Sheffield United V Relegation

1 hour ago, SomeNextGuy said:

Not looking good, got to make sure we start beating the lesser sides, although you have to score to do that... 

Can't see us staying up this season, but one can hope. 

Neither can I "SomeNextGuy".....

I can see us staying up.  We're not getting over turned, just loosing by the odd goal against some of the best teams in Europe.  We ARE still competing & just need to get it together up front. 

I reckon many are looking at our present position in the context of our performance & final position last season, which was exceptional for a team just promoted.  Even then, goal / striker wise, we weren't exactly setting the football world on fire. 

We've got to realise that at present, even with record signings, (remember our record signings are why behind those of the 'big 6' & the more established Premiership clubs), we are still finding our feet at this level. 

The Premiership, as we know, is made up of 2 divisions within 1.  If you can break in to that top 6 to 8 clubs, brilliant.  What we need to ensure is, based on current performances, that we DO compeat & put a full shift in against the rest of the division & over the season, I reckon we can do this.

Last season I predicted the Blades would finish 13th or 14th.  I'll settle for that at this stage in our Premiership development.

I trust Wilder.  It'll come right. 

Edited by Baron99

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I can see us staying up.  We're not getting over turned, just loosing by the odd goal against some of the best teams in Europe.  We ARE still competing & just need to get it together up front. 

I

Last season I predicted the Blades would finish 13th or 14th.  I'll settle for that at this stage in our Premiership development.

I trust Wilder.  It'll come right. 

I agree - having watched the Man City match the only thing I want to add it that if we don't shoot, we don't score.  Sounds simple, but it's true.  McBernie and Brewster hardly got the ball all match, and nobody else wanted to shoot.  We are getting down the flanks, then passing back to midfield, back to the flank and so on, until we lose the ball.  I doubt if their keeper even got his gloves dirty!

Yes, another defeat, and Chelsea next up, but there are other teams in this league that we can beat.  I don't think we'll even be in the relegation mix at the end of the season... unless the season finishes early (and sadly I do think that is a likely outcome, despite elite sport being allowed to continue through the Covid crisis).

Goalscoring is a problem atm, to say the obvious,  but I just wonder about  McBurnie , I think CW has given him enough chances to prove his worth but he's not going to get the goals we need, can't fault the lad for effort but I would get Billy back in, ok, not a long term solution, but as Keith Edwards keeps saying , he's still the best finisher at the club. I'd play him and Brewster up front, chances aren't going to come along that frequently in this league so we need to be taking as many as we can

We get the ball to the front 2 so rarely that it wouldn't make much difference who was up there.  Criticising players for not scoring when they don't get the ball is not very fruitful!

I'd like to see Burke being given a chance against Chelsea, and a change of style, with us occasionally playing the long ball into space for the pace of Burke when we're under pressure.

Points dropped again...

Serious mistakes are now coming into play heads are down confidence has dropped massively....

Not looking good at all this season.....

We've been playing the cream of Europe recently - Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea.  Not looked at who's up next, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Bayern Munich, PSG or Barca! 

Surely soon we'll be playing teams we can realistically have a chance of beating? Give us a few of those, then look at the table!

On 08/11/2020 at 00:58, Thirsty Relic said:

We've been playing the cream of Europe recently - Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea.  Not looked at who's up next, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Bayern Munich, PSG or Barca! 

Surely soon we'll be playing teams we can realistically have a chance of beating? Give us a few of those, then look at the table!

You've had three of those games already - Leeds, Villa and Fulham - you gained one point.

Edited by Brooker11

Correct Brooker11....

It's no good fielding a team of tryers at this level, It worked last season, mainly due to Henderson's heroics...

This season is not going to plan, you need players of proven quality to stay up.

CW can't compete on the meagre resource's available.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

It's no good fielding a team of tryers at this level, It worked last season, mainly due to Henderson's heroics...

This season is not going to plan, you need players of proven quality to stay up.

CW can't compete on the meagre resource's available.

Is that Wilders choice though? He might of told the board that he was happy with the squad but just needed a striker mainly. I'm guessing he chooses who he wants to sign and that's mainly dropping into the lower league's. Unfortunately the more players signed from there the greater chance they won't make it. I think United can compete financially to be finishing around tenth every season, breaking into the top 6 though it takes money and being clever in the transfer market, I'm not sure Wilder has shown yet he can sign the players needed to stay up for a few seasons.

However I think United would be mad to not give Wilder anotyer 2 or 3 seasons no matter what happens, they owe him that much

Heard Radio Sheffield this morning stating that Wilder reckons the next 10 games are crucial to defining this season?

Looking at those upcoming fixtures, while nothing is a given, Leicester,

Man Utd, (though you never know if they'll turn up) & Everton, you'd be probably look for a draw at best but Everton have hit a bad run, so you never know?  Southampton have hit a bit of form, so again, best at the moment, given our form, a draw at best. 

The other 6, West Ham, West Brom, Brighton, Burnley, Palace & Newcastle.  These are the clubs that we know we've got to go to-to-toe with & beat & on our day, we can do.  I don't think the Blades are lacking in confidence, just performance, especially in the last third. 

There shouldn't be any talk of the Blades parting company with one of the best managers the Blades have had over the past 50 years.  Let's not forget, Wilder won the admiration of his peers only 2 seasons ago, when he was awarded the League Managers award, beating Pep Guardiola & wasn't he runner up to Klopp for the same award last season? 

You don't become a bad manager in the space of a few months.  Even if the Blades were relegated, (I'll stick my neck out & say they won't), I'd give Wilderer & Knill, another chance at promotion.