South Yorkshire Bus Review 2020

many of you will remember that the report was delayed and changes made to the recommended timescales for the implementation of the reports recommendations because of Covid.

This meant that the report made 7 recommendations that it said should be implemented in the 3 months following publication

3 months have passed so just how many of the 7 recommendations will have been implemented?

the report can be found here

https://bususers.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/South-Yorkshire-Bus-Review-Report-June-2020.pdf

I think it is about time that the Mayor updated us

Guest busdriver1

Stuff of dreams with no money to implement.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

Stuff of dreams with no money to implement.

perhaps our illustrious mayor will call for a new review which is the standard govt. reaction when they do not want to implement  the recommendations

On 23/09/2020 at 12:27, Bigal1 said:

many of you will remember that the report was delayed and changes made to the recommended timescales for the implementation of the reports recommendations because of Covid.

This meant that the report made 7 recommendations that it said should be implemented in the 3 months following publication

3 months have passed so just how many of the 7 recommendations will have been implemented?

the report can be found here

https://bususers.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/South-Yorkshire-Bus-Review-Report-June-2020.pdf

I think it is about time that the Mayor updated us

Quite simple,  we're in the middle of a pandemic with resources and money been used on much better things. Doubt after this, that the country can even stay afloat, let alone try and take control of buses with public (tax payers) money.

20 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Quite simple,  we're in the middle of a pandemic with resources and money been used on much better things. Doubt after this, that the country can even stay afloat, let alone try and take control of buses with public (tax payers) money.

The report was published when the pandemic was well established (June) and the Mayor has a duty to report back even if he has done nothing after all when he issued it after all his press release when the report was published was what he intended to do including reference to the Coronavirus Recovery Plan so hiding behind the virus is a sham

I love the one about extending OAP passes to end of service. 

I will bet my house that's because of the drunks who are in the pubs every night aren't happy that they have to leave before last orders to get home for free. 

If they can afford to be in the pub they can afford a couple of quid to get home. 

I've been travelling by bus a lot recently due to car issues and there is one massively evident issue with bus transport. 

The passengers. They seem to think that this 10+ ton vehicle can stop at a moments notice, whether they're at the roadside waiting to board and either don't bother to stick their hand out or do it in such a meek fashion that it would be difficult for the driver to tell. Worse still at night, in the dark when they make no effort to be seen. 

At night it must be quite difficult for the drivers to see unlit stops given SYPTE opted to paint them midnight blue of all colours. 

And then we come to getting off, where they press the bell about 50ft (a bus is 40ft) from the stop they want and expect the driver to anchor on, putting everyone at risk. 

But that's if they press the bell at all.  Just last night a woman just stood up and wandered a few feet down the aisle. The bus continued past her stop and she started screaming that he'd gone past her stop, claiming she'd rang the bell and he was punishing her for her race. I firmly told her she has not pressed it as the sign wasn't lit nor had the audible bell rang. 

So the one thing that is missing and needs immediate action is passenger education. 

As far as I can tell they are the cause of a lot of issues when travelling. 

54 minutes ago, Resident said:

I love the one about extending OAP passes to end of service. 

I will bet my house that's because of the drunks who are in the pubs every night aren't happy that they have to leave before last orders to get home for free. 

If they can afford to be in the pub they can afford a couple of quid to get home. 

I've been travelling by bus a lot recently due to car issues and there is one massively evident issue with bus transport. 

The passengers. They seem to think that this 10+ ton vehicle can stop at a moments notice, whether they're at the roadside waiting to board and either don't bother to stick their hand out or do it in such a meek fashion that it would be difficult for the driver to tell. Worse still at night, in the dark when they make no effort to be seen. 

At night it must be quite difficult for the drivers to see unlit stops given SYPTE opted to paint them midnight blue of all colours. 

And then we come to getting off, where they press the bell about 50ft (a bus is 40ft) from the stop they want and expect the driver to anchor on, putting everyone at risk. 

But that's if they press the bell at all.  Just last night a woman just stood up and wandered a few feet down the aisle. The bus continued past her stop and she started screaming that he'd gone past her stop, claiming she'd rang the bell and he was punishing her for her race. I firmly told her she has not pressed it as the sign wasn't lit nor had the audible bell rang. 

So the one thing that is missing and needs immediate action is passenger education. 

As far as I can tell they are the cause of a lot of issues when travelling. 

Absolutely spot on. Passengers/people always want everything for free.

Sometimes I really do think Sheffield bus users don't realise how well they actually have it. Some of the cheapest weekly tickets in the country, and many routes have a £2 max single fare. Try naming any other major cities which offer such cheap fares - even Rotherham and Doncaster have higher fares than Sheffield, and people still moan! Same with this bus review, all based on Sheffield, even though it's supposed to be South Yorkshire...

And before someone spouts "Well London has a £1.50 flat bus fare" have a look at all their fares - https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/bus-and-tram-fares

Edited by Michael_N

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Absolutely spot on. Passengers/people always want everything for free.

Sometimes I really do think Sheffield bus users don't realise how well they actually have it. Some of the cheapest weekly tickets in the country, and many routes have a £2 max single fare. Try naming any other major cities which offer such cheap fares - even Rotherham and Doncaster have higher fares than Sheffield, and people still moan! 

Going back I could always tell when I was in Sheffield. You just had to listen to the passengers. They have lower fares and more frequent buses but the default position would be to get on the bus and moan about something. No matter how trivial a moan would come. Frequently in the rudest manner possible as  we all know the driver is responsible for every aspect of every journey by every company and deserves a roasting for something that happened a week ago in another part of town on another companys bus. After all it was his fault wasnt it? 

It was always a pleasure to get back into Rotherham with the much more polite people and their higher fares that they paid without moaning. And people say why did you leave the bus industry? 😁

Here is the answer from the Mayors office

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

The Bus Review was an Independent Commission Chaired by Clive Betts MP and his independent panel. The review was conducted on behalf of the Mayor of the Sheffield City Region, Dan Jarvis. The panel made 18 recommendations, identified seven findings and four systematic changes.

Due to the breadth and scale of the recommendations made in the Review, there is a lot of work required to understand the costs and resources required to implement them.  At the July MCA meeting, it was agreed that a 7 Point Plan of work will be undertaken to go through the recommendations in detail, focussing on how they can be implemented, the funding required to support delivery and identifying areas where improvements can be delivered quickly.

The impact of the pandemic on the bus network has been significant.  Additional resources have been required to maintain service provision, revenue has fallen due to a reduction in passengers and travel patterns have changed in response to new ways of working, further compounding some of the issues raised in the Bus Review.  Whilst the timescales were amended in the Review at the start of the pandemic, the impact of COVID 19 continues and we are working to understand the lasting impacts for inclusion in our response to the Review.

The Mayor remains committed to improving the regions bus service recognising it is vitally important for our economy and environment.  One of the recommendations from the Review was for the need for change with SYPTE. The Mayor has taken steps to address this, with a view to integrating them fully within the Sheffield City Region Mayoral Combined Authority.  The Mayor is also keen to improve services for disabled users and young people under 25 as part of the Bus Review response and to harness technology as a means of improving our bus system.

Kind regards,

Chloe Shepherd

Senior Programme Manager (Transport)

Sheffield City Region Executive Team

T: 0114 220 3411

6 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Here is the answer from the Mayors office

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

The Bus Review was an Independent Commission Chaired by Clive Betts MP and his independent panel. The review was conducted on behalf of the Mayor of the Sheffield City Region, Dan Jarvis. The panel made 18 recommendations, identified seven findings and four systematic changes.

Due to the breadth and scale of the recommendations made in the Review, there is a lot of work required to understand the costs and resources required to implement them.  At the July MCA meeting, it was agreed that a 7 Point Plan of work will be undertaken to go through the recommendations in detail, focussing on how they can be implemented, the funding required to support delivery and identifying areas where improvements can be delivered quickly.

The impact of the pandemic on the bus network has been significant.  Additional resources have been required to maintain service provision, revenue has fallen due to a reduction in passengers and travel patterns have changed in response to new ways of working, further compounding some of the issues raised in the Bus Review.  Whilst the timescales were amended in the Review at the start of the pandemic, the impact of COVID 19 continues and we are working to understand the lasting impacts for inclusion in our response to the Review.

The Mayor remains committed to improving the regions bus service recognising it is vitally important for our economy and environment.  One of the recommendations from the Review was for the need for change with SYPTE. The Mayor has taken steps to address this, with a view to integrating them fully within the Sheffield City Region Mayoral Combined Authority.  The Mayor is also keen to improve services for disabled users and young people under 25 as part of the Bus Review response and to harness technology as a means of improving our bus system.

Kind regards,

Chloe Shepherd

Senior Programme Manager (Transport)

Sheffield City Region Executive Team

T: 0114 220 3411

My Bold - Another money pot for Jarvis to dip his hand in. The man is a snake oil salesman. People really need to wake up and see this. 

SYPTE covers all of South Yorkshire & whilst I agree a change is needed, why should it be under the perview soley under the Mayor of Sheffield? Rotherham, Doncaster & Barnsley have their own Mayor yet won't have any overview or say regarding public transport?

Edited by Resident