Graves Park Rats

sorry you feel theres no rats,but honestly there are,havent you seen all the rat bait boxes,spoke to local lib/dem councillors and they said it was a problem that got worse due to covid 19 and lots of bread being left in the park,dont understand the covid 19 bit unless it meant the rat people couldnt do there job,but you have to read on here its rife,i love the park ,but its off putting and needs sorting.

On 10/10/2020 at 19:46, melv said:

There is a very small wetland area in the Chantry meadow, however, they haven't put a hide up yet. As for the rats, if people stopped feeding the ducks the problem would be solved.

Thats hit the nail on the head

i think the none feeding or overfeeding of ducks ,leaving bread around doesnt help and food left out in the rose garden area,i am not trying to knock my favourite park ,but to say they are not there is untrue,but the councillors are on the case,so with them and the rat man and the public,i hope we can get it sorted.

I totally agree with Bassett one.  I won't go to Graves Park as I can't bear the rats darting out and running across the footpaths.  This is a big problem as its not just one or two, there's loads of them.  For me its just about it not being nice seeing them when you're out for a nice walk around the park, it puts me off and kind of makes the place feel dirty.  I've seen them on the playground when kids have been playing, it's just not nice.

thank you for that as some people thought i was imagining them,so lets hope scc sort it and we can safely get back to normal.thank you

5 hours ago, katekate said:

I totally agree with Bassett one.  I won't go to Graves Park as I can't bear the rats darting out and running across the footpaths.  This is a big problem as its not just one or two, there's loads of them.  For me its just about it not being nice seeing them when you're out for a nice walk around the park, it puts me off and kind of makes the place feel dirty.  I've seen them on the playground when kids have been playing, it's just not nice.

If you won't go to Graves Park, how do you know if they're rats there?

I was in there a couple of times last week and never saw any.

24 minutes ago, melv said:

If you won't go to Graves Park, how do you know if they're rats there?

I was in there a couple of times last week and never saw any.

Because over the summer I went several times but won't go again as they were everywhere.  They need sorting as its out of control.  Myself and Bassett One have no reason to make this up.

but also over the summer alot of people used the park, had picnics, will have left food - now its much colder and this isn't happening the rats will probably just move on or die.   If people are still seeing the rats throughout winter that would be different. 

4 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

but also over the summer alot of people used the park, had picnics, will have left food - now its much colder and this isn't happening the rats will probably just move on or die.   If people are still seeing the rats throughout winter that would be different. 

Genuine question, why would it be different in winter? Rats, to the best of my knowledge, don’t hibernate and still need to eat. If graves park is anything like rother valley, because of “lockdown” it’s busy 7 days out of 7.

Graves Park was no different to many places this summer. I had them in my shed, as did many of my neighbours. Allotments were affected as well, many tenants lost seeds to them. A mild winter along with less disturbance during lockdown was thought to be the reason. 

If people drop food in the playground and throw bread on the pond bank it will encourage them. Signs were fastened to the railings on both ponds, but people ignored them and eventually were ripped down.