Sheffield United V Relegation

I know it's early....

Are Sheffield United going to struggle this season with the likelihood of relegation not looking too good without Henderson no wonder Manchester United wouldn't let him go......

Edited by Box11

We're only 2 matches into the league season and people are already asking the question. 

We lost the first to a very good Wolves side that finished top half last year, then we've just played the vast majority of a match against big-spending Villa with 10 men, and only lost to the only goal.

No matter what the result next week against Leeds, there are 38 matches in the season, so wait until Xmas (if Covid allows the season to go that far) before asking that question!

I've never bought into the old adage that 'It's a marathon not a sprint', there are plenty of games left to go at etc.  The mentally of going into a game should be, treat each as a cup final to try & secure the points. 

Let's be honest, we didn't just consolidate our position in the Premiership last season, we over achieved it.  The problem from last season is still there this season as far as the games I've seen?  We're not seeing enough from the strikers & we probably can't rely on the defence bailing us out, game in, game out. We need to see more fire power up front. 

Having said all that, I still believe in Chris Wilder's ability to turn things around & I believe that we are a good mid table side.  There are a number of other clubs who have already spent far more than we have & are more likely over the season to struggle.  The likes of Newcastle, West Ham, West Brom, Southampton & Villa didn't look that great last night,. against 10 men & everything has to go through Grealish with them. 

Maybe we're having our season's blip at the start of the season. 

Maybe Blades have been rumbled... over-lapping centre backs, strikers who don't score, journeymen championship and League 1 players who don't quite cut it at the top level.

Loads of time yet, no need to panic!

Glad social media wasn't around in the Dave Bassett era, we didn't win a game until Christmas and still stayed up!

2 hours ago, scottf said:

Glad social media wasn't around in the Dave Bassett era, we didn't win a game until Christmas and still stayed up!

...until the following season

Maybe they have been undone by a very good Wolves team and then some of the worst one eyed refereeing I have seen in a while, during which they played 80 minutes with 10 men and only lost 1-0 and on balance of good chances could have been 1-1.

The lack of discipline worried me last night. How many bookings were there in total? Don't want a return to the reputation of the Warnock 'clogger' days.

Agreed, it's far too early to talk about relegation but our general defensive play looks ragged compared to last season. Other teams will notice that.

3 hours ago, scottf said:

Oh yes!  Didn't it work out that if the season had started around Boxing Day, we'd have had a top 6 finish? 

26 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Maybe they have been undone by a very good Wolves team and then some of the worst one eyed refereeing I have seen in a while, during which they played 80 minutes with 10 men and only lost 1-0 and on balance of good chances could have been 1-1.

Let's face it though it didn't help that we couldn't tuck away a penalty. 

A surprising possibility for the Leeds match has come about, due to events and the squad numbering this season.

Could we actually start a match the old-fashioned way, with our team numbered 1 to 11, for the first time for ages?

Egan (12) is banned, Norwood (16) dropped, McGoldrick (17) out as well.  Looks like it all depends on whether we can get Mousset back in time....

Abit early to be thinking about that, same goes for Wednesday and what they can do this season. You don't seem at it though like last season, might just be a slow start and loosing a defender so early last night won't of helped you.

Henderson was a major factor in Sheffield United's success last season for me he was a fantastic goalkeeper with a good pair of hands he will be sadly missed.....