Sheffield United V Relegation

Wilder may turn out like Warnock before him to be great at getting the most out of fairly average players that come in for little outlay and cementing them as as a team, as soon as they get money to spend they go to pieces.

15 hours ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

Why is it too early to be talking about relegation? On a football forum? Really? 

Fact of the matter is I'm sure both United and Wednesdays management have been thinking about it. Relegation for either club would be a disaster.

United I reckon will be in the mix. The loss of that goalkeeper will hit them hard and the lad they've brought in doesn't look very good to be honest. I thought of the 3 goals he's conceded already in the league the other lad would have stopped at least 2 of them. The £22m signing late last season looks to be a mistake as well, I kept my eye on him the other night and he doesn't look up for the fight, just jogs around all game. Wilder needs to get him sorted. Then what happened to Moussett? Has he really fell foul of Wilders emotions?

Now that's a cool £50m along with wages to worry about, but having said all that I'd think United would be very unlucky to get relegated.

West Brom, Fulham I think will take 2 spots so the third place will be between, United (for reasons above) Burnley (Deep issues here with support for the manager), Newcastle, Villa and Southampton, with West Ham, Leeds and Brighton sitting just above these teams.

If I was to have a bet, i'd go West Brom, Fulham and Burnley. 

Mousset is recovering from ligament surgery on one of his toes. 

The problem for me is the midfield, partly because Lundstram and Fleck aren't creating enough chances for the strikers but mainly because of the negative, defensive way they are set up. We're desperately needing a return to a system incorporating a number 10 behind 2 strikers, which would mean either inverting the midfield triangle or playing a back four with a midfield diamond, which would be my choice. If I was manager for a day and could pick the team against Leeds, I'd have Berge at the rear with Basham on the right, Osborn on the left and McGoldrick behind a front 2 of McBurnie and Burke. It might not work and we might concede goals but at least we'd pose an attacking threat and it would be more exciting than what we're seeing at the moment.

Must admit i've done a 360 on Berge.

I thought when we first signed him the game seemed to pass him by and he wanted too much time on the ball.

Now he seems to create his own space and he makes the game look easy. He can play the perfectly weighted through ball, we just need a striker to run on to them.

Its an early call ,but like cmonkes i think we might just have got a very special player on our books.

Berge is one-paced, can drop the shoulder occasionally, but is almost as much of a waste of money as  McBurnie the infrequent goal scorer.

If defence starts leaking... relegation beckons.

Sharp.  Got the coaching badges?  

1 hour ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

Would that be a 180 deg?😀

It's not often I watch United to be honest, having said that I watched the Wolves and Villa games. I think it was the Villa game I tracked him around the pitch and there wasn't much effort going in. I'm sure Wilder must have picked up on this as well. Having said that, that's what a lot of the players do these days when they've set themselves up for life.

Of course, this observation was but a small snapshot of the player and could be totally wrong or at least recoverable once the management teams gone to work on him. The effort he puts in can be increased by good management. The goalie though is another problem don't you think. I can see united missing the lad they had last season as the new lad doesn't seem very good at all. I reckon he'd have saved all 3 goals conceded if he'd still been there.

Going to be an interesting season this for both clubs.

It would be a 180 , what was I thinking !!

I don’t see the same Berge on the pitch as you do .

its all about opinions I suppose, let’s give it half a dozen games , who knows I might end up going the full 360 🙂

Nothing to do with first two games but, Imo blades should get rid of

Mcburnie, great workrate but championship at best,

Mousset, not right attitude 

Mcgoldrick, too slow

Sharp, make him striking coach

Use any cash from first two towards signing Brewster & young Arsenal lad 

and loan King from Bournemouth 

It's always going to be a fight for survival I'm afraid, last season was an exceptional season, and all credit to the Blades.

Without a top manager, huge investment, massive stadium they will struggle..

Chris Wilder has been magnificence, but without the proper tools I feel he has taken them as far as he can..

Personally I think Blades can thank Hendo for last seasons heroics, now he's gone, I fear the worst.

Hope I'm wrong..

4 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

Come back towards the end of the season guys and please, continue to write us off!! It works wonders for our team of absolute workhorses.

Let's focus on the key points you have all made so far....

Berge, apparently not up to it?

Wilder now out of his depth without big money?

Relegation fodder?

Struggle without Hendo / Rammer a poor replacement?

Any more you want to add, more to laugh off come May! 

I'm certainly not writing the Blades off, just got a few niggling doubts about which direction they are heading.

Time will tell, as you say..

2 hours ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

I think by doing that United would be getting dragged into a financial situation they could well do without. Not sure what they paid for McBurnie but the £50m spent on Berge, the goalie and Moussett doesn't look well spent. At least McBurnie tries as well, he might not be up to much but he's a 100%er.

I reckon you're spot on here. It needed owners with some foresight. It could well be that Wilder has topped out and is a mirror image of Warnock, i.e. great 2nd level and below manager.

They should have gone and got a top manager, who exactly that should have been I really wouldn't know and it probably wouldn't have been a popular decision either but I believe United were in a similar situation to what Southampton were with Nigel Adkins. They had the foresight, got rid and never really looked back.

I think the one thing in Uniteds favour this year is West Brom and Fulham look certs for the drop, Burnley have internal issues, Villa, Newcastle and Brighton I'd have thought would be in the mix but may have enough, going to be interesting. 

Cant compare with Southampton, they sold most of their team over years for mega bucks,  Van dijk£75m, Shaw£30m, Alderwield£11m, Oxlade Chamberlain£15m  Lallana£25m,Mane£34m, etc, raising over £300m, then reinvested 

13 hours ago, cmonkes said:

😂😂😂😂😂 Don't have to warrant this with any sort of reply, it is comedy gold.

I try and be fair in opinion and I have to agree that McBurnie is yet to show anywhere near what we paid. He hasn't justified his fee or anywhere near yet. 

Answered your own comedy gold...

Also, fear CW's in danger of becoming Colin's (aka NW) referee moaning.

And, disciplinary record is looking poor.

So Wilder’s the new Warnock 🤣

Nice try