Reset Hp Printer

I put some new HP inks into my HP C5280 printer and it still refused to print. It gave the message "Cartridge error. Refer to documentation."  I think this  error message is false but the problem can be solved by resetting the printer. But how should I do this?  I looked it up on the net and all I could find was a video with no sound and it was too difficult to follow. Could someone please help me.

Thanks swarfendor 437. I'll give it a go right now...... Well that didn't work for me. I keep getting the message "Cartridge error. Refer to documentation." But thanks for trying to help me.

Edited by woolyhead

Just one question.. Are they genuine branded HP inks?

No, they are lookalikes but in the past they have worked ok

It might just be a bad one. Will the company take it back or exchange it?

I'm fairly sure that some HP ones have the print head on the ink cartridge, buying used/refilled can cause problems. I have also had issues with genuine ones from HP but they were always exchanged.

I can fully understand why people buy the cheaper ones as the price for genuine can be more than a new printer in some cases. I've read that people tend to go for Epson printers for use with aftermarket inks, have a read and see if it's still the case. If you do a lot of printing, one that can use a continuous ink system might save you a fair bit on ink costs.

No Zach, it's not a bad one because it worked for some time before it stopped. I've heard of that service Zach but I don't do much printing. Do you think that may be the trouble due to the long elapsed time between attempts to print.  Also I was given this printer some years ago and it wasn't new even then. But when it works the printing quality is good. I was not given the installation disc however. Do you happen to know if I can get an installation disc and where from?

Edited by woolyhead
omissions to original

Have you tried cleaning the print heads?

1. Open HP Solution Center: ...
  2. Click Settings ( ), and then click Printer Toolbox. ...
  3. Click the Device Services tab, and then click Clean Printheads.
  4. Click Clean to begin 

8 hours ago, woolyhead said:

No Zach, it's not a bad one because it worked for some time before it stopped. I've heard of that service Zach but I don't do much printing. Do you think that may be the trouble due to the long elapsed time between attempts to print.  Also I was given this printer some years ago and it wasn't new even then. But when it works the printing quality is good. I was not given the installation disc however. Do you happen to know if I can get an installation disc and where from?

No need at all for a disc with drivers on, go to HP and just download the latest ones.

Continuous Ink systems aren't those subscription things some companies now have, it's a fitting to an existing printer that you fill the (much bigger) tanks on. I'd never use it enough and it sounds like you wouldn't either.

If it worked then stopped, it is possible it has dried, or it's just knackered

The steps max lists above are well worth a go, nothing to lost by running a few tests/clean etc.

Edited by zach

On 26/09/2020 at 13:29, max said:

Have you tried cleaning the print heads?

1. Open HP Solution Center: ...
  2. Click Settings ( ), and then click Printer Toolbox. ...
  3. Click the Device Services tab, and then click Clean Printheads.
  4. Click Clean to begin 

Hi Max. No. I hadn't tried cleaning the heads but when I followed your suggestion exactly the heads were not cleaned and the error light flashed throughout the attempt. The printer just refused to clean its heads. I think Zach has the answer ie the cartridge is not accepted because the printer is very fussy about who made it. Some lookalikes work, others don't.

On 23/09/2020 at 09:37, zach said:

It might just be a bad one. Will the company take it back or exchange it?

I'm fairly sure that some HP ones have the print head on the ink cartridge, buying used/refilled can cause problems. I have also had issues with genuine ones from HP but they were always exchanged.

I can fully understand why people buy the cheaper ones as the price for genuine can be more than a new printer in some cases. I've read that people tend to go for Epson printers for use with aftermarket inks, have a read and see if it's still the case. If you do a lot of printing, one that can use a continuous ink system might save you a fair bit on ink costs.

I tried to return it to one particular supplier but what an embarrassment ... it wasn't one of theirs. But I still have two more delivery notes showing two other suppliers so I'll try them. I like your suggestion of using a continuous ink system. I'd never hear of this type before. Also I'll start studying Epson printers for the reason you suggest. Thank for your help.

1 hour ago, woolyhead said:

I tried to return it to one particular supplier but what an embarrassment ... it wasn't one of theirs. But I still have two more delivery notes showing two other suppliers so I'll try them. I like your suggestion of using a continuous ink system. I'd never hear of this type before. Also I'll start studying Epson printers for the reason you suggest. Thank for your help.

There may be others that use it. Just google 'Continious Ink' or 'CIS'  That should get you on the right track. Or if any forum users use it...step in 😉