Return A World War 1 Medal

1 hour ago, trevjan said:

Hi to every one and sadbrewer who have helped me to try to return the medal to a member of the Burcroft family the medal has crossed swords and 1914-15 date on it and I look forward to  finding how.

Hi trevjan...Ive just heard back from the young lady and she confirmed that the step side of the family had three medals but not the Star....she has some great information about Tommy, I'll send her the link to this thread and hopefully she'll be on-board soon.

Great gesture by the way!!

Hello all

I'm on board!!

I'm using the name kay.cee. I am also on findagrave under the same name. The 1915 star is the only  medal unaccounted for so I'm glad it's in safe hands. Lovely of you to take such an interest and great care in trying to find family. I'm not sure how to use this site as yet so bear with me if there's a delay in my responding to any questions you may have for me

On 26/09/2020 at 10:07, sadbrewer said:

Screenshot-20200925-234831.jpg

Screenshot-20200925-235135.jpg

Screenshot-20200925-233547.jpg

Thomas is the lad on the left of the photo.

Screenshot-20200926-104433.jpg

Thomas Burtoff was married to Cynthia Baker who was my husband's grandma (Cynthia) first husband. I have inherited some of his war medals including the MM one. I know there are some missing, regards Diane 

On 25/09/2020 at 17:30, sadbrewer said:

I'll see if I can trace anyone....he would have been issued three medals, possibly four....he should have had the British War Medal, The Victory Medal, his Military Medal and possibly a 1915 Star, but I'll have to check the records....I'm just wondering which one you've got....could you describe the medal...does it still have the ribbon.

Edit...fortunately his service record has survived ( over 60% were lost in a fire in WW2) it comes from "the burnt records"...fire and water damaged but some of it is readable.

Thomas James Burtoft enlisted in 1912, his civilian occupation was a metal moulder at Newton Chambers.

He had a brother and a four sisters, so a good chance that there are descendants. 

He married Cynthia Burgin in late 1913, and the couple lived at

1 Jeffcock Place, Mortomley....having a son George Donald in 1915, It looks as though George may have died in  1916...poor Cynthia losing her husband and baby within a eighteen months  of each other. She married a chap called Baker in Barnsley in 1921, but as yet I can find no children.

On 26/09/2020 at 10:07, sadbrewer said:

Screenshot-20200925-234831.jpg

Screenshot-20200925-235135.jpg

Screenshot-20200925-233547.jpg

Thomas is the lad on the left of the photo.

Screenshot-20200926-104433.jpg

Thomas Burtoff was married to Cynthia Burgin who was my husband's grandma (Cynthia) first husband. I have inherited some of his war medals including the MM one. I know there are some missing, regards Diane

I have Tommy's service record, photos of him and Cynthia with his son, his MM and two other medals and death memorial plaque. Can anyone tell me how to upload photos, regards Diane

The group soldier photos shows Tommy on the left with his cousin and Cynthia's brother. They all joined up together.

Edited by Diane Henley

On 24/09/2020 at 20:34, retep said:

Thomas Burtoft Lance Corporal second rank Sergeant 240114 died 1917 son of Donald and Anne, Charlton Brooke

or

Possibly Thomas Burtoft  Broad Street Hoyland Nether, near the war memorial.

Thomas burtoff 240114 was my husbands grandma's first husband (Cynthia Burgin). He inherited Tommy's medals including MM but was told there was one missing. How do I upload photos please

21 minutes ago, Diane Henley said:

Thomas Burtoff was married to Cynthia Baker who was my husband's grandma (Cynthia) first husband. I have inherited some of his war medals including the MM one. I know there are some missing, regards Diane 

Thomas Burtoff was married to Cynthia Burgin who was my husband's grandma (Cynthia) first husband. I have inherited some of his war medals including the MM one. I know there are some missing, regards Diane

I have Tommy's service record, photos of him and Cynthia with his son, his MM and two other medals and death memorial plaque. Can anyone tell me how to upload photos, regards Diane

The group soldier photos shows Tommy on the left with his cousin and Cynthia's brother. They all joined up together.

After Tommy died. Cynthia married Cyril Baker and they lived at The Haven, Kitroyd Jump. They went on to have 3 children (Gilbert, Roland and Lilian) my hubby is descendent from Lilian. The medals,  death penny and letters written by Tommy was found on Cynthia's death in 1985 and then to my husband. The original letter was sent to the IWM we have a copy 

I would love to hear if his lost medal is still available

On 25/09/2020 at 14:53, sadbrewer said:

His regimental number is around the edge of the medal, ..can you give us that as a start plz.

Edit...if it is Sgt Burtoft 240114 that retep highlighted above, he was awarded The Military Medal and was gassed soon after.

He was invalided home but died with his wife and mother at his bedside. He was 25 years old.

I have a photo of him....but no idea of how to post it on here.

I inherited Tommy's medals except one. I have his MM, victory medal and 1 other. Tommy was gased and died of his injury at Le Treport hospital France and is buried in commonwealth grave just outside the town. I have grave plot number and location

On 26/09/2020 at 11:40, sadbrewer said:

Thanks for that....I am now in touch with the lady who posted that information, she is a Burtoft descendant and seems the ideal candidate to be the custodian of Tommy's medal, so kindly offered by Trevjan.

She tells me Tommy's widow married three times after his death and his medals and memorabilia were lost to the Burtoft family, to get one back is a godsend.

I'm just waiting for a reply, she has more information that we will find interesting...I'll post it asap.

How do I upload photos. My husband is descendent from Cynthia (Tommy's wife and my husband grandma). He inherited 3 of Tommy's medal including his MM and death penny, regards Diane

On 26/09/2020 at 18:21, Kay.cee said:

Hello all

I'm on board!!

I'm using the name kay.cee. I am also on findagrave under the same name. The 1915 star is the only  medal unaccounted for so I'm glad it's in safe hands. Lovely of you to take such an interest and great care in trying to find family. I'm not sure how to use this site as yet so bear with me if there's a delay in my responding to any questions you may have for me

Hi. To share information. Tommy's wife Cynthia was my husband's grandma and inherited 3 of his medals including MM and death penny. We had an original pencil letter from the front but thought it was best to send to IWM for preservation. How do I upload photos to show you his medals, regards diane

Not sure if this is relevant in this case but I have heard in some cases the medals were distributed between the recipients family after their death.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Not sure if this is relevant in this case but I have heard in some cases the medals were distributed between the recipients family after their death.

I think this may have happened with Tommy's medal . I would love to get In intouch with other family members and share information 

On 26/09/2020 at 18:21, Kay.cee said:

Hello all

I'm on board!!

Hi. I think we may have communicated together before and you shared loads of information about Tommy. My husband has now inherited some Tommy's war medals including his MM and death penny. How do I upload photos

On 26/09/2020 at 17:18, sadbrewer said:

Hi trevjan...Ive just heard back from the young lady and she confirmed that the step side of the family had three medals but not the Star....she has some great information about Tommy, I'll send her the link to this thread and hopefully she'll be on-board soon.

Great gesture by the way!!

Hi I'm a member of this step side of the family. My husband is descendent of Cynthia, Tommy's wife. Hubby inherited 3 of Tommy's medal including his MM and death penny. Would post photos if I knew how to, regards Diane

On 26/09/2020 at 11:05, smary said:

You may find this interesting - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43258948/thomas-james-burtoft

Strange if he died back home he seems to be  buried in France.  

Tommy died at Le Treport army hospital in France and is buried in the near by commonwealth cemetery (Mt Huon). Hi wife (Cynthia's, my husband grandma) and his mother travelled to France to see him on his death bed.