Return A World War 1 Medal

I have a world war 1 medal issued to L C T Burtoft   who served in the York and Lanks he came from Chapletown Yorkshire  and would like to return it to his family

5 hours ago, trevjan said:

I have a world war 1 medal issued to L C T Burtoft   who served in the York and Lanks he came from Chapletown Yorkshire  and would like to return it to his family

Thomas Burtoft Lance Corporal second rank Sergeant 240114 died 1917 son of Donald and Anne, Charlton Brooke

or

Possibly Thomas Burtoft  Broad Street Hoyland Nether, near the war memorial.

Edited by retep

22 hours ago, trevjan said:

His regimental number is around the edge of the medal, ..can you give us that as a start plz.

Edit...if it is Sgt Burtoft 240114 that retep highlighted above, he was awarded The Military Medal and was gassed soon after.

He was invalided home but died with his wife and mother at his bedside. He was 25 years old.

I have a photo of him....but no idea of how to post it on here.

Edited by sadbrewer

Hi.ive just seen this.i lost a northern Ireland medal in the 1990's.any ideas on trying to find it would be much appreciated. 

Hi sadbrewer thanks for your reply and yes his regimental no is the one you have quoted and wold love to find a descendent to who I could return it to

1 hour ago, trevjan said:

Hi sadbrewer thanks for your reply and yes his regimental no is the one you have quoted and wold love to find a descendent to who I could return it to

I'll see if I can trace anyone....he would have been issued three medals, possibly four....he should have had the British War Medal, The Victory Medal, his Military Medal and possibly a 1915 Star, but I'll have to check the records....I'm just wondering which one you've got....could you describe the medal...does it still have the ribbon.

Edit...fortunately his service record has survived ( over 60% were lost in a fire in WW2) it comes from "the burnt records"...fire and water damaged but some of it is readable.

Thomas James Burtoft enlisted in 1912, his civilian occupation was a metal moulder at Newton Chambers.

He had a brother and a four sisters, so a good chance that there are descendants. 

He married Cynthia Burgin in late 1913, and the couple lived at

1 Jeffcock Place, Mortomley....having a son George Donald in 1915, It looks as though George may have died in  1916...poor Cynthia losing her husband and baby within a eighteen months  of each other. She married a chap called Baker in Barnsley in 1921, but as yet I can find no children.

Edited by sadbrewer

1 hour ago, trevjan said:

The records are badly damaged but I think I can have a go at finding descendants....he should definitely have the 1915 Star amongst his medals.

PS how did it come to you?

Screenshot-20200925-234831.jpg

Screenshot-20200925-235135.jpg

Screenshot-20200925-233547.jpg

Thomas is the lad on the left of the photo.

Screenshot-20200926-104433.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

23 minutes ago, smary said:

You may find this interesting - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43258948/thomas-james-burtoft

Strange if he died back home he seems to be  buried in France.  

Thanks for that....I am now in touch with the lady who posted that information, she is a Burtoft descendant and seems the ideal candidate to be the custodian of Tommy's medal, so kindly offered by Trevjan.

She tells me Tommy's widow married three times after his death and his medals and memorabilia were lost to the Burtoft family, to get one back is a godsend.

I'm just waiting for a reply, she has more information that we will find interesting...I'll post it asap.

Hi to every one and sadbrewer who have helped me to try to return the medal to a member of the Burcroft family the medal has crossed swords and 1914-15 date on it and I look forward to  finding how.