Sheffield United V Relegation

12 hours ago, Grappler said:

If you are a travelling fan, Nervy, it's not great, I have to admit.

We only got to a couple of away games last season, and that was before Covid stopped live attendances.  Teams like Bournemouth only giving away teams 1200 tickets, or thereabouts.  Brighton were the same.  It was great to get  to a few grounds, but not the same as the Championship,  where we would have an overnight in Preston, or Bristol and enjoy a few beers after the game, without having to rush off.

Edit:  Forgot to add, the money is great for the clubs, so from a business perspective, it is good.

The money is the only good thing, apart from club's outside it. Should do away with parachute money and make club's insert wage reductions if relegated.

Never understood the logic of parachute payments. It's like rewarding failure. Should be scrapped.

4 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Never understood the logic of parachute payments. It's like rewarding failure. Should be scrapped.

That's an easy one... it's the (almost) closed shop trying to ensure it stays that way... however... history shows that many clubs go on to fail, even with these payments... many end up in L1 before turning stuff around.

Edited by Vasquez Rich

On 14/12/2020 at 17:41, Thirsty Relic said:

Malcolm Allison, without who we may well not have won the World Cup

What's Malcolm Allison got to do with the World Cup?

He was playing for West Ham and was the first to see something special in one of the youth players.  He championed his cause, got to coach him, and helped develop the young Bobby Moore.  Without Malcolm, Moore may not have even made it at West Ham, let alone captain England to their biggest triumph.

19 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

He was playing for West Ham and was the first to see something special in one of the youth players.  He championed his cause, got to coach him, and helped develop the young Bobby Moore.  Without Malcolm, Moore may not have even made it at West Ham, let alone captain England to their biggest triumph.

Thank you for pointing that out. I'd forgotten about Malcolm Allison being a former West Ham player. Looking at the Hammer's playing staff from 1956-57 I see he had team mates that went on to be managers/coaches: Noel Cantwell, Frank O'Farrell, Dave Sexton and John Bond were some of them.

Another game lost !!!

Just not Sheffield United's season this time....

16 minutes ago, Box11 said:

Another game lost !!!

Just not Sheffield United's season this time....

Correction:

Just not Sheffield United's 2020.  Roll on 2021!

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Correction:

Just not Sheffield United's 2020.  Roll on 2021!

Hope you're right but I doubt it...

Officially the worst start to a top flight season in English football history.

7 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

You have to be in the top flight to do that though mate, something you don't need to worry about.

Our players actually gave it a go tonight, put two past Man Utd.  They put a shift in, I guess you could say they earned their wages.......

35 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Reminds me of 75/76 - nearly qualified for Europe the season before, spent a club record fee on a striker (£100,000 for Chris Guthrie), all but relegated by New Year - think it was 8 points that season (in the days of 2 for a win).