Wheres Nice To Live In Sheffield

I'm thinking of moving to Sheffield from Chesterfield and was wondering what areas are nice to live in and what ones are best to stay away from thanks 

I suppose it depends what you are looking for in the area that you choose to live in. Are you looking to buy somewhere to live - or do you intend to rent?

I grew up in the Wadsley/Loxley/Wisewood areas of Sheffield 6 and although I've lived and worked in London for most of my adult life,  it's those areas that I will choose to move back to when I come "home" to Sheff in my retirement years. I think you get the best of both worlds in those areas - on the one hand, you're near to shops and supermarkets and on the other hand you are very near to lovely, open countryside. The public transport system is ok - an ok bus service and a tram service from Hillsborough that will get you into the city centre in less than half an hour...  and there are some decent schools not too far away if you have kids.  Property prices are not the cheapest in Sheffield, but quite reasonable if you're looking to buy.  Rents are a bit steep in that area and there's not a huge amount of choice if you are looking for posh "artisan" type shops - like independent outlets, fancy delis,  ethnic restaurants, lively modern pubs and bars etc - but all of these are only a short drive or public transport trip away.

I'd definitely recommend large parts of  Sheff 6 as one of the "nicer" areas for you to consider. Can't comment on any of the "less nice" areas, because I've never lived in any of 'em!  

Hope this helps,

On 21/09/2020 at 15:58, Timetravla said:

I'm thinking of moving to Sheffield from Chesterfield and was wondering what areas are nice to live in and what ones are best to stay away from thanks 

Why are you looking to move from Chesterfield to Sheffield? The reasoning behind the move will help to ascertain what areas you might suit you. Where have you spent time when you've been to Sheffield - what's attracted you?

Otherwise everyone's liable to say the area they live in is the best.

I lived in Crookes for 11 years. Found it a little claustrophobic. Poor parking.

Crosspool's pleasant. So's Lodge Moor.

I agree with the above poster about Loxley and I've a lot of time for Fulwood, and out Millhouses Park way.  It really does depend on your criteria.

I've lived at Gleadless since '84. Been very happy there. Like a lot of areas it has its nicer and noisier parts.

Lived in a flat in Hillsborough for a very short time. Very close to the shops, but I like quiet. The Hillsborough area I knew was not quiet (just around the corner from Swiggy's-that-was).

Everyone's bound to defend/promote their area so it would help if you mentioned what's important to influence your final choice.

It's also worth reading the Sheffield Star on a regular basis to find out the .....er.......action areas to avoid.