Local dialect of sheffield

Heres another example ,that our rich Sheffield/South yorkshire dialect is eroding away. A lot of the younger generation refer to the chip-shop as the "chippie",(wimpy southern expression").when in fact we always called it the "Chip Oil",or the "Fish& Chip Oil".Its as nausiating as these plastic people who call a doctors nooat ,a "Sickie".(I bet them people wear scent, and thats just the men?).

The oil surely means "hole", I had been away from Sheffield for nearly 50yrs, I was in Brighton, asked a chap the way to a hotel. His reply was you're a long way from Sheffield, in a southern accent. I asked if he knew me , he said no, but that Sheffield accent gives you away. It was very confusing.

I've often heard a term that may be or not be a local colloquialism. If you had a pocket full of small change (all coppers ), it was known as 'brown soap'. Anybody ever heard that one before?
Only said this to my g-kids here in France, saved a box of 5c and ten c and said who's going to count all this brown soap, you can imagine the frowns! Arthur.

Blummin "ummer, i havent heard that one for years and years,well done. Babbies Heeads E"h

Recall [geroff mi tooas wi thi snotty nooas ]said by our next nieghbour to her small son who was only interupting her conversation with my Ma to ask for his nose to be wiped, was a standing joke for years Arthur.

i think your drifting off from Yorkshire/Sheffield dialect, Mate,or or as you spell it , meyt ??, ?is pure South Yorkshire dialect,Potted-dog certainly isnt. Its used allover England its just an old army slang word ,probably used during the Raj in India,

I don't know about that Paddy,no one has ever heard of potted dog down here in the south and when I bring some back down with me after going back to Sheffield no one as seen it before and a few of them are old army dogs themself.

If we were going out at night to a rough area, Dad used to say, "Gu steady toneet, thi eat the babbies up theer."

Happy Days!

jumping around like a scopril (= young squirrel ?).

siling down - yes I use that.

jumping around like a scopril (= young squirrel ?).

siling down - yes I use that.

that'd be "skopadiddle" (sp?) my ex M-in-L 's favourite phrase

Years ago, my wife and myself, on a trip to Arizona, visited the petrified forest National Park. There were a few people wandering around, looking at the various natural phenomena, including ourselves. We came to a massive tree, probably millions of years old, I said to my wife (who also comes from Sheffield ), ' Bloody hell, ow owd d'ya think this is?' There was this guy, just behind us, said to me 'Jeese, I haven't heard that accent for years'.

Turns out that his Mom and Dad came from Worksop, and had moved to the U.S. just after the war.

He said 'You can take the man out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the man. I think that's true.

My Nan used to say (if you were looking a bit gaumy (confused), or untidy - "you look like one o'clock arf struck". Not sure if this is yorkshire - most probably, and aplogies if I have telled thi this afooer.

'Gormy' is used nationwide.

I don't know about that Paddy,no one has ever heard of potted dog down here in the south and when I bring some back down with me after going back to Sheffield no one as seen it before and a few of them are old army dogs themself.

Neer mind potted dog, that set o'numbnuts dunt even noo abaht potted meight! Try askin fa corned dog n'all! They jus look at thi gone aht!

Had a run-in with some of the soft southern sods where I live a few days ago.

I was messing around and they were staring at me and I said "whats up wi thee?!"

I was then subjected to about 30 minuites of then saying crap like "Ewww (Southern accent southern accent) doest thou comest from ye bible?"

I also said Buwen.... "leg o lamb is alreyt but sum or em are all buwen"

The abuse... oh the abuse...

Years ago, my wife and myself, on a trip to Arizona, visited the petrified forest National Park.

Petrified! What did you do to it?

<fx: already has coat and flies into car-with-engine-already-running-in-anticipation>