Local dialect of sheffield

Probably because there is room for something else.

If my father was served a cuckoo, he would ask "can tha gerra double whisky in theer?" If the answer came back "ah", he would say "well fill 't bugger up then". I think he might have come close to getting gobbed on occasion but I don't think he ever actually was.

Edited by Puffin4

Grinder

When I saw your pen name and the subject 'cuckoo'.

If the old Grinders made a mess of a job and the piece was scrapped they called it a 'cuckoo'.

The other grinders would make the cuckoo call.

I remember this tradition continuing when I worked in the steelworks.

PopT

Its a shame that my relative DouggieD was lambasted on this forum for using such language and obvious geographical language euphamisms because he could have taught you a few choice sayings from around cudworth and grimesthorpe from the pit lads... Shame...

if my dad ever got served a cuckoo he would ask; do you like cockles? if the reply was yes he say ;;well get some while,t tides out.

Great stuff! Sycamore66j.

Do post more, that was a hoot.

PopT

thanks popt. another of my dads favourite sayings is ,when he heres anyone bragging about there driving skills he always says ;; av skidded moor miles backwards in,t fog!!

On 05/03/2009 at 23:02, Plain Talker said:

In times gone by, I'd often be found "scrattin' " for a few pence to get a loaf and some milk!

My Gran would describe something as "tozzin" if it was a "Bobby-Dazzler" ;);)

I've heard older people say they were so skint they were "scrattin' our arses"

On 21/06/2006 at 11:02, Till Man said:

One more for the list:-

Where does "Wazzerk" come from?:huh:

Or Pillock. 😁

On 28/12/2007 at 01:04, Eater Sundae said:

...and another point,

to my ear, and the way I speak, it's not " t'coil-oil ", it's just " 'coil-oil ". ie I don't shorten " the " to " t' ", it disappears completely

How do others hear and say "the"?

Edit. Example - " I've been daarn in 'cellar. "

The (tut) sound is either a replacement for the 'the' connective or an abbreviation of 'to', so.. 'I'm gooin 'tut shop,' or, 'gunnat shop'. 

Quote - Eater Sundae

and another point,

to my ear, and the way I speak, it's not " t'coil-oil ", it's just " 'coil-oil ". ie I don't shorten " the " to " t' ", it disappears completely

How do others hear and say "the"?

Edit. Example - " I've been daarn in 'cellar. "

Technically its known as a glottal stop "a consonant formed by the audible release of the airstream after complete closure of the glottis. It is widespread in some non-standard English accents and in some other languages."

You hear it in some pronunciations of water, bitter, better, city where it's  written as wa'er, bi'er, be'er and ci'y.

THERE IS NO LETTER T,  AND IT REALLY ANNOYS ME when people trying to mimic or make fun of the Yorkshire accent add a t.

(Or perhaps I'm just getting old and cantankerous) :hihi:

I used to live on the border between Sheffield Yorkshire and Dronfield Derbyshire and the people who lived a few hundred yards away in Dronfield had a completely different accent.

I also found the same between Woodhouse and Beighton.