Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Power Cut/Landline And Streetlight Outage S8?

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

My mum just reached me on her mobile.  They experienced a power cut that lasted less than a second.  They've gone round re-setting everything but phoned neighbour and virgin landlines are out and no street lights??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had something similar in S7, approximately 8:25ish.  Lights went off for a second then came back on & tv went on standby. 

 

No problem after that & street lights are on. 

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  Must have been around same time.

 

That's strange.  Virgin landlines went out the same time as the power outage.  Apparently, the street lights have come back on now.  Just Virgin landlines down.  

 

I can't think how that would all be connected but it seems too much of a coincidence not to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quite possible that the power cut triggered safety mechanism on virgin system that would need resetting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My computer in S8 reset itself and the house lights flashed off then on a few minutes ago.  Not all electric went off though.  Seconds later I heard a couple of house alarms going, so its not just my house that was affected.

 

If you are in S8 or close by, make sure you know where your candles and torches are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could it be the re-ajustment of the main high street lighting system thats supposed to be reduced to save energy on all street ligh.ts in sheffield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my colleagues was waken up with a big explosion up the hill from Woodseats, somewhere below Derbyshire lane. It could have been something to do with an electrical fault maybe?

 

Also some workmen are laying new electrical cables across the area, Down Cobner, along Chesterfield road and up Holmhirst. It is a big trench with new cable ducting in it.

Not sure whether this is a standard  upgrade or renewal or something more urgent due to lack of capacity/fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

One of my colleagues was waken up with a big explosion up the hill from Woodseats, somewhere below Derbyshire lane. It could have been something to do with an electrical fault maybe?

 

Also some workmen are laying new electrical cables across the area, Down Cobner, along Chesterfield road and up Holmhirst. It is a big trench with new cable ducting in it.

Not sure whether this is a standard  upgrade or renewal or something more urgent due to lack of capacity/fault.

Yes, I suppose it could be the cable-laying, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be at at around midnight, when I had my power cut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/09/2020 at 11:24, Bigal1 said:

quite possible that the power cut triggered safety mechanism on virgin system that would need resetting

That's interesting.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 15:45, Thirsty Relic said:

Yes, I suppose it could be the cable-laying, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be at at around midnight, when I had my power cut

If you need to splice a new cable in, Midnight would seem a good choice to me when the load is vastly reduced and most people are in bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

If you need to splice a new cable in, Midnight would seem a good choice to me when the load is vastly reduced and most people are in bed.

I thought they always did this at about 08.30 so presume the works were not on a major road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.