Jump to content


Graves Park Rats

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

that would be a great idea,so easy to do in graves and many other parks,it would lower the cost of upkeep and the fencing could be paid for by various  donations via lottery ect and we could even include hides and small wetland areas,and then leave some cash to sort out the rat problem ect.

There is a very small wetland area in the Chantry meadow, however, they haven't put a hide up yet. As for the rats, if people stopped feeding the ducks the problem would be solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it needs the people of sheffield,mr rat man and a load of birds of prey to sort out this huge problem,before someone dies of the weils disease ,so come on dont joke about what could lead to death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My family & I did a 10k walk around Greaves Park yesterday for a mouth cancer charity. Despite promising the grandkids we'd be able to view packs of rats swarming across the fields, not one did we see. Imagine their disappointment. 

In addition, I walk my dogs there at least three times a week. Sometimes it's about 5.30 in the morning when we arrive. Generally we see squirrels and that's it.

I honestly don't think the problem is as bad as it's being made out to be on here. I work for a living so maybe in the day they come out more when I'm not there? You'll always get scavengers where people are messy. Public tidied up after themselves, the rats wouldn't be an issue. 

I'm never going to stop my g-kids feeding the ducks. Their aim's very good. No duck goes hungry.

Edited by wearysmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, melv said:

There is a very small wetland area in the Chantry meadow, however, they haven't put a hide up yet. As for the rats, if people stopped feeding the ducks the problem would be solved.

People like myself have been feeding the ducks and swans for 70 odd years and there wasn't a rat problem before.

Shortage of cash and lack of action on the Council's part is the problem.

Nothing ever gets dealt with until it's completely out of control.

The Council haven't heard of "a stitch in time".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to see them down by the ponds and around the cafe/playground area.  

4 hours ago, wearysmith said:

My family & I did a 10k walk around Greaves Park yesterday for a mouth cancer charity. Despite promising the grandkids we'd be able to view packs of rats swarming across the fields, not one did we see. Imagine their disappointment. 

In addition, I walk my dogs there at least three times a week. Sometimes it's about 5.30 in the morning when we arrive. Generally we see squirrels and that's it.

I honestly don't think the problem is as bad as it's being made out to be on here. I work for a living so maybe in the day they come out more when I'm not there? You'll always get scavengers where people are messy. Public tidied up after themselves, the rats wouldn't be an issue. 

I'm never going to stop my g-kids feeding the ducks. Their aim's very good. No duck goes hungry.

They obviously don't come out in swarms across the fields but there's certainly a lot of them about.  Well done by the way on your walk for the cancer charity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just visit the rose garden 5pmish or the middle pond and see them,they do exist and weils does kill people,it needs sorting asap,before someone is very ill or worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, katekate said:

Well done by the way on your walk for the cancer charity.

Thanks. Fun had, and social-distancing rules adhered to. The weather was vile for the first 2k, but as the morning developed it lightened and brightened. Less rainy and cold. 

The two year old and the seven year old bailed after the first circuit to play on the swings. Can't blame them.  Gave my asthmatic beloved the opportunity to bail too. Someone had to stay to watch over them 😀.

We still sent the money anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the area you spoke about (play area ) is a main rat area as well,so please beware,great that you raised money for your charity,but please be aware of these vermin as its so easy to catch this disease and it does kill ,especially young children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2020 at 12:45, Padders said:

I always thought rats were nocturnal ?

They usually are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 12:50, bassett one said:

it needs the people of sheffield,mr rat man and a load of birds of prey to sort out this huge problem,before someone dies of the weils disease ,so come on dont joke about what could lead to death.

I wonder to what degree that is really so. Admitted rats have got a bad name where in the past they have lived in the sewers and carried diseases back to the population. In the park though aren't they living a more natural life in the park grounds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10 October 2020 at 19:46, melv said:

There is a very small wetland area in the Chantry meadow, however, they haven't put a hide up yet. As for the rats, if people stopped feeding the ducks the problem would be solved.

The main reason rats are seen out in the daytime in parks is because they've lost their source of night time street food, they've been forced to change their  nocturnal habits as  humans adapt to Covid restrictions, that's the real cause of more sightings.

 

eventually if they run out of food sources, they'll start invading homes people see them as being bolder,  they are just hungry and following  their noses to find food.

 

if they don't find food sources then they'll eat their own.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rats have weils disease ,no matter where the live,urinate on the grass ,play areas ect,thats why i worry as it can cause great illness or death and they are a danger in any space,but childrens areas,the rose garden could cause big problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.