Location Of Roads Around 1900

8 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

the guy who ran the cafe  circa 1970 was called Ken

Thanks Mick.

Like I said long time ago.

Strange looking at photo's of when Ecclesall road used to run down to meet up with London Rd, Cemetry Rd and the Moor and just how built up the whole area really was.

Happy Daze. 

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Thanks Mick.

Like I said long time ago.

Strange looking at photo's of when Ecclesall road used to run down to meet up with London Rd, Cemetry Rd and the Moor and just how built up the whole area really was.

Happy Daze. 

yes I remember the area well I used to live on cemetery road.

Ecclesall road and London road was my teenage stomping ground.

I know what you mean about rear wheel blow outs

Iv had 2 or 3 myself

Can anyone tell me how far apart 255, Gleadless Road, 25, Spencer Road and 38, Prospect Road are? I realise that things may have changed since the time I'm enquiring about which is around the 1880s but as Gleadless Road is such a long road I realise that it could be quite a long way apart. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. 🙂

59 minutes ago, grannypat said:

Can anyone tell me how far apart 255, Gleadless Road, 25, Spencer Road and 38, Prospect Road are? I realise that things may have changed since the time I'm enquiring about which is around the 1880s but as Gleadless Road is such a long road I realise that it could be quite a long way apart. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. 🙂

25 Spencer Road and 38 Prospect Road were within a stones throw of each other.

255 Gleadless Road is in the first block of houses just above the old school annexe and sits facing the block between Northcote Road and Romney Road  so that is about 3/4 of a mile away from Prospect Road.

Thank you Organgrinder. That's really helpful. 

It's good to know which side of the street are the even numbers for future reference too.  Very helpful.  Thank you. 

Here is a 1950s map with 25 Spencer Road and 38 Prospect Road arrowed.

Spencer-Road.jpg

Wow Hillsbro that is really helpful.  These were addresses where my great gran lived when my gran was tiny.  People seemed to move house quite often back then but always seemed to stay in the same little area. 

Btw you don't happen to know if  Sheffield Archives hold an electoral roll for any of the years between the 1911 census and the start of WW1 when they stopped for the duration? I know it's a bit random but you seem to be such a source of knowledge when I need to ask these questions that I thought it might be worth asking.  Sheffield Archives did tell me some years ago that not many of the ERs still exist for the early part of the last century.  Were there Kelly's for any of these years, do you know?  The trouble with Kelly's is that they don't do some of the smaller streets and none of the courts but you never know. 

Hi grannypat - it's a long time since I went to the Sheffield Archives or Local Studies Library and I don't know for which years they have electoral rolls and directories, but I know there are some gaps in the electoral rolls collection. The Local Studies Library has the most complete set of directories that I know of but I don't know if it is complete.  I have a directory for 1911  and my next one is 1922, then 1925, 1931 and 1937. You can email the archives on archives@sheffield.gov.uk but the Local Studies Library is closed at present.

Thanks for that Hillsbro. I  just thought that perhaps you might have something squirrelled  away in your stash.  I know that you have a lots of reference material. I shall send Archives an email as you suggest. You are always such a help to me. 

Just heard back from Sheffield Library. The Electoral Rolls are kept at the Local Studies library and this is closed at present due to Coronavirus and therefore they cannot tell me what  ER are available for the period I am asking about. Once this Local Studies section is open once more it would cost me £15 per half hour should I want them to undertake a search on my behalf. 

I think this line of my research is going to have to be put on hold for the time being. Hey ho!. 

Hi grannypat - that's disappointing. I'm surprised they don't know what electoral rolls are in the collection. You'd have thought the catalogue was digitally held and could be accessed.

Yes hillsbro you are right. That was what I had hoped they would tell me even if they can't access the records to do an exact search.  It would seem that the different sections don't communicate with each other so if the person who emailed me wasn't from the relevant section she just didn't know.  I'm all for computers but I have to say that back in 'the good old days' someone would have found out that info so that they could add it to my email.  Is it just me having rose tinted gasses when looking back into the past or did people used to just go that extra mile in those days - well some people?