Local dialect of sheffield

They used to say, 'He'd worry a rat if they'd let 'im."

In other words he was capable of doing anything, diabolical.

Happy Days!

Does anyone use 'pan' meaning to 'wear in' such as, 'I'll have to pan these shoes'?

I thought it was 'pad in' - ie make them soft and comfortable enough to 'pad' about in :D

I always thought canker would be something like the disease that apples get, or like impetigo or something :confused: something nasty anyway.

King cough? I thought that was 'kink cough' something like tb, maybe?

Strange how we all hear different words when we're listening to people, especially dialect words that mostly don't get written down anywhere. Today I hear (young) people using the old sayings either totally out of context or using the wrong words, they obviously have no idea what they mean ... 'off his own back' being a fave, and 'I'll swing for him' another :D

I remember in Sheffield being accused of "cleckin'" when I should have been working. But just up the road in Halifax we had some lovely phrases :

"'Od thi din" meaning shut up

"Cryin' tears as big as chapel 'at pegs"

"Ee, she's a mouth like a riven pocket".

And i well remember when I first came to work in Sheffield in the 70's being asked by an old lady "Wheers 't stowers ?" I pointed out a row of shops. "Nay, lass t' stowers". It wasn't for a long time that I found out she meant the Co-op.

that'll have been "hold thi din," (we also would say "hold thi 'orses" if someone was getting ahead of themselves.)

chapel hat-pegs... hmm, ;) it weren't tears we used the phrase CHP's to describe *coff* :blush:;)

a mouth like a ripped pocket, eh? now that one is even better as a descriptive phrase than "moo-er rattle than a can o' mabs!"

and in our family, the "stoo-ers" (the " 'stores") was what we calaled the co-op, too. (And, incidentally, my father, aged nearly 70, can STILL remember what my grandma's "divvi" number was!)

and ruby, we called it "'t' kink-cough" too, I wonder if it was "whooping cough" that was meant? ( BTW, we 'panned' our new shoes in, as well!")

Another saying was "that'll stop his gallop'.

Often used when someone was getting ahead of himself and getting self important and then having some misfortune.

Happy Days!

that'll have been "hold thi din," (we also would say "hold thi 'orses" if someone was getting ahead of themselves.)

chapel hat-pegs... hmm, ;) it weren't tears we used the phrase CHP's to describe *coff* :blush:;)

'old thi din' Stop that noise ,shut up

Probably been mentioned ' rurrin' for crying.

'Chapel hat pegs' anything that protrudes 'She's got tits like chapel hat pegs.

I can also remember our co-op number plus the people who lived next door .When you went to the shops you would ask the neighbour "Do you want anything bringing back" If it was from the co-op you gave your neighbour's number

hi, reading this thread really brings it all back brilliant, made me think of a word my dad used to describe anyone who big headed or fancied themself,

larey

My Dad used to describe anybody who was 'big headed'

"He's Gorra Hee-ad, as big as a fifty bob cabbage"

Happy Days!

The book Sheffieldish is a good read....

Mi old step father writ it tin 80's

:) 'Ta' to each and every one of you who have shared your recollections on this thread. So many of them remind me of particular situations I had mainly forgotten about so that I can just picture them as though it was yesterday.

am tekkin dog rahnd lump

as tha got any gobbo fer in t'oil? : Have you any filler for in the hole?

Tha rattles like a can o mabs : you never shut up (like a can of marbles)

Does anyone know what the Set Pot Stick is?

I should think the set pot stick is for stirring up the set pots.One of the sayings that come from that is ,Hes got an eyad like a setpot(big headed).

My mum used to use the phrase "it's like wreck o't esperess" if she came home and found the house in a bit of a mess. My dad used the word trazzing for speeding or going fast. A dolly posher was a left hander (like me) they also used spice for sweets and gee it some welly (put a lot of effort into it) guzz like sh+t oft shovel,(moves very quick). I love the Sheffield speak and hope it never dies out.:)

My dad used the word trazzing for speeding or going fast.

When was that then? It sounds so up to date! Great phrase! Never heard that before.

They also used spice for sweets
What a classic! We still do in our family!

Like sh+t oft shovel,(moves very quick).

Just how I described my new car the first time I took it on the motorway! Brilliant!

I love the Sheffield speak and hope it never dies out.:)

Couldn't agree more!:thumbsup: