Sheffield United V Relegation

19 hours ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

It bores the life out of me. The results are so predictable these days. The one saving grace over recent years has been the battle to avoid being 3rd bottom as there's only 3/4 clubs each year can win the title. It never used to be like that.

Add VAR into the equation and the removal of any physical contact the game in the PL will only get worse. But it panders to the world wide audience, so that makes it OK in some peoples eyes. It's the best league in the world because people tell you it is. It's lost it's soul, because it's soul has been traded for money. Proper football people saw it coming years ago, Brian Clough knew.  Bit by bit it's being dismantled from the beautiful thing it was.

I can watch a good match at any level, but batterings are no fun. I sometimes wish the top six could be pushed out into a European super league and try and return our top league to what it was, a place where everyone had a chance.

I've been advocating sending the 'Big 6' (or 7, or 8) off to a Euro League for many years. The clubs remaining should then be prevented from 'buying' titles and cups. Pay reasonable wages (capped, stuff Capitalism) reasonable transfer fees (regardless of ability) and maybe, just maybe, we'd get Blades playing for United, Owls playing for Wednesday, and Shrimps playing for Morecambe! Foreigners would be allowed, assuming they don't want a million a week, and move for the good of their game, and the clubs' benefit. THEN, we'd see the same passion and intent from the players, as we would from the fans. 

What really annoys me about this car crash of a season is that it could have been avoided if Chris Wilder hadn't been so stubborn with his formation and team selections. In his first 3 seasons he played a number 10, usually Duffy, behind the front 2 and it produced exciting, winning football. It was only at the start of last season that he adopted a more cautious approach by withdrawing the number 10 and playing a holding midfielder and two box to box. It worked in the first season for various reasons which have been discussed many times but was starting to run out out of steam sometime in the second half of the season as the other teams got used to it and worked out how to combat it. He should have returned to using a number 10 either at the start of this season or after the first half a dozen games when it became clear it was no longer working.

His team selections and substitutions have also been questionable with too much loyalty shown to players like Norwood and Basham. When I saw his team for the Fulham match, I thought I was hallucinating as I thought it was so bad and setting the players up to fail, which they themselves seemed to feel deep down too. Despite the injuries, he had other options and could have been bold by picking Osborn at LWB, Bogle or McGoldrick on the right side of midfield and Burke with his pace on the left and either McGoldrick or Sharp as the number 10 behind McBurnie and Brewster. I know those two haven't performed well but they cost around £43 million between them and owe us goals. With a more attacking formation, they might actually have had some chances instead of feeding on scraps.

1 hour ago, despritdan said:

What really annoys me about this car crash of a season is that it could have been avoided if Chris Wilder hadn't been so stubborn with his formation and team selections. In his first 3 seasons he played a number 10, usually Duffy, behind the front 2 and it produced exciting, winning football. It was only at the start of last season that he adopted a more cautious approach by withdrawing the number 10 and playing a holding midfielder and two box to box. It worked in the first season for various reasons which have been discussed many times but was starting to run out out of steam sometime in the second half of the season as the other teams got used to it and worked out how to combat it. He should have returned to using a number 10 either at the start of this season or after the first half a dozen games when it became clear it was no longer working.

His team selections and substitutions have also been questionable with too much loyalty shown to players like Norwood and Basham. When I saw his team for the Fulham match, I thought I was hallucinating as I thought it was so bad and setting the players up to fail, which they themselves seemed to feel deep down too. Despite the injuries, he had other options and could have been bold by picking Osborn at LWB, Bogle or McGoldrick on the right side of midfield and Burke with his pace on the left and either McGoldrick or Sharp as the number 10 behind McBurnie and Brewster. I know those two haven't performed well but they cost around £43 million between them and owe us goals. With a more attacking formation, they might actually have had some chances instead of feeding on scraps.

"Correct"....

CW is very stubborn i also find him very arrogant too....

I can't get my head around the fact that he is sticking to a system that is not producing the goods.....

Totally beyond me it's too late now to find a new manager to save this season the rot has set in....

I really fear for next season also.....

1 hour ago, Box11 said:

"Correct"....

CW is very stubborn i also find him very arrogant too....

I can't get my head around the fact that he is sticking to a system that is not producing the goods.....

Totally beyond me it's too late now to find a new manager to save this season the rot has set in....

I really fear for next season also.....

I actually meant Norwood and Lundstram but typed Basham by mistake. I think more and more fans are getting frustrated by his refusal to recognise what the problem is and try something different.

3 hours ago, despritdan said:

Two up front is a must for us on the premiership,  unless you have a quality unit like Leicester's, who are brilliant at counter attacking,  you've no chance with one forward.  As you say a number 10 type player is an option,  but Mcgoldrick isn't quick enough to make the ground up, Norwood wants to float the ball around the field, but is hopeless when the ball is lost, therefore we are carrying 2 players who neither have pace or defensive capabilities. Norwood will be retained as he will be good again in the championship next year as his game suits it. We need to have a overall of the squad, let Brewster have a run till seasons end, along with Bogle, Baldock can go for me, he's  a decent player but no goal threat when going forwards.  Signing wise CW has signed McBurnie, Ramsdale, & the ever elusive Mousset? who we would struggle to get even  half of what we paid for them now, so I guess we're stuck with them, I'd go in for Woodrow at Barnsley & offer one of the above as bait, Sharp to retire to a attacking coaching role. As for Jags, need to release him & put the wages towards a n other  player, Rodwell "remember him!" same, and no more stupid signings thinking CW can polish a brick into a diamond, Mousset, Burke,Morrison etc, sign the finished article! 

Another game and another defeat...

Certain fans must be sick of this by now I know I am when will it end....

19 minutes ago, Box11 said:

Another game and another defeat...

Certain fans must be sick of this by now I know I am when will it end....

Its the Premier League though so its all good.........apparently.

14 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Its the Premier League though so its all good.........apparently.

Yeah I'm not sick of the Premier league just sick of Sheffield United's situation....

All that hard work from L1 and for what.....

Total misery.....

Last season pushing for Europe and not waiting to get a point to avoid Derbys record low.

CW isnt the manager of the previous 4 seasons. He looks shot to pieces and his whole tone has changed.

So many injuries, mistakes, players who seem to have peaked last season all coming together plus the fact that we really can't compete financially at this level.

Plus, years of CW being the 'chosen one' and de facto leader of half the city, while the other half looks on in grudging respect is a big weight to carry. 

Anyone who thinks we're coming straight back up needs to think again. 

This can be linked straight to the fact that we didn't strengthen the squad after last year's heroics.  We knew we couldn't count on a relatively injury-free season, and that we needed more quality players.  The failure of the club to relax the purse-strings to enable CWAK to get players in has resulted in relegation.  Now we'll lose our best assets (players and maybe managers) in the summer.

39 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

This can be linked straight to the fact that we didn't strengthen the squad after last year's heroics.  We knew we couldn't count on a relatively injury-free season, and that we needed more quality players.  The failure of the club to relax the purse-strings to enable CWAK to get players in has resulted in relegation.  Now we'll lose our best assets (players and maybe managers) in the summer.

The signings have been abysmal, Wilders hasn't addressed the striker problem since we left the championship 2yrs!, none of the players, bar Berge, maybe have improved the team imo. Here's a question,  (given the choice baring in mind the nucleus of the team will still be here next season),

do we stick with em , knowing that if we came back up they're not good enough, 2 yrs older too, or have a clear out and build again,hopefully a stronger squad to challenge the season after.

I would give CW ten games max next season, if no improvement he must go

3 minutes ago, pintor said:

The signings have been abysmal, Wilders hasn't addressed the striker problem since we left the championship 2yrs!, none of the players, bar Berge, maybe have improved the team imo.

Again, its a money issue.  Look at the list of players we were in for but didn't get as other teams were willing to pay for them and their wages, so we settled for nobody, or lesser players.  Matty Cash, Ollie Watkins, Craig Dawson and Jesse Lingard come immediately to mind, and Neil Maupay and the fullback Robinson last season as well.  No doubt I've missed many others out as well.

Clubs that go down and don't go straight back up have suffered badly in the past, and I can see players leaving and us not paying the going rate for decent replacements. 

While we look back fondly at the crop of Monty, Jags, Tonge - that was a generation ago - and we've only brought the odd ones through since, so no matter how good we keep being told the young players are, they are unlikely to be the mainstay of the side going forward.