Sheffield United V Relegation

46 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

We should be concerned about the lack of fight from one player? The rest of the team were putting themselves about and battling, in particular Norwood's midfield counterparts (fleck and lundstram).

Norwood appeared tired and should have been taken off the pitch. He had little desire and I think I would have rather have been playing with 10 men at times. 

If he's no longer upto it, the he doesn't get a shirt, it is as simple as that. Coming from a player like Roy Keane, who sent players into Row Z.....you would rightly expect him to pull Norwood on his performance, he was right to.

I'm not even buying the risk of a second yellow Atticus mate, Norwood's performance as a whole was substandard. He was a Yard or two off the pace all the game, his pass completion was terrible, he simply had a poor game.

Likewise, there is still no fact in our friends theory, because other players worked their gonads off.

Norwood was awful, no doubt about it , I’d have taken him off at half time.You just know though if he’d have jumped in to the tackle and got himself a yellow that Keane would have been all over it at half time .

1 hour ago, pintor said:

Agree, Norwood was shocking yesterday,  why didn't CW hook him of at half time, he was partly responsible for all three goals, if  you look closely at the first goal, the corner is coming in right in his direction and he turns away from it, frightened of heading the ball, reminds me of the guy at S6, Bannan,  another thing is he's  virtually useless when we lose the ball, also like BB, so we are carrying a player against teams like Spurs. As for Burke he can chase a ball down, quickly making up 30/35yards then he looks round and there's no one to centre it to, didsy is way off the pace, we need two up front in every game from now on, let didsy play just behind them

In all my time of watching Bannan I've never seen him gift the opposition two goals like Norwood did yesterday, also Norwood cost in excess of £2m whilst Bannan was a free.

18 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

In all my time of watching Bannan I've never seen him gift the opposition two goals like Norwood did yesterday, also Norwood cost in excess of £2m whilst Bannan was a free.

If you read the post I mention about neither of them heading the ball

Edited by pintor

8 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

This thread is about Norwood isn't it, not Bannan in all fairness.

To counter your comment.. I've never seen Norwood have such a shocking game in a blades shirt and gift 2 goals in the manner that he did at the weekend.... and he's played just shy of 90 games for us now, a large percentage of those in the top flight! 

He' a 3 times Premier League promotion winner and he has put in some real quality performances for us in the past, which is why that performance disappointed so much. I feel almost inclined and obliged to find an excuse for such a woeful showing.

I don't know why he was off the pace, but he was. He looked knackered and switched off, rather than disinterested. He will have no doubt received a few choice words in the dressing room, therefore it is on him now to come back and respond. He seems a genuine enough bloke and I am pretty certain that he will respond in the right way. If not, then he loses his shirt doesn't he?....I've said it a few times, I feel sorry for flecky and lundstram, both of which had a decent game.

Norwood has like most been great for us, but he doesn't seem to be on it this season, if we are going back to the championship he will maybe recover his form (hopefully), but the squad needs a good sorting out at seasons end, most of the team that got us into the premiership will be in their 30s  even if we come straight back up,  so won't cut it then if not now.  Signings have been poor and those we have signed would struggle to command a fee anywhere near what we paid for them now,I'm sure they will address this at S2 come seasons end

4 hours ago, cmonkes said:

This thread is about Norwood isn't it, not Bannan in all fairness.

To counter your comment.. I've never seen Norwood have such a shocking game in a blades shirt and gift 2 goals in the manner that he did at the weekend.... and he's played just shy of 90 games for us now, a large percentage of those in the top flight! 

He' a 3 times Premier League promotion winner and he has put in some real quality performances for us in the past, which is why that performance disappointed so much. I feel almost inclined and obliged to find an excuse for such a woeful showing.

I don't know why he was off the pace, but he was. He looked knackered and switched off, rather than disinterested. He will have no doubt received a few choice words in the dressing room, therefore it is on him now to come back and respond. He seems a genuine enough bloke and I am pretty certain that he will respond in the right way. If not, then he loses his shirt doesn't he?....I've said it a few times, I feel sorry for flecky and lundstram, both of which had a decent game.

What about the Palace game when he was jogging idly back and pointing to others to stop Eze's run?

Lack of effort and motivation.

Well, you can't blame the management duo - they were identifying top Championship players for the last 18 months or so that we didn't land.  Instead, other clubs with deeper pockets got them and they are doing better than us - partly as a result.  We're still supposedly looking at the 2 that didn't go to rival PL teams, and perhaps we may get them, although I'd not put money on it.  Both are midfielders, but we are prioritisng a left sided centre-back for this window.

While Covid is still depleting the squad (and arguably still affecting others), Bogle has taken his chance - what about others coming through?  There isn't a good holding central midfielder by any chance..,,?

WBA winning at Wolves, Brighton beating Leeds and now Burnley winning at Anfield.

Can Blades win at Old Trafford or Etihad?  Very, very unlikely.

Therefore relegation is nailed on.

They are having a great FA Cup run....

I have said that it seems the players aren't playing for CW seems I have that wrong the problem seems to be that the players can't cut it in the Premier league or preform at this level....

I would rather Sheffield United survive in the Premier league than have a great FA Cup run.....

Can I ask a serious question of SUFC fans (this is not a dig before you rush to the report button):

We're often told that the club has no debt and is receiving ample money from the Premier League so why haven't they at least tried to get a couple of fresh faces in this transfer window (yes I know there's still time) given their dire league position.

I repeat this is not a dig I'm merely curious what fans think.

I assume we are still trying to get fresh faces in.  CW has often said we are, but that they will be loan deals at this stage.  Let's face it, how many top players would relish a move to a club in our position in the league?  We have clearly needed temporary replacements for our long term injured key players, but have not been able to compete on finance with better-healed opponents. 

I think we'd be looking at some top, experienced PL players towards the end of their current contracts and not playing, who might be up for a few months loan at a PL club to put themselves in the "shop window" for clubs to sign in the summer.

A tall left-sided Centre-Back, and a holding midfielder look to be the obvious priorities.

On 25/01/2021 at 15:00, Thirsty Relic said:

I assume we are still trying to get fresh faces in.  CW has often said we are, but that they will be loan deals at this stage.  Let's face it, how many top players would relish a move to a club in our position in the league?  We have clearly needed temporary replacements for our long term injured key players, but have not been able to compete on finance with better-healed opponents. 

I think we'd be looking at some top, experienced PL players towards the end of their current contracts and not playing, who might be up for a few months loan at a PL club to put themselves in the "shop window" for clubs to sign in the summer.

A tall left-sided Centre-Back, and a holding midfielder look to be the obvious priorities.

Reports yesterday that CW gave the board a list of players and was told the board would not commit funds even for loans, looks like they've waved the white flag.

this is MY opinion, the present owner duped the previous owner to get the club, and is now looking after himself not the club,