Graves Park Rats

You know the old saying, "There's always someone worse off." 

https://news.sky.com/story/australia-mice-plague-sees-rodents-biting-peoples-feet-and-crawling-over-their-faces-12305943

Here's Chicago's answer to their rat problems.  Releasing 1,000 feral cats. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chicago-rats-cats-tree-house-humane-society-b1846178.html

Trouble is, you might end up wiping out the local bird population?  

Edited by Baron99

the main problem,from what i can gather ,is the people leaving food for the ducks,left over picnics ,food from the cafe ect,ect,hope its now sorted and i can visit again ,its also a big issue with children,but its in 3 main areas,the rose garden,childrens play and pond areas.

well although some folk insisted this was untrue,in todays star ,theres a full page article and it says they now have put up warning signs,about the big problem,also about time they are warning the public to take home unused food and be carefull around the rose garden area as well,sorry cannot do a lead to the star as i am not great with that stuff,but iam sure someone will,for whats its worth i hate having to even mention this as its sheffields largest park and my favourite,well it is minus rowland and his mates,please help rid or lower these horrible animals from graves park

i was told today that the new cats ect have removed roland and his mates thats great news

33 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i was told today that the new cats ect have removed roland and his mates thats great news

What new cats?

yes catherine from the animal area said they have about 8 ferral cats now and this has helped ,plus the rat man and they have worked hard to lower the number of rats ,which is great,you cannot remove them all,but they are winning,congrats i say

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

yes catherine from the animal area said they have about 8 ferral cats now and this has helped ,plus the rat man and they have worked hard to lower the number of rats ,which is great,you cannot remove them all,but they are winning,congrats i say

The rat man might do some good but the cats will just drive them elsewhere. 

On 18/09/2020 at 17:46, bassett one said:

went there the other day myself and the wife,a nice warm day,UNTIL out popped 2 rats and then 2 more a bit further on,chatting to locals and they said it was awfull,due to children/adults feeding ducks and the rose garden was really bad,wont be going back until its sorted,terrified of  the disease they the rats carry as it can kill you,so sad ,i always think of the days when we had a boating pond and they did school canoe lessons and kids fished the pond and did line fishing and put there catch in the other pond as the boating pond was no fishing,icecreams,teas ect in the rose garden,hope SCC sort it,until i will avoid.

Won't the discarded wild Royal Pythons roaming the park finish the rats off?

On 18/09/2020 at 17:46, bassett one said:

went there the other day myself and the wife,a nice warm day,UNTIL out popped 2 rats and then 2 more a bit further on,chatting to locals and they said it was awfull,due to children/adults feeding ducks and the rose garden was really bad,wont be going back until its sorted,terrified of  the disease they the rats carry as it can kill you,so sad ,i always think of the days when we had a boating pond and they did school canoe lessons and kids fished the pond and did line fishing and put there catch in the other pond as the boating pond was no fishing,icecreams,teas ect in the rose garden,hope SCC sort it,until i will avoid.

Won't the discarded wild Royal Pythons roaming the park finish the rats off?

In Graves Park you have ground rats, here in west Somerset we have flying rats (herring gulls) who exist on eating vomit and fast food. Quite territorial this time of year and will attack you if you happen to pass by their chicks. Protected species ... WTF? £500 fine if you are caught feeding them.

I was in Graves Park yesterday and I thought the rat problem was as bad as ever and they’re not little things  either.  

Edited by katekate

OMG its awfull if thats true,where were they near the kids area or cafe?