom of London Rd & that it had burnt down in 1985.

Rather strange both of us not remembering either the Restaurant or it being burnt down, as a  fire on London Rd would have

been big news to us back then.

It couldn't have been that good of a restaurant or as good as 'the Star of Asia' (old 'Horridge & Wildgoose' motorcycle shop)

further up which was always our favourit  Indian restaurant after a good gargle in the many Pubs on London Rd. 

Best Goat Vindaloo anywhere.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/328-sheffield39s-first-indian-restaurant/

Rocker.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

eyup R.R was it  the 'Horridge & Wildgoose' motorcycle shop

that became Charlie Freemans opposite the library ?

1 hour ago, MICK BADGER said:

eyup R.R was it  the 'Horridge & Wildgoose' motorcycle shop

that became Charlie Freemans opposite the library ?

Hello Mick

Yes opposite the Library and from an old advert I've seen Charle freemans was on London Rd but it doesn't give an address.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16213-motor-cycle-shops-in-the-past-in-sheffield-and-near/

We didn't come down from Scotland till the mid 60's and apart from knowing the corner building had been a BSA / Triumph dealer 

from the Horridge & Wildgoose sign writing on the corner wall that was still there probably up to 'the Star of Asia' being opened (early 80's?)

I never knew it as a motorcycle shop.  In 72 the shop was an insurance brokers or empty or it never looked very inviting.

We spent many hours in the , bring your own booze 'Star of Asia' and suffered many a time with their most excellent currys.

Happy Daze.

Got to Run - LOL

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

37 minutes ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

Had to google Barry's Bar as I no longer live in the area. There was an Indian Restaurant there called the Maharaja. I know this because we used to fall out of Tiffany's and go eat in there. At the time I used to eat the chicken soup as I was afraid of trying anything.😀

Eventually I got into the food and was a regular at the Curry Centre which was on the opposite side of the road but further away from town.

This would be around 1975 ish, hope that helps.

Hello Kevin.

I've had to have a re think on the info there was a fire in 1985 because in my 1972 Kellys there is nothing on the piece of land 

and can remember all the shops up that stretch of road well.

If you went to the restaurant next to the Pheasent (which i'm not doubting) from Tiffanys it would have to have been either earlier.

or was the restaurant built after 72? on the spare land? if it was none of it rings a bell to either me or the wife.

Confused - I am.

@Clydebank Was it The Paradise? Bottom of London Road, Burnt down around 1985.

Edited by nikki-red

2 hours ago, nikki-red said:

@Clydebank Was it The Paradise? Bottom of London Road, Burnt down around 1985.

I said that Niki but still can't remember it.

Have to call Hillsbro in for this one.

23 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

. . . Have to call Hillsbro in for this one.

I'm afraid Hillsbro can't help! 🙁

The last Kelly's directory was published in 1973, before there was an Indian restaurant in that area.

Edited by hillsbro

8 hours ago, hillsbro said:

I'm afraid Hillsbro can't help! 🙁

The last Kelly's directory was published in 1973, before there was an Indian restaurant in that area.

thanks Hillsbrough.

I've only got a 1972 Kellys and all my other research has drawn a blank apart from 'the Paradise being burnt down in 85 & 

the Maharaja being mentioned on here.

If there is still an empty plot in 73 it would have had to been a new building that was build on the site but could have only had a short life span.

We lived and worked in that area untill 1989 and can not remember anything being built there or having such a major fire but it does seem strange someone mentioning the name Paradise and a fire in 1985.

None of the photo's of London Rd on't internet show a building on that site.

Its strange that I cant remember another Indian in that area other than the Star of Asia every thing else were Chinese and I do like a Indian Curry.

Thanks for trying.

Rocker.

Im the same as r.r above

I lived in the area from 1960 and I cant recall any building on that plot

On 27/09/2020 at 13:27, Rockers rule said:

WOW Clydebank you nearly got me on this one and I wrote the following before finding something in the link below. 

and still stand by it.

I Iived and worked in the area in the 60's through to the late 80's & our lass lived there from birth and even

she can't remember what was next to the Pheasant apart from the lane that lead to the 'U boat' to the left or the 'Turtle' to the right 

If you look through the link below someone mentions the 'Paradise' bottom of London Rd & that it had burnt down in 1985.

Rather strange both of us not remembering either the Restaurant or it being burnt down, as a  fire on London Rd would have

been big news to us back then.

It couldn't have been that good of a restaurant or as good as 'the Star of Asia' (old 'Horridge & Wildgoose' motorcycle shop)

further up which was always our favourit  Indian restaurant after a good gargle in the many Pubs on London Rd. 

Best Goat Vindaloo anywhere.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/328-sheffield39s-first-indian-restaurant/

Rocker.

Thanks everyone it definitely was the Paradise 👍

2 hours ago, Clydebank said:

Thanks everyone it definitely was the Paradise 👍

I'm not saying your wrong I just can't remember it at all.

If it wasn't there in 73 it must have been built after that.

so we are talking 74/75 pos a year to build? and less than a 10 year life span. 

What did the place look like? 2 storey - flat single storey?