Sheffield United V Relegation

16 minutes ago, pintor said:

Prince may be reluctant to spend again after Wilders blown most of it and not omproved the team, so loans and a mini clear out needed to raise funds. Hopefully McBurnie will go to wolves and Mousset can be sold/ used part exchange for a goalscorer. As for new manager, I'd go for Howe, but money might be an issue, so maybe we'll wait to get Jokanovic when his current job finishes, whatever the silly season will start soon, lets hope improvements are made

I'd like Howe but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we got Jokanovic instead.  He was rated by Fulham supporters.   It might be the case of spending a substantial amount on getting a decent manager & his backroom staff in place at the expense of buying players & using the manager to improve the squad we have at the start of next season & bringing on the youth academy players & the younger fringe squad members? 

As you say, it looks like a clear put will be on the cards, even if we wanted to keep some of the players, no doubt some will trigger contract clauses anyway.   We'll have to take a hit on some of the transfer money we paid out for the likes of McBurnie.  I read a couple of weeks back that Villa want him but will only pay in the region of £13 to £14 million.  Clearly he / his agent were already thinking of a move with this story doing the rounds with relegation impending & he won't be the only one but we'll be able to save on wages & spend the parachute payments on decent Championship players who might be hungry for a promotion fight? 

Also read that Berg was attracting the attention of Man City. 

Edited by Baron99

As we all know, McBernie is a Swansea nut.  Swansea are in 3rd place in the Championship mas I type this, so are in with a good chance of joining the PL.  Image the coup if they re-signed him, and the supporters reaction.  I can't see Villa getting him for £13m if Swansea also wanted him.

For a season (possibly 2) we are in pole position to keep who we want to keep, sell for decent money a few more (should it suit us), and pay top dollar for top young, hungry  talent.

I hope whoever comes in keeps Heckingbottom, as he's helped bring through the youngsters who are highly prized and likely to make the breakthrough into the starting 11 next season - the likes of Gordon, Ndiaye, Brunt and Hackford.  He'd be able to help their transition into the squad, alongside returning loanees like Norrington-Davies and Ismaila Coulibaly.

Wolves rumoured to be interested in McBurnie,  Steve Bull saying they should sign him🤞. If we can  get rid of Lundstram, Rodwell (another waste of a wage), maybe a goalkeeper  and Ampadu goes back to his club, that should free up a little money, don't forget we've still got Freeman out on loan as well 

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Spend the parachute payments on decent Championship players who might be hungry for a promotion fight? 

Not a dig but that comment in what you wrote is exactly why parachute payments should be scrapped or not go towards FFP at least so club's can't use it on new players. Insert 50% pay cut on relegation or something similar in the players contract if they earning a high amount.

There should be enough players of value in the United squad to cover losses without having to dip into parachute payments.

Edited by NERVY-OWL

29 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Not a dig but that comment in what you wrote is exactly why parachute payments should be scrapped or not go towards FFP at least so club's can't use it on new players. Insert 50% pay cut on relegation or something similar in the players contract if they earning a high amount.

There should be enough players of value in the United squad to cover losses without having to dip into parachute payments.

To be honest, I've never agreed with parachute payments but I'm not in charge. If you look at the likes of Norwich, promoted to the Premiership for the fifth time, they must be one of the richest clubs going, despite being a yo-yo club. 

I agree, players should take a hit in their wages as they are ultimately the ones who are responsible for the division / the league position they find themselves in each May but I don't think the Players' Union would go for that one in a hurry? 

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

To be honest, I've never agreed with parachute payments but I'm not in charge. If you look at the likes of Norwich, promoted to the Premiership for the fifth time, they must be one of the richest clubs going, despite being a yo-yo club. 

I agree, players should take a hit in their wages as they are ultimately the ones who are responsible for the division / the league position they find themselves in each May but I don't think the Players' Union would go for that one in a hurry? 

If the player agrees to it when signing they'd have to. Of course there would be greedy players that would refuse to sign for a club if they insisted on the clause in their contract so it would need club's to stay strong and stand up to them. I meant to put upto 50% though. 

11 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

If the player agrees to it when signing they'd have to. Of course there would be greedy players that would refuse to sign for a club if they insisted on the clause in their contract so it would need club's to stay strong and stand up to them. I meant to put upto 50% though. 

My bold. 

I doubt you'd ever get consensus amongst clubs.  The rewards for success are  too great & as we know, clubs & their accountants & lawyers are smart when it comes to circumventing rules & regulations & they'd do it all they could to keep a good player.   A player takes a 50% wage cut, all of a sudden, a sponsor agrees to sponsor thier shirt for £50,000 week or the club pays similar in a win bonus. 

Edited by Baron99

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

I doubt you'd ever get consensus amongst clubs.  The rewards for success are  too great & as we know, clubs & their accountants & lawyers are smart when it comes to circumventing rules & regulations & they'd do it all they could to keep a good player.   A player takes a 50% wage cut, all of a sudden, a sponsor agrees to sponsor thier shirt for £50,000 week or the club pays similar in a win bonus. 

That's why the games a mess but if there were no parachute payments it might make club's think twice about paying silly wages.

When a club Gaines financially for being relegated the game has really gone crackers .

2 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

That's why the games a mess but if there were no parachute payments it might make club's think twice about paying silly wages.

Well based on the following, the Blades picked up £132 million when finishing 9th in the Premiership last season & will be receiving in the region of £40 million in parachute payments.  Presumably the £40 million is spread over 3 years? 

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/club-by-club-a-breakdown-of-the-2019-20-premier-league-prize-money/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/efl-chief-parachute-payments-evil-eradicated-football

Hope we don't squander it. 

Edited by Baron99

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well based on the following, the Blades picked up £132 million when finishing 9th in the Premiership last season & will be receiving in the region of £40 million in parachute payments.  Presumably the £40 million is spread over 3 years? 

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/club-by-club-a-breakdown-of-the-2019-20-premier-league-prize-money/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/efl-chief-parachute-payments-evil-eradicated-football

Hope we don't squander it. 

Free anaraks for season ticket holders to keep warm as crowds will be sparse for many matches

Throw the so called "big 6" out, even though one of them is currently 7th and another 9th...   and nobody gets relegated. No more than those clubs deserve.