Graves Park Rats

1 hour ago, Padders said:

If they had the same problem in the grounds of Buckingham Palace, or some other Royal Residence, they would be eradicated as soon as possible, no expense spared.

Can't speak for Buck House, but I've been to some prestigious venues with vermin problems.

dont make fun of rats being okay in the rose garden and childrens play area,if anyone thinks thats fine,and okay for children/babies to visit,must be silly,veils disease kills,i am not saying we can rid them all,its would just be safer for everyone to take away there litter,and let scc get on with there job of keeping the rat numbers down,so common sense is all the majority ask.

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

dont make fun of rats being okay in the rose garden and childrens play area,if anyone thinks thats fine,and okay for children/babies to visit,must be silly,veils disease kills,i am not saying we can rid them all,its would just be safer for everyone to take away there litter,and let scc get on with there job of keeping the rat numbers down,so common sense is all the majority ask.

Now we are getting there.

Stop littering and feeding. Don't interfere with pest control.

All you need to do is remove the scaremongering, add recommendation of basic hygiene practices and we would be seeing common sense.

I don't think people are trying to make fun of rats being in the Rose Garden, just trying to give a sense of perspective.

I don't think it's easy to contract Weil's disease from solid play equipment - it's most commonly passed to humans when they have been in contact with water contaminated with rat urine - and then you have to be immersed in the water, with an open wound.  Is that really going to happen in a play area?

You can potentially get tetanus from a rose thorn scratch - younger children won't be vaccinated against that so better keep them out of there just in case.

Covid-19 is less transmissible outdoors, but younger children are not known for their ability to social distance, so by all means stop taking them to the children's play area and help get out of this lockdown sooner...

well lets hope the scc parks/public all work together,sort it out and lets have a virtually rat free park ,work together on removal of our rubbish/leftover food and then we can get back on track to a safer,better park and not be worried,plus most folk dont like mr rat running in front of a family as the enjoy a day at sheffields ,biggest  park.

My relative caught the disease from a solid surface so anything is possible really.  We all know rats are everywhere but there's a hell of a lot of them in Graves Park.  Yes they may be in our gardens at home but if there's nothing for them to feed on they won't hang around for long.  Graves Park is the perfect breeding  ground for them due to the ponds, litter etc.  

When the council made the ridiculous decision to empty bins containing food waste only once a fortnight it was pointed out that this would lead to a rat problem, lo and behold what do we now have, if brains were dynamite they wouldn't blow their cap off.

are the park bins  emptied daily,but if so and its each morning ,they have all day/night to raid the bins and food left by ponds and the rose garden and round the picnic areas some near the childrens area,if thats the case,the bins and clean up needs sorting AM/PM,but then its cost,but it must be sorted,dont they have a friends of graves park that can help,if so bid for lidded bins in the garden/pond area,theres lots of cash for friends groups and that would help SCC parks dept as well as help keep the park safer.

11 hours ago, bassett one said:

are the park bins  emptied daily,but if so and its each morning ,they have all day/night to raid the bins and food left by ponds and the rose garden and round the picnic areas some near the childrens area,if thats the case,the bins and clean up needs sorting AM/PM,but then its cost,but it must be sorted,dont they have a friends of graves park that can help,if so bid for lidded bins in the garden/pond area,theres lots of cash for friends groups and that would help SCC parks dept as well as help keep the park safer.

What they could have done Mr. B. is used the opportunity of Covid, and closed the park during restrictions.

Then they could have had a blitz on the problem. Good clean up of the area, and loads of Rat poison or whatever they use to get rid of them.

To be fair we're having a rat problem at home at the minute and we've  had the environmental health come and put poison down but the rats aren't touching it.  I think we've come to a point where the rats are not taking poison like they used to.  They told me that the rats should be drawn to the poison but they certainly aren't.

Edited by katekate

padders rat poison doesnt work ,if someones fillied the rat boxes with foam filler,who pays for the replacements,take it the sheffield tax payers,