Graves Park Rats

sheffield now being classed as one of englands worse for rats,plus lots at pagehall,city parks,its unbelievable

As a kid, Graves Park was one of my stomping grounds, me and my pals were there most weekends (in good weather) and spent most of the school holidays there.  Never saw a rat.

At School, we would run through the park, doing cross country runs in P.E., never saw a rat.

Yeas ago, me and some mates used Graves Park as a practice place for jogging/running, on Sunday mornings, when it was quiet, we would run from the bottom playground (Chesterfield Road end, near the Big Tree pub) up to the boating ponds, around the ponds a few times, up to the Pavilion, and back down to the bottom playground, never saw a rat.

On the last two occasions I was in the park (last  3 -5  years), I saw rats in broad daylight around the boating pond areas, and not just one, quite a few of them.  Also on the path from the boating pond up the Pavilion (the left hand path, as you walk up).

I guess my point is, Covid has nothing to do with this.  There were no sightings back in 70's and 80's, that I ever heard of.  In fact I can't remember anyone ever saying they had seen a rat, in junior or senior school.  People fed the birds and the ducks and threw bread into the fishing ponds, and never saw a rat.  These days though, different matter. 

i agree i also spent many hours there,school canoe lessions and fishing ect,ect,never saw a rat ,now the whole pond area,eating area and playground ,see loads of them,its dangerous with babys,toddlers and young mums to be ect,ect.

3 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i agree i also spent many hours there,school canoe lessions and fishing ect,ect,never saw a rat ,now the whole pond area,eating area and playground ,see loads of them,its dangerous with babys,toddlers and young mums to be ect,ect.

Been reading this thread with interest, seems like It's a massive problem..

Why can't they just tape of the area's for a few weeks, get the Ratman in, flood it with poison and kill them off.

i agree but its a huge area round 2 ponds,then the play area and the rose garden area and thats only to my knowledge,so that would close 3 main areas,they have put down bait boxes ect,but they really have took over,myself and the wife wont visit until sorted,but its the danger to life ie kids area,rose garden a big worry.

On 30/10/2020 at 10:41, Padders said:

Been reading this thread with interest, seems like It's a massive problem..

Why can't they just tape of the area's for a few weeks, get the Ratman in, flood it with poison and kill them off.

Too costly. 

Rats have a right to live. 

14 minutes ago, hello1964 said:

Too costly. 

Rats have a right to live. 

Of course they do, but they have to be controlled.

They are vermin and spread disease.

1 minute ago, enntee said:

Because it isn't a massive problem.

I wouldn't know, I personally never visit Graves Park, 

But according to Bassett, It's a big problem.

5 minutes ago, enntee said:

I walk past these ponds 3 times a week.

Seen the traps.

Never seen a rat in 5 years.

I live within walking distance of Longley Park, Firth Park, And Concord Park,  and to be fair I've never seen any rats.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Of course they do, but they have to be controlled.

They are vermin and spread disease.

To quote Kryten: "reminds me of a species sitting not a million miles away from me now"...

all i can say myself and many others see lots of rats around the rose garden,childrens play area and boating lake/fishing pond,its horrid hope they sort it,its not safe for kiddies in these areas,but hope it can be sorted this winter,but i wont be visiting anytime soon

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

all i can say myself and many others see lots of rats around the rose garden,childrens play area and boating lake/fishing pond,its horrid hope they sort it,its not safe for kiddies in these areas,but hope it can be sorted this winter,but i wont be visiting anytime soon

Is the children's play area not closed at the moment? The one in Hillsborough Park is (though people are ignoring it). 

I'd worry more about picking up covid-19 from the play equipment than any rat borne disease, to be honest...