Club Waters Close To Sheff 13

Thanks spider, I've no decided against Treeton.

I had a chat with a chap called Tony who's a nice bloke and with the banks limiting the pegs I can manage plus the power boats then talk of folk swimming I think it's not for me. Apparently the water belongs to the boat club, power boats are there to stay.

Like I said, not for me.

Be aware that the bottom pond at carterhall is ' the carp' pond. All the large carp in the top pond were transferred to the bottom pond when it was first established. 

With my wife I had a drive up to Phyllis Lake by the side of the Straight Mile, it was quite busy. I was shown photographs of the carp also the Sturgeon that comes out on a regular basis. 28lb. The pond only has 20 pegs or so, why would such a fish be in such a tiny water. There were the odd picture showing roach.

When the furlough ends with the cooler temperatures I'll be up there for the roach and skimmers.

It's certainly too busy in the warmer months, every peg was occupied, such a small water can never fish well with that amount of anglers.

Never mind the fact that a number of fishermen use two rods making for less room.

It's proving not too easy to find a suitable fishery, there are thousands of local waters that I can manage, trouble being they are far too busy.

1 hour ago, Mr Hinks said:

With my wife I had a drive up to Phyllis Lake by the side of the Straight Mile, it was quite busy. I was shown photographs of the carp also the Sturgeon that comes out on a regular basis. 28lb. The pond only has 20 pegs or so, why would such a fish be in such a tiny water. There were the odd picture showing roach.

When the furlough ends with the cooler temperatures I'll be up there for the roach and skimmers.

It's certainly too busy in the warmer months, every peg was occupied, such a small water can never fish well with that amount of anglers.

Never mind the fact that a number of fishermen use two rods making for less room.

It's proving not too easy to find a suitable fishery, there are thousands of local waters that I can manage, trouble being they are far too busy.

I had a walk round KJS at killamarsh and the first two ponds were empty.

A look up there is on the cards. KJS at Aston has some pegs I can manage, Aston has been very busy. Like I said the coolers weather may keep folk home.

1 hour ago, Mr Hinks said:

A look up there is on the cards. KJS at Aston has some pegs I can manage, Aston has been very busy. Like I said the coolers weather may keep folk home.

Keeps me home!

KJS Aston often has matches but can be quiet when there isn't. You can park near the dam wall and fish from there. Short walk, easy access - but near the road. Might be worth a look though.

Harlesthorpe dam (I know we are getting further and further away) has a decent stamp of silvers and easy access on one side near the car park at least. Needed to be there early doors in the summer to get a peg. 

My issue with both KJS Aston and Aston Park is the access road, our car springs just isn't worth the risk. 

Fishing on Aston park in particular is excellent. Both fisheries are good for silver fish.

Phyllis lake is said not to be a runs water IE low carp stock, that's OK by me, really not enough room for me I'm thinking my pursuit of a suitable fishery is going to be fruitless unless I travel a little further, which I'm unable to do.

With the pandemic increase in our area I'm going into another self imposed lock down so fishing is a long way off at the moment.

Until things settle down and folks get back to work it looks like the only business to profit from the pandemic will be fisheries.

Mr Hinks,  I have just remembered another fishery which is out near Dinnington called Leger lakes, it has a café on site but im unsure what the access would be like for you, its on East Field Lane S25 1ZY 

Yes Dave I looked at ledger lake, it's not really suitable. the water is not big, it's just too far from the car park for me. 

Mr Hinks

Give Ravenfield Ponds a look they have a website and Facebook page, car parking is close to each of the ponds, once you have driven down the entry road the venue is relatively flat and accessible

Their website provides details on the fish stocked in each pond

The ponds are not that far from S13

23 hours ago, Mr Hinks said:

Yes Dave I looked at ledger lake, it's not really suitable. the water is not big, it's just too far from the car park for me. 

I must admit I have always enjoyed fishing the bottom pond at Carterhall, it did have plenty of Ide and Tench in originally but predominately smallish Carp, the pegs near the car park always produced well but the downside was having people walk behind you so not so tranquil that why I always went on the far bank, either pm Jef51 who I believe is/was the bailiff and Jill the owner is lovely and will give you plenty of info, all the best mate,    

Edited by DaveGas