Location Of Roads Around 1900

I'm just dong some family tree stuff and I find myself wondering how close these ancestors actually lived back around 1900. one runs a shop at 137, Ecclesall Road and the other lives at 48 Cemetery Road. There were little roads which ran between the factories from Ecclesall Road to Napier Street as I recall. I found out the the Ear Grey public house was 97 so it must be on the same side of the road. I think it must have been opposite The Star, don't you think? Perhaps near Hartley's sarsarparilla bar. (not sure of the spelling) I'm not sure of 48, Cemetery Road would have been before where Napier Street joins or after. Probably just before. Does anyone know ?????

Grannypat

Edited by nikki-red

Hi grannypat - No 48 Cemetery Road was on the north side of the road, just before Napier Street.  No 137 Ecclesall Road was about halfway between Renton Street and Summerfield Street, just past the Sheaf Brewery. Here is a map with blue dots indicating the approximate locations of the houses.

Cemetery-Road.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Harrow Street is still there but maybe Renton Street is now 'Twinkl [sic] Way'?

Yes, 'Twinkl Way' seems to be where Renton Street was.  Here is a link to a n "overlay" map of the area, Click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.37264&lon=-1.48281&layers=168&b=1

Edited by hillsbro

137/141 in Kellys for 1972 is a Thrift shop, fancy goods.

Me and my brother were always amazed at the Cork shop (number 117) but never saw it open.

I also remember a greasy bikers cafe some where in that block of shops and watched them being demolished 

while sat outside the Jolly Buffer.

Oh thanks Hillsbro I should have realised that you would know. I was right then about the Ecclesall Road address. It is just across the road from the cinema.  I wonder what it sold. They aren't very far apart though are they? That is so very interesting. Thank you so much and thanks to  Jeffery Shaw and Rockers Rule too. 😀

15 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

137/141 in Kellys for 1972 is a Thrift shop, fancy goods.

Me and my brother were always amazed at the Cork shop (number 117) but never saw it open.

I also remember a greasy bikers cafe some where in that block of shops and watched them being demolished 

while sat outside the Jolly Buffer.

the bikers cafe was called the retreat and was about number 107 / 109 ecclesall rdnear walls chip shop

18 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Hi grannypat - No 48 Cemetery Road was on the north side of the road, just before Napier Street.  No 137 Ecclesall Road was about halfway between Renton Street and Summerfield Street, just past the Sheaf Brewery. Here is a map with blue dots indicating the approximate locations of the houses.

Cemetery-Road.jpg

HI Phil

the one on Cemetery Road is about where a church building

was located which was used as a polling station

circa 1970.

maybe the person was the caretaker?

23 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

the bikers cafe was called the retreat and was about number 107 / 109 ecclesall rdnear walls chip shop

Thank you Mick the name Mick rings a bell as to the owner but such a long time ago couldn't be sure of that.

I had a rear tyre blow out and managed to wedge the bike up against the curb after a good wobbly moment further up outside the Earl Grey.

Quick pint helped. 

Happy Daze.

5 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

HI Phil

the one on Cemetery Road is about where a church building

was located which was used as a polling station

circa 1970.

maybe the person was the caretaker?

Hi Mick - the Vestry Hall was actually at No 54 - here is a scan from an old Kelly's Directory.

Cemetery-Road.jpg

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Thank you Mick the name Mick rings a bell as to the owner but such a long time ago couldn't be sure of that.

I had a rear tyre blow out and managed to wedge the bike up against the curb after a good wobbly moment further up outside the Earl Grey.

Quick pint helped. 

Happy Daze.

the guy who ran the cafe  circa 1970 was called Ken

4 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Hi Mick - the Vestry Hall was actually at No 54 - here is a scan from an old Kelly's Directory.

Cemetery-Road.jpg

many thanks for that Phil