Acquiring Land From The Council

I wish to purchase a patch of grass at the side of my house as I wish to extend my garden. It belongs to Sheffield City council. 
I enquired to them about purchasing it directly as I’ve never done anything like this before. After a couple months waiting, I was told simply that I could not purchase it. I wasn’t given any reason or the opportunity to re negotiate. I’ve since emailed again to try and challenge their decision or even go down the correct route, even if I could have the chance to speak to someone and understand their reasons but they are not responding to any emails. 
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me please?

38 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Have you tried talking to one of your Councillors?

No I haven’t. I wouldn’t know where/how to start?

1 minute ago, JamesBlacks said:

No I haven’t. I wouldn’t know where/how to start?

you should be able to find contact details for your local councillors on the sheffield council website

19 hours ago, JamesBlacks said:

I wish to purchase a patch of grass at the side of my house as I wish to extend my garden. It belongs to Sheffield City council. 
I enquired to them about purchasing it directly as I’ve never done anything like this before. After a couple months waiting, I was told simply that I could not purchase it. I wasn’t given any reason or the opportunity to re negotiate. I’ve since emailed again to try and challenge their decision or even go down the correct route, even if I could have the chance to speak to someone and understand their reasons but they are not responding to any emails. 
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me please?

Who uses the grassed area? Does it lead to any other properties, for instance, or does it serve only yours?

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Who uses the grassed area? Does it lead to any other properties, for instance, or does it serve only yours?

The grass is only used by my little boy. We get a lot of dog walkers on the pavement adjacent to the grass, with some of them leaving their mess on there which is very annoying. The only property that it is next to is ours.

OK- so there are no real grounds on which SCC can reasonably justify refusing to sell it to you.

Of course, there's still no legal obligation on them to sell.